• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My 1971 Baja Bronco

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Did you replace the coil springs AND leafs? If so, which one's did you use and how's the ride? I'm going thru a similar process w/a '74 Baja that I also got from Andrew. Just trying to make the ride a little more old man friendly! ;D -- funny, I'm going from 350's to 411's though since mine came w/411's. We should have just swapped R&P's! haha...

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you replace the coil springs AND leafs? If so, which one's did you use and how's the ride? I'm going thru a similar process w/a '74 Baja that I also got from Andrew. Just trying to make the ride a little more old man friendly! ;D -- funny, I'm going from 350's to 411's though since mine came w/411's. We should have just swapped R&P's! haha...

I'll chime in, since I just saw this - We did Bilsteins all around, originally x4 but found the x8 is best for the springs we chose. Did WH in the rear and progressive rate front, all stock height. Youll need different part numbers for almost all the parts due to length. But I'd probably recommend springs from WH front and rear for your 74.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I'll chime in, since I just saw this - We did Bilsteins all around, originally x4 but found the x8 is best for the springs we chose. Did WH in the rear and progressive rate front, all stock height. Youll need different part numbers for almost all the parts due to length. But I'd probably recommend springs from WH front and rear for your 74.

Thanks Andrew -- What do you mean different part numbers?

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Andrew -- What do you mean different part numbers?

We did stock height on Andy's Bronco, and I just figured youd do a 2.5 lift or so. But I can set you up with the parts if you want stock height!

Andrew

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Andrew and Andy, what do you use to get that adhesive off? And leave the paint. Thanks, Mark

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
Front seats back in. Don't like the repop hinge cover color. Need to paint them.

Did some painting.

Had a nice trip to the snow, definitely the oldest truck in the lot...

House

Minutia Militia
Looks great Andy!
In that pic the hinge cover doesn't look too far off from the seatbelt cover color...?

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
That seat belt cover is trashed and not cleanable. That is just dirt and age.
Need new ones.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Front seats back in. Don't like the repop hinge cover color. Need to paint them.

Did some painting.

Had a nice trip to the snow, definitely the oldest truck in the lot...

And probably had a lot of attention. I can hear it now, Did you see that Jeep over there....LOL

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
Looks good. What risers and crossbar are you using for the ski rack? (Part #'s if you have them).

I was in a hurry so I bought new feet. Thule 300 Rain Gutter Foot pack. Bought used cross bars.

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
And probably had a lot of attention. I can hear it now, Did you see that Jeep over there....LOL
Amazingly a guy came up to me who knew exactly what the truck was and had owned one. He said he traded it for 65 Mustang fastback and still owns the fastback.
People were stunned that we would drive an old truck 175 miles in the winter.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Amazingly a guy came up to me who knew exactly what the truck was and had owned one. He said he traded it for 65 Mustang fastback and still owns the fastback.
People were stunned that we would drive an old truck 175 miles in the winter.

Great picture... Might be calendar worthy!

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
In my continuing quest to make this truck a better driver I ordered an Impact series rear bumper and tire carrier. The stock carrier just makes to much noise for me. We shall see how it looks on the truck.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Have you tried rebuilding the stock carrier, bushings etc? I know they will always make a little noise but some I have seen have been very firm and appeared decent though I had no time in them to see how they did rattle wise. Great looking Bronco BTW... a Stroppe is on my bucket list...

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
Have you tried rebuilding the stock carrier, bushings etc? I know they will always make a little noise but some I have seen have been very firm and appeared decent though I had no time in them to see how they did rattle wise. Great looking Bronco BTW... a Stroppe is on my bucket list...

No I have not. The bracket that holds the carrier is the main issue. I don't think it was ever designed to hold the size tires we are running now.
It's actually bending the body slightly. I need to get that fixed.