• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New owner from Germany

broncojack

Contributor
that led to a few questions:
skid plates? for the tank? or is that something else?
Extra Cooling Package? consisting of what? larger radiator?

Skid plates were on the rear tank and transfer case, you can still see the bolts on your lower frame.
I believe the Cooling package was larger radiator and the fan had more blades.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
so i finally got the marti report:

will keep you updated on the process.

oh, and it's nice to see so many people with a european heritage on here. over on the maverick forums, there was no one with ties to europe.

need anything ... il be over last week in june ! (HH & B )

OP
OP
T

tody

well, now i finally started on the bronco. had to finish the econoline first, that is now roadworthy.

removed the rear axle today:
IMG_2117.jpg

underside all looks like this, muddy and some slight rust - but all in all a fairly solid condition:
IMG_2118.jpg

but the downside to it is this, i broke the shock mount on the driver side. do i fix or replace it? if it can be fixed, how? have a new stud machined, weld it in? but then again, i could weld in new mounts anyway. will that be possible with the tank dropped but the body still on?
IMG_2119.jpg

plan for the next two weeks: totally rebuild the leaky brake system with new parts, rebuild the rearend as it is leaking badly (through the splines of the yoke, never had that before).
i will try to post some pictures of the progress.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the club! Let's toast with a nice German lager. You've found the best spot on the net for all things early bronco for sure

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
On your bronco rear shock mount you can grind the broken stud flat and then still a straight hole into the mount. Tap it 1/2-20 and just put a sleeve in the upper shock eye. Bolt it up and go
Leaky yoke can be resolved by sealer under the washer below pinion nut

landshark99

Bronco Guru
I snapped the threads off one of my rear shock mounts on my 72. I found a grade 8 bolt and cut the mount back and the head off the grade 8 and welded the bolt to the stud on the shock mount. I did that to get it back on the road over a year ago and no issues. If I was restoring I would probably cut an tap a new stud.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Willkommen an Bord, if you're going to collect Ford's I guess Cologne is a good place to be!! My father was German for a small berg outside of Kassel he always touted Mercedes Benz but always jumped in one of my 4x4's when he had a chance :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
well, now i finally started on the bronco. had to finish the econoline first, that is now roadworthy.

plan for the next two weeks: totally rebuild the leaky brake system with new parts, rebuild the rearend as it is leaking badly (through the splines of the yoke, never had that before).
i will try to post some pictures of the progress.

Nice.. Look forward to the progress...

jduffent

Sponsor/Vendor
Very cool, my brother works/lives in Wiesbaden/Mainz. My parents are over there at least once a year. They will be there in the beginning of April. I can't vouch for how much room they will have in their suitcases but they might be able to bring smaller things. I'm sure Dad would be interested in giving it a look over. My brother has taken them to a few car shows while they were visiting and they said the interest in the US cars was very interesting to see. Any idea how long has the Bronco been overseas?

Suzy

OP
OP
T

tody

Very cool, my brother works/lives in Wiesbaden/Mainz. My parents are over there at least once a year. They will be there in the beginning of April. I can't vouch for how much room they will have in their suitcases but they might be able to bring smaller things. I'm sure Dad would be interested in giving it a look over. My brother has taken them to a few car shows while they were visiting and they said the interest in the US cars was very interesting to see. Any idea how long has the Bronco been overseas?

Suzy

Wiesbaden is pretty close, roughly a one hour drive. Would be nice to have a pro look over it :D
The Bronco was imported to Germany in late 2016 and bought by me in early 2017.
Does anything in the following picture look familiar? ;)

IMG_2113.jpg

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
welcome to the club. We are almost neighbors. I am in southern Netherlands. When your done we should meet up. trying to put together a meeting for European Bronco owners as soon as the list grows (we are at 5 now)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
spent a few Sat nights in Kaiserslautern back in the AF days.. I was at Hahn.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We have hosted a couple students from Bochum the last two falls. Fun getting to know them and where they come from.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
We spent from 2012 to 2016 @ Ramstein and I never saw one bronco. Great to see there are indeed some! Sadly, we never made it to Koln, only drove thru. Wow, I miss the Euro-adventures!

Glad you posted up here Tody! I am excited to see you progress on your bronco (and other projects)!

Auf Wiedersehen!

OP
OP
T

tody

well, this project will take much more time than i hoped for.
there's no way this will be a quick and dirty job to get it back on the road - the rearend is already showing more things that need attention then expected :(

started cleaning it up:
IMG_2122.jpg

axle shafts were pretty stubborn, wheel bearings show signs of rust. but i finally got them out:
IMG_2123.jpg

the ring gear shows some rust pitting. at some point, the bronco must have sat for a longer time.
IMG_2124.jpg

also, the carrier bearings made some noise. luckily i have a set of timken bearings sitting on the shelf.
IMG_2125.jpg

it's pretty nice to have all the right tools at hand, i gathered these throughout the last 10 years working on other projects.
let's see if i can further clean up the axle tomorrow!

OP
OP
T

tody

here's a glance at the rear brakes. notice the lack of any adjuster linkage parts %)

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

rear differential is now fully disassembled. housing tag was missing/broken off, but casting numbers are date code correct.
IMG_2128.jpg

cleaned up the housing - someone must have had a lot of fun with this rig in the past ;D
IMG_2134.jpg

i need to check the rear housing for straightness, i suspect it needs some straightening after all the abuse it took.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
The metal for the housing is pretty soft, and therefore scratches pretty easy. I've added an "skid" plate to the bottom of mine as I was worried the rocks were wearing thru. This to say, I will be surprised if your housing is bent.

You're doing a great job and the tear-down!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
the bottom of the diff looks about like mine, not bent but used;D