• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbies 😂🙄

gotdads68

Contributor
I can't be the only one that finds the new bronco owners questions/comments amusing? Being a Bronco owner for over 30 years, you just gotta love the "I'm a Bronco rookie, can you help me?" threads to some extent. ......bi@@hes we've been doing this for years. 😜

Justin Palmer

Contributor
And you too were a first time Bronco owner at one time and probably had some pretty amusing questions as well. One day we will be dead and the younger generation will hopefully still love these things. Welcome all the questions regardless of how amusing they are to you.

OP
OP
gotdads68

gotdads68

Contributor
^I get your point but my point was that the current generation of Bronco owners are miles away from the original crew, they aren't enthusiasts on the level that the ones that grew up with these great 4x4s are.....still the enthusiasm is commendable and keeps the hobby alive!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Look at my join date. It boggles my mind that I've been a member here for 19 years. Right around the time I joined this site, I began working with a guy my age who had learned to work on cars when he was in high school. Between Scott and the patient members on this board who knew WAY more than I did, I became a pretty decent shade tree mechanic and learned more about Broncos than I ever knew there was to know.

I'm happy to pass on that knowledge and answer any rookie question I can since so many others helped me learn the ropes over the years.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the main difference, some people don’t try do things themselves anymore.
My first I didn’t have internet, didn’t just ask somebody. We had to figure it out.
I was lucky my older brother and dad were very both engineers and loved cars.
But that’s how you learned, even when I was new at it I didn’t immediately ask anyone until I exhausted ever optioned by trial and error, to try to do it myself first

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think a lot of it has to with technology and how far advanced vehicles have become over the past few decades. Yes, I get that at the bottom of the wiring, injection systems, and emissions, lives and breathes a four stroke engine, but getting to it is not as simple as popping the hood and removing an air cleaner housing to expose a carb and intake.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
And you too were a first time Bronco owner at one time and probably had some pretty amusing questions as well. One day we will be dead and the younger generation will hopefully still love these things. Welcome all the questions regardless of how amusing they are to you.

That's what I'm thinking. Sheesh, more dividing instead of coming/working together.

In my 35 years years in the electrical field, and 11 years in the National Corvette Restorers Society, sharing info in a positive way helps keep the occupation/hobby moving forward.

Edit: I should add, the union electrical industry requires continuing education every year to help keep everyone informed. Also, the NCRS offers informal get togethers, and formal judging events that welcome anyone to attend to learn about every nut and bolt. Been there, and that group can not be beat for inclusion. Cheers to the NCRS.

Last edited:

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
I think a lot of it has to with technology and how far advanced vehicles have become over the past few decades. Yes, I get that at the bottom of the wiring, injection systems, and emissions, lives and breathes a four stroke engine, but getting to it is not as simple as popping the hood and removing an air cleaner housing to expose a carb and intake.

Yes, 'todays' vehicles go 100,000 miles or more before a 'tune up'. And, then what can the owner do? For the Classic Bronco, this forum passes information and personal experiences that newbees would not find without Classic Broncos.

OP
OP
gotdads68

gotdads68

Contributor
I think the main difference, some people don’t try do things themselves anymore.
My first I didn’t have internet, didn’t just ask somebody. We had to figure it out.
But that’s how you learned, even when I was new at it I didn’t immediately ask anyone until I exhausted ever optioned by trial and error, to try to do it myself first

This was the basic idea of my original lighthearted comment. I own my dads bronco that he bought in '67 six years before I was born, so I grew up learning my way around them the old fashion way, either from my dad or friends or books. Some questions just seem too quickly asked without researching knowledge that's been on here for years. There's a lot of new excited bronco owners that I have no problems helping, as long as they're true enthusiasts that are in for the long haul and not just buying a chihuahua because they thought it looked cute in the commercial.

BoltTurner

I think what you are saying is, do a search before you post. That applies to newbies as well and experts.

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
^I get your point but my point was that the current generation of Bronco owners are miles away from the original crew, they aren't enthusiasts on the level that the ones that grew up with these great 4x4s are.....still the enthusiasm is commendable and keeps the hobby alive!

I actually disagree with this for this reason. When was the last production model of the Broncos we drive? You and I likely grew up with model that were at least within the 10 year old range. That's not the case now. I'd wager than any of the younger generation out there trying to get into an early Bronco are just as much if not more of an enthusiast than we were. They are actually seeking out classic's.

On another note, I'm not new to Broncos.. but I still ask all the silly questions.;D

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up. And you continue to learn as you age, mature, and stay with the changes that occur over the years.
Remember that as you want to scream when someone asks a question that seems to have been asked a 100 times.

You may become a teacher, but you never stop being a student.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Agree with both points... lot different these days than say 20 yrs ago....

