• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scoop's 72 Patina Build

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
what was it that got the lower door there, an old speaker cut out?

House

Minutia Militia
Cool truck!
I have a top from Florida like that too. Agreed, condensation...
How is the engine compartment?

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
Congrats. Pics and purchases like this makes me reminiscence and regret selling my very 1st EB. I was a struggling college student and my pockets weren't deep enough to get it running.

Have fun with it.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The engine compartment is in great shape. Surface rust with some pitting only on the top of the passenger side wheel well. Those spots on the inner fender near the firewall? The places that ALWAYS rust? Just some surface rust. The discoloration is mostly undercoating overspray. Worst part under the hood is the battery tray - pretty much shot and the first part I have ordered!

I gutted the interior to see what was under the glued-on outdoor carpeting. I still need to remove the riveted-in front floor boards to see how bad the floorboards are. The bed is in great shape - again only some scratches and minor surface rust.

But another spot of rust in an odd place! The bottom of tailgate is rust free but the upper part on the passenger side has some rot. Cant figure that one out unless it was outside with the tailgate down for a while??

Lastly I removed the big heavy bumper off the front. It was welded and bolted on. They had to have built the bumper after they mounted the C-channel - the tube on the push bar was welded over the bolts where you couldn't get to the bolts. Then it was welded to the frame. It was a pain to get off.

Attachments

• IMG_7519.jpg
    IMG_7519.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_7529.jpg
    IMG_7529.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_7530.jpg
    IMG_7530.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_7527.jpg
    IMG_7527.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_7526.jpg
    IMG_7526.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_7521.jpg
    IMG_7521.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_7520.jpg
    IMG_7520.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 208

gick70

Not that your inner fenders are rotted,what made the inner fenders rot where they usually do?

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Not that your inner fenders are rotted,what made the inner fenders rot where they usually do?

Two sheets of metal spot welded together that trap moisture and dirt dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Two sheets of metal spot welded together that trap moisture and dirt dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, a poor design feature of the Bronco - but I doubt the original designers had any idea they would be so popular 50 years later!

Hey Scoop, I'm glad to see that retirement is treating you well!!!!;D;D;D

Nice rig!!!

Thanks Ben! I have yet to wake up in the morning and say to myself "Darn, I wish I was going to work today."

So, a new distributer and coil and with a little gas poured down the carb, it started right up. I need to flush out the tanks and check out the fuel pump (the seller didn't think it was working) before I fill the tanks and get it running properly.

Hopstr

Contributor
Looks like a pretty solid Bronco, Gary. I like the patina too. It’s in good hands.

Pearlcoat

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You've gotten a lot done since I saw this Bronco last week. Glad it's turning out even better than it seemed when you bought it. I know where there is a practically new STC soft top and a new still-in-the-box stock bumper, at really good prices ;D. Anyone headed to TX from the Washington DC area to Austin or surrounding area anytime soon? Maybe we could create a delivery caravan.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
You've gotten a lot done since I saw this Bronco last week. Glad it's turning out even better than it seemed when you bought it. I know where there is a practically new STC soft top and a new still-in-the-box stock bumper, at really good prices ;D. Anyone headed to TX from the Washington DC area to Austin or surrounding area anytime soon? Maybe we could create a delivery caravan.

Sold! I'll take them!!

It's coming along good. I flushed both gas tanks and got it running on Sunday. Now I need to tackle the brakes.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Some progress the past few days - I got it running good enough to get it on the lift to start the brake job. It took a new fuel pump, new distributor, new coil and a build of the carb to get it running. The brakes look terrible! the rear passenger side is full of either 90 wt oil from a leaking axle seal or brake fluid from a leaking wheel cylinder - not sure which yet. The front passenger hub was full of water and the bearings were pretty much rusted up. Anyway, got the parts on order and I'm in the process of cleaning the parts now. I also got the carpeting pulled out, the interior cleaned up some and the front seats re-installed. Worst part was getting the all glue that held the carpet in removed.

Attachments

• IMG_7549.jpg
    IMG_7549.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7546.jpg
    IMG_7546.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7544.jpg
    IMG_7544.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
It's ALIIIIVE!!

After a full brake job, all wheel bearing replaced, new battery, new fuel pump, new distributor, new wires, new coil, and after replacing the carb with a used carb i already had, it's running and driving very good!

IMG_0008_402438043.JPG

IMG_0007_443454198.JPG

Now I'm off to the LEBC Central Texas Meet & Greet in Lakeway. This Bronco has not been registered and on the street since 2003. I hope it makes a 40 mile round trip OK!!

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thanks Ben! Yes, that lift really comes in handy for a retired guy!

Well I made it all the way there and back. Only had to stop once to unbind the 3-on-the-tree linkage. Looks the column shifter will need a rebuild. Or a floor shifter conversion. Or upgrade to an automatic. Or . . .

So many possibilities!

IMG_0019_79971871.JPG

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Nice I'll have to get a pic of my 73 dash pad its about as bad as yours. my 71 is getting there to. Im not replacing them until I get some shade built. The AZ sun tears everything up

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I think I'm going to leave the dash pad off. But I need to take the top off first to get to the back side screws.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
But I need to take the top off first to get to the back side screws.

And while you have the top off, you might as well________________________________________!!

Fill in the blank!!!:cool:;D:cool: