• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cost of A/C Installation

bigmex

Hi all,
I'm just learning to work on my Bronco and I have done few basic things, replace shocks, radiator hoses, brake pads, install emblems, etc but I decided to hire a pro to install an A/C system and other misc stuff.

One shop locally quoted me $6,000 ($4,000 parts and $2,000 labor) for the A/C installation.
A quick google search I can find complete kits for $1,500-$2,000, anyway I'm wondering if anyone else has hired someone to do this?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey bigmex, welcome! Hopefully someone has some experience with this, but for the most part we hear about those that are doing it themselves. Or bought a Bronco with it already installed.

With any of the kits I'm somewhat familiar with though, it's a pretty involved installation. So for my area at least, that $2,000 labor does not sound exorbitant.
Sounds like a lot! But not necessarily out of line.

Good luck

Paul

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
They don't want your business.

Mine wasn't that bad.
I worked at a leisurely pace.
Three weekends and I almost had it complete.
Entirely by myself.

It was cathartic. If there is ever a problem with it I know every nut, bolt, fitting and wire,.....

You can probably do it too if its not your daily driver and you can spend a few weekends on it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I can completely expect a grand in labor.

There are a LOT of variables in this. How involved is the kit? A simple under dash or a complete in dash? Lots of different pulley and bracket configurations have been put on a Bronco since they were new.

$6k, that is the shop telling you they don't want to work on it. Or maybe a high end custom shop that normally has a cliental that expects that kind of pricing. What kind of shop did you go to? General auto repair isn't a good choice. They are generally a diagnos and replace, get it running again and out the door. Finding a shop that specializes in Broncos really would be a good choice. How far are you from BC Broncos?

OP
OP
B

bigmex

I can completely expect a grand in labor.

There are a LOT of variables in this. How involved is the kit? A simple under dash or a complete in dash? Lots of different pulley and bracket configurations have been put on a Bronco since they were new.

$6k, that is the shop telling you they don't want to work on it. Or maybe a high end custom shop that normally has a cliental that expects that kind of pricing. What kind of shop did you go to? General auto repair isn't a good choice. They are generally a diagnos and replace, get it running again and out the door. Finding a shop that specializes in Broncos really would be a good choice. How far are you from BC Broncos?

The shop specialized in classic cars and Broncos. They are going to send more info about the A/C kit monday.

Yes I called and emailed BC Broncos but haven't gotten a any reply back yet.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
bigmex
If you've ever installed an A/C kit from either VA Or BC, you'll soon realize their engineering and support both suck.
Unless you have a bunch of shop equipment at your disposal, it's really a job for an A/C shop. I'm not talking about charging the system. I'm talking about making their brackets work and getting the belts to line up.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
bigmex
If you've ever installed an A/C kit from either VA Or BC, you'll soon realize their engineering and support both suck.
Unless you have a bunch of shop equipment at your disposal, it's really a job for an A/C shop. I'm not talking about charging the system. I'm talking about making their brackets work and getting the belts to line up.

Can be a pain for sure

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
bigmex

But yet it is sold as A DIY kit.

You installed yours as I recall Blu.
You even had them make you a special bracket.

Sure belt alignment presents struggles but we have all done it.

1970 Palmer

In the 1960's not many vehicles had what we call today "factory air" integrated systems. It was very common to buy a new vehicle from a car dealer and have them install the air conditioning system. A "factory air" system was just a simple under dash evaporator hung under the dash.

The Ford dealer I worked at (Don Sanderson Ford, in Glendale, AZ) had one guy (Harold Looney) that just did nothing but air conditioning installs and service. He installed four to five complete new A/C systems "every day, six days a week" on new cars and trucks. They kept him busy year around.

Just installing a A/C system is not a big deal. I'm not talking about going to a Gen IV defroster systems, engine changes, doing it while your converting over to fuel injection, etc.

I agree, the $6000 quote for parts and labor is just a number to chase you out the door, they did not want the job.

