• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wimbledon white really yellow?

smittymike19

Just bought a can of duplicolor rattle can Wimbledon white and was really surprised how yellow it is. Looks like an office file cabinet folder. Is that the correct color of Wimbledon white? I’ve looked at a bunch of broncos with Wimbledon white grills and they don’t seem as yellow. Anyone else think Wimbledon white is not even close to white? Pictures would be appreciated as I’m getting ready to powder coat my rims and want to see pics, thanks!!

Last edited:

rmk57

I painted the rear trunk area of another project Wimbledon white and it almost scared me how dark it was pouring it in the spray gun. Once it was on the car it looked right. Yes, there is lots of brown in it.

chuckyb

Contributor
It’s definitely got a yellow tint to it especially if you have something bright white next to it. I would describe more as cream than white. Here’s a pic of my WW Mustang and Bronco w/ WW top.

Attachments

• 3A7DA1BA-A719-43CA-AFC1-EE356CF0392C.jpg
    3A7DA1BA-A719-43CA-AFC1-EE356CF0392C.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 166

rpmgarage22

It’s definitely got a yellow tint to it especially if you have something bright white next to it. I would describe more as cream than white. Here’s a pic of my WW Mustang and Bronco w/ WW top.

Yep. Chucky nailed it.

I had a 65 WW Mustang and wanted to paint my Oliver Green (yes, the tractor green) 75 F100 to match since I was using it to pull the trailer. I had my local Paint Princess, Miss Karen, mix up some PPG base for me. When she showed it to me, I thought she must have misunderstood. It was a creamy, yellow, tan color. Didn't look anything like white.

She assured me it was "right" and told me to "just spray it and shut up". When I laid down the first coat, I was actually getting ticked off. I almost stopped. but, then I soldiered on and finished. By the time the final coat flashed enough to lay down the clear, it already matched the '65 just like they were sprayed from the same can!

Now, as to using Dupli-Color Color Match...I have had good luck with it. The technology has come a long way. The spray nozzles and atomization are just as good as with a gun...for blending and panel work. I wouldn't want to paint an entire Bronco with it, though!

mebco09

I think the way WW looks is really dependent on what type of lighting you are seeing in in. Here is my Dad's under florescent lights. Almost looks the same as the "almond" refrigerator door on the left side of the photo. Bronco looks way "creamier" than it is. In direct sunlight it is bright white.

Attachments

• IMG_20181125_103230150.jpg
    IMG_20181125_103230150.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 100

rpmgarage22

I think the way WW looks is really dependent on what type of lighting you are seeing in in. Here is my Dad's under florescent lights. Almost looks the same as the "almond" refrigerator door on the left side of the photo. Bronco looks way "creamier" than it is. In direct sunlight it is bright white.

I love an excuse to show a WW Bronco!

Not to hijack...but I would love to see more WW EB's!

bchesley

Here is a cheap WW respray over baytree green.

Attachments

• IMG_1659.jpg
    IMG_1659.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 87

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
When I had the Bronco painted, I noticed that the new Wimbledon White top looked like caramel. It looked terrible with the new white flares.
I had to make a decision to for with the bright white of the flares, or the Wimbledon White of the top.
The decision was easy. Wimbledon White isn't what I wanted.
I took the top back to the paint shop and had it painted Chevy/Toyota white. It's a nice bright white that matched the flairs perfectly.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Yup lighting makes a big difference in Wimbledon white. This is my 67 mustang back in 97 it was WW. Looked bright white at times and creamy tan at others. this was a sharp looking car had the dark red interior. had a lot of fun with this one. But its long gone.

Attachments

• mustang97.jpg
    mustang97.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 29

Justinagain

2-X on the Duplicolor WW... yellow/cream tint differing depending on can/lot number.

Attachments

• 76_WW_Ranger.jpg
    76_WW_Ranger.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 41

Justinagain

Original WW glove box door...

Attachments

• file4-2.jpg
    file4-2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 39
  • file6-1.jpg
    file6-1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 41

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Go to Home Depot and look at white paint. There are a bazillion shades called white, but most aren't really white.
Wimbledon White isn't realy white.