• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'Colt' Stroppe Racer comes to Baja Broncos!

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Andrew. That exhaust doesn't sound Hispanic at ALL!;)..... sounds like a solid lift valve train.
It sure sounds healthy! Sounds good!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Great fun at Baja Broncos Unlimited this weekend checking out Andrew's newest acquisition! Lars flew up from Davis and joined us for a few hours. He and Andrew installed some chrome headlight rings which really dressed things up and then we got to take some hot laps around the neighborhood. Fun little rig even thought it's a little tight with things a little smaller in several dimensions.
Todd Z.

Attachments

• IMG_1120.JPEG
    IMG_1120.JPEG
    77.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1121.JPEG
    IMG_1121.JPEG
    102.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1122.JPEG
    IMG_1122.JPEG
    100 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_8763.JPG
    IMG_8763.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_8761.JPG
    IMG_8761.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 194
OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A little update on the Colt Bronco- After talking to Willie and another friend of mine, they gave me some leads on finding Bill Rush, the one who really had a good race record with Colt. Hes 85 and still kicking and he and I have been going back and forth with stories and hopefully I can share some pics and some of the details here shortly.
I've been too busy with customer cars to get much done on Colt, other than running it around the block a few times. Next is wiring fixes honestly....alot of the Bronco is circa 1979 Mexico. Mexican battery holds a charge for weeks at a time tho!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
lucky man...

Great fun at Baja Broncos Unlimited this weekend checking out Andrew's newest acquisition! Lars flew up from Davis and joined us for a few hours. He and Andrew installed some chrome headlight rings which really dressed things up and then we got to take some hot laps around the neighborhood. Fun little rig even thought it's a little tight with things a little smaller in several dimensions.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
TZ pics adjusted......

Attachments

• TZ01.jpg
    TZ01.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 98
  • TZ02.jpg
    TZ02.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 90
  • TZ03.jpg
    TZ03.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 78

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Andrew,

A little update on the Colt Bronco- After talking to Willie and another friend of mine, they gave me some leads on finding Bill Rush, the one who really had a good race record with Colt. Hes 85 and still kicking and he and I have been going back and forth with stories and hopefully I can share some pics and some of the details here shortly.
I've been too busy with customer cars to get much done on Colt, other than running it around the block a few times. Next is wiring fixes honestly....alot of the Bronco is circa 1979 Mexico. Mexican battery holds a charge for weeks at a time tho!

And I thought you and Todd knew everything that could be known about the Stroppe Broncos already.

I remember being at Parker in the early 70's. Bill was running there, and from what I remember he rolled the truck he was driving at night. (I can't remember exactly what it was that year.) A couple of us went out to see if we could help. He ended up coming back in under his own power before we found him; but, the truck was a mess. What I remember most was that he messed up his arm. In true tough guy fashion, his go-to method of first aid relied on a roll of duct tape. He is a pretty tough dude. Next time you talk with him, ask him if he still remembers.

Jeff

builtfords

bravo sir!!! :eek: wow!

It couldn't have found a better caretaker, can't wait to see it brotha, congrats.

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
sprdv1 thanks for the pic fix!

Jeff, Bill did tell have a news clipping about injuring his thumb or finger in a US race. Yes what a tough dude, and super nice.

builtfords - I plan on bringing it to FFF this year!!

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
colt

Andrew are you going to put the inserts back in this like the pics? Keep the pictures and info coming. Love it....

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Andrew are you going to put the inserts back in this like the pics? Keep the pictures and info coming. Love it....

Yes I plan on getting inserts back in it. Those must have made their way on sometime in the early 80s or very late 70s, like 79. In 78 it still had the inserts. And ...unfortunately, since it is a sectioned body - I cant simply bolt on a set of inserts...i have to cut some down and made them.

How's your Baja Racers coming? Fulton and Viva?

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jeff, yes, he remembers that well! That was in this Bronco I believe.
We just talked about it a few weeks ago. He called and had talked to another friend and they had asked him how his finger was and if he still had it! Duct tape saved it. Hahaha. I think it was 72 and a stateside race.....

was
Hey Andrew,

And I thought you and Todd knew everything that could be known about the Stroppe Broncos already.

I remember being at Parker in the early 70's. Bill was running there, and from what I remember he rolled the truck he was driving at night. (I can't remember exactly what it was that year.) A couple of us went out to see if we could help. He ended up coming back in under his own power before we found him; but, the truck was a mess. What I remember most was that he messed up his arm. In true tough guy fashion, his go-to method of first aid relied on a roll of duct tape. He is a pretty tough dude. Next time you talk with him, ask him if he still remembers.

Jeff