• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Comments and my plan.

RedBank

I'm looking for general feed back on my plan for my 71 Bronco. This is basically a beach cruiser and for weekend joy rides with 33" tires. Never drive off road. Im converting it from 3spd to automatic which I have done before. I have a complete '96 Explorer and plan to use the 5.0 but not the OEM EFI ever (dont think I have the skill) nor the transmission (maybe later).
So plan is the Explorer 5.0 and front dress and add Proflo4 EFI, C4 from an early bronco, change rear gear to 4.30? (front gear later), 23 gallon efi tank with high pressure pump inside.
I have correct radiator for the 5.0
Other than comments on plan I have these questions:
1) will I have to go to electric fan?
2) will proflo 4 have everything I need as far as their harness?
3) alternator and PS pump options?
4) best vendor to buy PF4 from? And tank?
5) keep the factory cam?

Sorry for length of post. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RODRIG3911

Loc.
Tucson
I'm looking for general feed back on my plan for my 71 Bronco. This is basically a beach cruiser and for weekend joy rides with 33" tires. Never drive off road. Im converting it from 3spd to automatic which I have done before. I have a complete '96 Explorer and plan to use the 5.0 but not the OEM EFI ever (dont think I have the skill) nor the transmission (maybe later).
So plan is the Explorer 5.0 and front dress and add Proflo4 EFI, C4 from an early bronco, change rear gear to 4.30? (front gear later), 23 gallon efi tank with high pressure pump inside.
I have correct radiator for the 5.0
Other than comments on plan I have these questions:
1) will I have to go to electric fan?
2) will proflo 4 have everything I need as far as their harness?
3) alternator and PS pump options?
4) best vendor to buy PF4 from? And tank?
5) keep the factory cam?

Sorry for length of post. Thanks in advance.

The explorer has a really nice mechanical fan with clutch that you can use (I'm using mine)... Use the front dress off that explorer also! It'll give you serpentine, an awesome 4G alternator and PS pump.... I've got that same set up, but with a Saginaw pump using the Wildhorses explorer bracket. I'm using a Holley Sniper EFI on mine so I don't know about that proflo, but I hear it's good. Most people on here will probably tell you to use the factory explorer efi and have efi guy re-wire the harness. In my case I bought mine with a carburetor and didn't have that option... Good luck man

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Like he said if you have it complete I would stick with the stock efi over the aftermarket ones. Less problems and ease of getting replacement parts in the future. If you're just on the street you could throw a performer carb on there till you're ready for efi. If you are going efi I would also keep the explorer tranny for the od. As for gears with 33s and a c-4 you may want 4:11. If you go with an od tranny 4:56 gears for 33s.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To reduce the overall down time, I would have the Explorer 5.0L liter and the AOD Transmission rebuilt and completely ready for install prior to pulling your current drivetrain.

For a street driven truck the Explorer cam should work fine. Install a Edelbrock Performer Intake and a Holley Sniper EFI. Relatively easy to install and a very good system. If you can swing it, get the Hyperspark ignition system too.

Use the Front Dress from the Explorer. This really is the preferred serpentine system and use the Explorer Factory mechanical fan. It works great. The Explorer Alternator and PS pump work great as well.

Add Edelbrock E-Street 170cc Heads (Make sure they are compatible with the Roller Cam) and Headers to round off the build.

OP
OP
R

RedBank

I would love to stay with the factory EFI buy after reading all the posts on the topic I really dont think this is something I have the skills to do.

I will check out the Sniper EFI.

4.11 with the C4 check.

Good to hear about the alt and the PS pump.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Go saginaw on the ps pump. If you go aftermarket on heads I'd be interested in the 96 explorer heads you have depending on shipping. I'm slowly piecing together Ford efi for my spare 351w.

OP
OP
R

RedBank

Go saginaw on the ps pump. If you go aftermarket on heads I'd be interested in the 96 explorer heads you have depending on shipping. I'm slowly piecing together Ford efi for my spare 351w.
I will keep the heads but Im not going to use the factory EFI, computer or harness. I have it removed from the donor.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
No argument with what already said. I did similar..

1) will I have to go to electric fan? No.. OEM plastic explorer fan
2) will proflo 4 have everything I need as far as their harness? I am using Fitec
3) alternator and PS pump options? explorer alternator and sag pump (WH bracket)
4) best vendor to buy PF4 from? And tank? no idea
5) keep the factory cam? I did, feels fine.

Only other thing you left out is ignition. I am using Dragonfire HEI

Mr. Lav

I would love to stay with the factory EFI buy after reading all the posts on the topic I really dont think this is something I have the skills to do.

EFI guy (Garry) makes the harness plug and play, very easy to follow each wire is labeled as to were it goes, he can reflash the computer, just reach out to him first and talk to him. Very smart at what he does

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru

I will check out the Sniper EFI.

4.11 with the C4 check.

Good to hear about the alt and the PS pump.

If you keep it stock, you don't have to know, any ford dealer or any certified mechanic with scanners can determine the problem if any.

OP
OP
R

RedBank

EFI guy (Garry) makes the harness plug and play, very easy to follow each wire is labeled as to were it goes, he can reflash the computer, just reach out to him first and talk to him. Very smart at what he does
I sent Garry an email. Will see where this goes.