1buckeyefan1

Everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up. And you continue to learn as you age, mature, and stay with the changes that occur over the years.
Remember that as you want to scream when someone asks a question that seems to have been asked a 100 times.

You may become a teacher, but you never stop being a student.

This is the mindset that keeps this community and forum going. Doug & others had been kind enough to answer most any question I've tossed out there in my last 3yrs and probably have dozens more to come.

IMO, your post count (and answers/help you've provided to others..especially pics :) ) carry much more credibility than your join date.

mustanggarage

Contributor
I don’t know what you consider a newbie. I joined 2 years ago so I guess I’m a newbie to this site. But I have been involved in the Ford hobby since 1982. Back then there was 1 mustang magazine that I used to learn how to do a lot of stuff on mustangs. And my Dad was a mechanic so I learned a lot from him so I have a lot of experience in other Ford’s. But the point of this post is that my way of learning and doing has changed over the years. Like I said initially it was from Dad and magazines. Then over time I shifted to doing a lot of surfing Internet forums. Over the last couple years after the photobucket disaster I shifted more to Facebook and you tube. I have found over the years that just figuring it out as I used to, is not always the best way so now if I don’t know how to do something I can look it up and watch a video. So I break less stuff and don’t waste as much time or money. Asking questions is the fastest way to get answers. And my time is worth something.besides I like talking to like minded people about my hobbies. I don’t have any friends that are into this since my Dad passed last year

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I've been on here for a fair bit and still have to ask questions if I don't happen to find the right thread. If it doesn't come up quickly in a search, I'll ask the question.

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

My back ground is more mechanic/fabricator and engineer out of necessity. I like Bronco’s and have made a lot of very special friends cost to coast, many of them with introductions that started right here.

There are no dumb questions, just a lot of dumb answers. If your willing to listen and help your self, I’ll do anything I can to help anyone, and sometimes I learn from it too.

And I’m the guy at face value a lot of guys wanted to burn at the stake, now I consider many of those guys friends.

Jakedog

I bought my first one in 1990, and it was a 1975. So it was only 15 years old when I bought it. It was a ranger pkg in really good shape and I paid $3700 for it. I was only 19 at the time and it was my daily driver. To be honest $3700 was not that hard to save up.
Luckily I had a dad that was there to help me out, but he had never owned a 4x4, so there were still a lot of unanswered questions.
Between the 4x4 mags and John at K bar S I learned a lot.

A 19 year old kid today can't even touch a daily driver Bronco. So when someone younger can finally afford one they have a lot of questions about the old iron. Some of the questions seem simple to some of us, but for those who didn't grow up around old iron it's just not that simple.

mac14562

MustangGarage, you and I are twin sons from different mothers(Dan Fogelberg/Tim Weisberg reference;D). I was into the Mustangs starting in 1979. I knew what Broncos were, only because my high school crush drove a 74' emberglow one but I had no interest in having one. I had never even owned a 4wd until 17 years ago when I made a career change that required it. While I've had CJs, YJs and TJs since, I'd really wanted a Bronco but couldn't afford the time to restore one and definitely couldn't afford to buy one already done. With retirement coming soon, I finally decided to buy one to restore. I had trolled several Bronco forums trying to find one but I especially liked this one because of all the useful information and people genuinely wanting to help. I've gained a lot of knowledge from just reading the threads but there is so much more to gain. I'm extremely thankful for this forum and its members because truthfully, I made too many mistakes trying to restore Mustangs by trial and error. Restoring a Bronco is going to be a whole lot more enjoyable because of every one of y'all.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
MustangGarage, you and I are twin sons from different mothers(Dan Fogelberg/Tim Weisberg reference;D). I was into the Mustangs starting in 1979. I knew what Broncos were, only because my high school crush drove a 74' emberglow one but I had no interest in having one. I had never even owned a 4wd until 17 years ago when I made a career change that required it. While I've had CJs, YJs and TJs since, I'd really wanted a Bronco but couldn't afford the time to restore one and definitely couldn't afford to buy one already done. With retirement coming soon, I finally decided to buy one to restore. I had trolled several Bronco forums trying to find one but I especially liked this one because of all the useful information and people genuinely wanting to help. I've gained a lot of knowledge from just reading the threads but there is so much more to gain. I'm extremely thankful for this forum and its members because truthfully, I made too many mistakes trying to restore Mustangs by trial and error. Restoring a Bronco is going to be a whole lot more enjoyable because of every one of y'all.

And then there's the random posting from a newbie from somewhere that brings back memories.

I spent 2 years in Owasso going to Spartan. I also had to sell my first Bronco there because I couldn't afford to fix it. :cry: A '67 that was a hotrod back in '76.

The 1 grocery store was called Wells (after the guy that owned half the town).