• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build Thread - Phase 1 Undoing Teenage Mistakes

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
make it happen :)

mistakes all part of the learning process

Taking everyone along for the ride of my '77 Bronco's first foray into undoing many of the mistakes I made during my teenage years.

I first bought the then "engineless" steed when I was 16, and I had enlisted my diesel mechanic uncle to finish an EFI conversion the PO never figured out. Eventually we got the SD Town Car motor running, and I began making many choices/modifications I now regret.

On the docket for Phase 1 (drivetrain - taking on body work in Phase 2):

- Rebuilding 2001 Explorer block to 347
- 4R70w conversion from old 3 speed
- Hydro boost install
- Various other supporting improvements

Here's to me for good luck - I will need it! I started in September 2020, and moving forward while trying to keep a 5 and 2 year old entertained has proved a formidable task!

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Mistake #1 - parts that don't fit, coupled with subpar custom-fit solution:

Once I had got the old speed density town car engine going, I decided the most logical next step was to get growly badass dual exhaust.

Now you can't have any cool points with exhaust and keep manifolds, so of course I bought headers to go with. For whatever reason at the time, I decided on BBK shorty unequal length headers. Probably because they were featured in the Summit print catalog in the mustang section with a sweet picture.

When I attempted to install, I found that the driver side ran directly into the manual clutch linkage. So how in the heck was I going to fix that?

I consulted my elder good friend race car and drag bike builder, who asked, "So they make custom fit headers specifically for the Bronco, and you decided to buy something else?" A logical question, and one I remember as a guiding light to this day.

Instead of buying different headers, I came across the hydraulic clutch linkage tech article here. I gathered the parts and low and behold it actually worked quite well...for a time. My teenage mind didn't think heat shields were necessary, and of course the duals ran inches away from the slave cylinder and hydraulic line.

This was boiling the fluid and ruining the seals in the slave, and needed replacement within a year. Oh well, lesson learned, do it right the first time. Buy parts that fit, or make sure to understand the running conditions you're dealing with .

The upside to the BBKs is that they are one of the few shorties that fit the GT40p heads, so with some cleanup they'll work for my new build here (assuming I don't find any pinholes).
9b05abe085ba78323d8ec92a13aabe4e.jpg
9dfacbda11040d0f4ede16dcc76870ef.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Does your wife know you had the greasy block in here car? ;D
Looks like something I would do then get my butt chewed when I got home.

Looking good. This will be fun to follow.

lol, let's hope she don't..

71_Sport

Seafoam Green. I just learned that was the original color of mine, too. I might return it to that.

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Seafoam Green. I just learned that was the original color of mine, too. I might return it to that.
Looked up the code on mine and it's "Light Jade". Hated it when I first got it, now I love it (or what I can still see of it).

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Got the heads back last week, super excited to run these.

What: GT40Ps
Why: because old Ford iron is cool, and will provide the performance I am looking for without breaking the rest of my drivetrain.

Had I done more upgrades many years ago, I'd probably go aluminum. But there just something awesome about old Ford iron that feels right.

Surfaced, new valves, beehive springs, seals, and unfortunately these needed new guides as well.

Got all the valve train gear from Alex's Parts. Machinist was really impressed with the spring kit, everything came out to advertised heights and seat pressures were spot on. Alex's has them made by PAC racing springs.

Will be using an MLS gasket, thickness TBD after I measure the block.
c5dc68f5c8a05016eccc43f4f8066431.jpg
4d386fc5c0308f1933deb0094d2bbf01.jpg

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Well started tearing into the tranny, guess I should have double checked that the fluid was drained ,soaked my fresh sheet of plywood.

Interesting finds so far, missing filter, and this strange Ford label on the valve body that appears to say "Da Page"? Anyone know what that's about?
7ef3ad8233398fff6158c208f15c78e6.jpg
6d4383ac6c3c964738a54b41fac231a4.jpg
60917ada0027b2a38600a8103c7e3a98.jpg