• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAK....super loud even w/serp disconnected

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
The video shows the valve cover(s) off and it's CHIRPING like a Raspberry Finch...

My wife could here it CHIRPING in the house when I was in the shop...it's loud!!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
A slightly bent push rod can be rubbing a guide plate.
Pulling the valve covers again may be a lot of work, but there are things there that can destroy an engine pretty quickly. I've had a broken valve spring make a squeak.
Also, a slightly bent pushrod can randomly rub on its guide plate.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Agreed...i have looked pretty dang close at all the hardened pushrods where the guideplates are...not a mark and I flooded them with oil also...

As soon as the engine fires it CHIRPS. Doesnt do it wehn cranking...at this point-who knows why...

I can't tell if the inner valve spring is broken anywhere but it is SUCH A LOUD chirp that it almost has to have some mass to it- to make it resonate like it does...nothing tinny sounding about this noise...

Keep the ideas coming...much appreciated!!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Well, sounds can be a funny thing.
Have you pulled the flex plate cover for a look at the flex plate, bolts, and maybe even the starter?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yes, inspection cover is off. Flexplate looks good, all tight. No "flex" in the flex plate.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Have not checked crank end play...what would be rubbing that would be that solid and not be chirping at crank speed? Ideas?

I can check it but not sure how or why it would make a noise that seems to be at cam speed...??

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Well if we're throwing out ideas, here's one. If the chirp is sounding off at cam speed (two times crank speed) that almost HAS to narrow it down to a valve train relation.....Is there ANY chance that old or stale fuel was run through the engine? Probably far fetched I know.
Greg

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Nothing but old crap gas in my town!! lol

Nah, typical 85 octane waiting for the blower so I can start pumping 91 or 92 or higher..
:)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Well if we're throwing out ideas, here's one. If the chirp is sounding off at cam speed (two times crank speed) that almost HAS to narrow it down to a valve train relation.....Is there ANY chance that old or stale fuel was run through the engine? Probably far fetched I know.
Greg
If the thrust bearing isn't keeping the crank in place, you can have a number of noise makers
The other bearings, Including the rod and main bearings can affected.
Also, anything connected to the crankshaft could possibly make noise.
It's surprising how many engines are built without properly seTing the throw out bearing.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I properly clearanced the thrust brg on this one like all others.

I've always run my 4r70w behind this stroker so no clutch/pressure plate hurting the cause...

I will measure when I get home on Monday...no problem, will be checking!!

Last edited:

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine did what Crush said post 18 cam gear bolt head rubbed inside of timing cover ground off the bumps on the bolt head about 1/16 fixed it.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Didn't sound like this tho!!

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Went back and listened about 20 times. Something that bugs me (the musician in me being tweaked) is that the sound doesn't seem to correlate at all with the rhythm of the rockers moving. Somehow I would expect that even if it's a roller cam follower failing, and even if it wasn't making a sound on every revolution of the camshaft, that it would be synchronized with the motion of the valves. But it appears (sounds) not to be.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Agreed Lars...

Came home from sturgeon fishing the last couple days...walked out to the shop, hit the key and it's quiet as can be...not a peep!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
exhaust leak? exhaust flange lose, pipe lose, AF sensor leak? Motor mounts? Anything touching the motor or block touching anything at idle? I mean anything, tubes, hoses? Loose throttle plate?

Loose accessory bracket vibrating?

Bad harmonic balancer?

Does it stop squeak when you burp the throttle?

Before you pull motor pull water pump and timing cover to look see.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Agreed Lars...

Came home from sturgeon fishing the last couple days...walked out to the shop, hit the key and it's quiet as can be...not a peep!

Clearly the solution to strange noises is to go sturgeon fishing when ever you hear one!