I would start by looking for a local radiator shop that also does air conditioning work. They would be most familiar with the time and materials to give you a realistic cost estimate. We have a good muffler shop locally that has done A/C work for years. They are a Vintage Air install dealer.

John

Last edited:

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Blubuckaroo is right Making everything fit sometimes I had to remake the Freon lines it’s not cut and dry just because you buy a direct fit system for a early bronco

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
But yet it is sold as A DIY kit.

You installed yours as I recall Blu.
You even had them make you a special bracket.

Sure belt alignment presents struggles but we have all done it.

Dam, if there isn't always someone that can remember my comments!;)
Yes, I had issues, and sent Vintage Air drawings to fix one of their brackets. They even marketed it.
And yes I have good cold air now.;D

Jamie Chriss

I installed the newest Vintage Air from BC. There are a lot of hours needed for this project. If you are running a 302 it won't be as bad. The kit came with almost everything, the instructions were ok. I went with in dash vents, and I upgraded the air controller. There will be many frustrations along the way but I think the kit was made for the DYI kind of Bronco owners.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I installed the newest Vintage Air from BC. There are a lot of hours needed for this project. If you are running a 302 it won't be as bad. The kit came with almost everything, the instructions were ok. I went with in dash vents, and I upgraded the air controller. There will be many frustrations along the way but I think the kit was made for the DYI kind of Bronco owners.

Well, you better have a hose crimper, welder, and a bunch of steel at your disposal.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I'm afraid we're scaring the original poster away from trying this.
My BC/VA unit was plug and play.
Bolted on inside heat/cooling unit.
Bolted on a/c compressor bracket then bolt on compressor and finally bolt on core in front of radiator.
At that point I ran my pre-made hoses.
No welding,
No hose crimping,

Can't say no cursing or beer.

But like most of us (excluding you Blu) our eb's are not our daily drivers. So just take your time and plan it out taking on one chunk at a time.

It really is DIY.

By the way even the a/c gauges and draw-down compressor are cheap if you get them at Harbor Freight.

pbwcr

Telling it realistically
Most all of the guys do it ourselves and still the cost is still great. I did my install and muddled my way thru with a BC vintage kit. Came out as I wanted it and it works fine. Big problem revealed itself for cooling and the only solution I came up with was the Explorer front dress with the big Explorer fan. That mod cost as much as the AC.
It you pay to have it done be sure to include the Explorer front dress.
My recommendation is do not go to an AC shop but go to a early Bronco shop that works on the EBs all the time. That kind of shop will have the expertise to do a complete install.
If you decide to do it the way I did by doing the AC then adding the Explorer stuff later you will have to discard most of the AC stuff because the Explorer is all different. I ended up with discarded compressor, alternator, power steering pump, belt, steering reservoir, and all the bracketry for the AC install. That stuff was new and expensive and no longer needed.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Vintage air and exp front

This started with vintage air and Serpentine front dress with a new sanden compressor had to make new Freon lines

Attachments

• 9998BCFA-36E9-40EE-A5B5-2687A66DD289.jpg
    9998BCFA-36E9-40EE-A5B5-2687A66DD289.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 81

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I'm afraid we're scaring the original poster away from trying this.

I agree and disagree... We who have done it are being honest. I did a BCB kit with Explorer front dress and a new Explorer compressor. It was a custom install with hoses made locally. BCB was good to work with when I could get a hold of someone. Vintage Air was useless, Gretchen was very helpful and let it slip that Summit carries VA parts.

I was not impressed with the heat out of the unit, but the AC worked well. Remember that a bronco has almost zero insulation, factor adding some into the cost. Suggest that you find a local Bronco Person who could help you with the work. As stated nothing beats doing it yourself and having that knowledge.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I cobbled together my own from parts and pieces.
Took longer than I'd want, but when you are trying to use used parts sometimes you should have just gone with all new from the beginning.
I ended up having leaks (plural) in the original condenser amongst other things.
But as some have said above, it's also nice to know how it works and where things are and all for future considerations.