• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'68 Coyote Luber Build Thread - Build is Finished!!!

Dpearce

This site has been a tremendous source of inspiration and assistance. Thanks to all of you that take the time to post builds, ideas, solutions, etc.

Have been working on this project with John Cole at Elite Broncos (San Diego) for about 18 months. Started with a cut '68 in decent shape.

Work done so far:

- Loads of body work (Braun Mollenhauer - San Diego)
- Frame stripped/powdercoated: installed Krawler's Edge 4-link in rear
- Rebuilt axles - Dana 44 front; Ford 9" rear; All new internals; Wilwood disc brakes on all 4 corners
- BC Broncos Coyote Kit - engine; 4R70W tranny; Steering; Cooling; A/C; etc.
- Custom dash (relocating Dakota Digital speedo to center)
- ViewFinder windshield (relocate wipers to bottom)
- BC Broncos soft top
- Interior: sourced used BMW 650ci seats - have integrated seat belts and are a great fit for these trucks. Full power and heat. Rear seat is from a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 2 door (again - very good fit - better than most other options).
- Wheels - still trying to work this out. Currently looking at American Racing slots 17x8. But, will be sizing a Fuel Beast wheel this week that's a 17x9 with 5.75" backspace. Trying to run a BFG A/T KO2 34x10.5x17 - not lots of options to get the wheels/tires to tuck on the uncut.

- Pushing now to finish by summer: paint (dark crimson red), wiring, interior, etc. Will keep updated.

Attachments

• IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 554
  • Photo Jan 30, 1 09 35 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 30, 1 09 35 PM.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 627
  • Photo Jan 30, 1 09 46 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 30, 1 09 46 PM.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 664
  • Photo Jan 30, 1 10 00 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 30, 1 10 00 PM.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 526
  • Photo Jan 30, 1 10 19 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 30, 1 10 19 PM.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
So sweet! Love the choices so far. Who's bumpers you going with? And you looked at J Smalls old 17" wheel and tire combo? Looked super sharp on his LUBR. Keep up the pics!

OP
OP
D

Dpearce

So sweet! Love the choices so far. Who's bumpers you going with? And you looked at J Smalls old 17" wheel and tire combo? Looked super sharp on his LUBR. Keep up the pics!

Thanks. Having bumpers custom made - great guy here in San Diego - company is WeldTec. He made the roll cage, seat mounts (tied into the frame) and rear seat mounts for fold and tumble.

I have looked at JSmall's - great build.

Scubadds

Nice, I would like to know more about how you are doing the coyote transplant.
What trans etc? I spoke with BC bronco about a kit, sorting thru my mind to see if I can/should try to do that route

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Very nice build! You have the right shop doing the build. Bring it up to the NWBR in August if you get it finished. John has brought a few the last few years.

OP
OP
D

Dpearce

Trans is a 4R70W. For the Coyote to fit, you have to modify the passenger side inner fender slightly.

Will definitely come to NWBR if it is done. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
D

Dpearce

Not lots of options in aftermarket 17" wheels/tires that tuck on the Luber.

Finally found one that I really like. Fuel Beast - has a tiny bit of bronze in it: 17x9 +20mm offset and 5.75" backspace.
Tires are BFG AT KO2 34x10.5x17.
Rear axle has been moved back about 2 inches. Probably will need to roll the fender, but tucks well.

Attachments

• Fuel Beast.jpg
    Fuel Beast.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 436

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not lots of options in aftermarket 17" wheels/tires that tuck on the Luber.

Finally found one that I really like. Fuel Beast - has a tiny bit of bronze in it: 17x9 +20mm offset and 5.75" backspace.
Tires are BFG AT KO2 34x10.5x17.
Rear axle has been moved back about 2 inches. Probably will need to roll the fender, but tucks well.

Totally makes sense that they work. I am running 4.5bs and I narrowed my axle 1" on each side. My 285/75-17 tuck well. I also did 1" back. Awesome build. Very jealous of your motor

BigB

I would like to see more detail of the seats and how they were mounted please.

OP
OP
D

Dpearce

Making progress on the build. Out of paint and moving on to assembly. We color matched the rhino lining for the fender and will use it on the floor as well.

Still deciding on wheels. Black American Racing slots versus Fuel Beast that has a little bit of bronze in it. Last pic is sample of leather we are using for seats. Probably going to use silver vein powdercoat on roll cage, but not for sure. Dash will be red. Had to build a box across entire length of top of dash (where the dash pad normally goes) to cover the wiper motor for the Viewfinder windshield. Will most likely cover this box and steering wheel in the same leather.
Too many decisions.......

Attachments

• Paint fender 3.jpg
    Paint fender 3.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Paint 6.jpg
    Paint 6.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Paint 7.jpg
    Paint 7.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 280
  • Paint 8.jpg
    Paint 8.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 282
  • Interior sample.jpg
    Interior sample.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 272

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dpearce - Looks great so far. Nice job.

I see you cut out both Inner Fenders in preparation of Coyote install.

I have a Coyote Install thread. If you come up with any additional snags / issues / things to prepare for, please let me know in my thread and I can add to the list on post #1.

OP
OP
D

Dpearce

Dpearce - Looks great so far. Nice job.

I see you cut out both Inner Fenders in preparation of Coyote install.

I have a Coyote Install thread. If you come up with any additional snags / issues / things to prepare for, please let me know in my thread and I can add to the list on post #1.

Thanks. Will do. Great idea on your thread.

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The color choices you picked looks great! The fuel door is that from a 77 or ??

OP
OP
D

Dpearce

A few updates on the build. Paint finished. Ford Ruby Red Metallic (RR) without the tintcoat steps. Just color, then clear. Painted by Braun Mollenhauer in Alpine, CA (outside San Diego). Engine installed - tight fit. Amp steps from BC Broncos.

Attachments

• Bronco rear panel.jpg
    Bronco rear panel.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 486
  • Coyote installed.jpg
    Coyote installed.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 461
  • Amp step.jpg
    Amp step.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 398