• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rampage soft top installation

65tuxedo

Loc.
Bluffton
The instructions were very brief and did not identify which pieces went where or how, to me. Through trial and error, I was able to get it installed. I think I figured it all out except for how to correctly tie down the rear window to the tailgate. If you are going to install one, send me a note and I will email pics of the parts installed that were a puzzle to me at first.
Also, if anyone has the combination for sealing down the rear window without overlap, I would like to know the secret!
JB

Bradsp8

I ran into the same issue last year with tucking the rear window into the rail slots due to it overlapping with the top's corners on each side It seems the bottom of the rear window is 4" too wide. I have yet to come up with a solution other than trimming 2" off each side of the rear window (where it should tuck into the retention rail slot yet overlaps) and restitching it. Hope this made sense as it's difficult to describe yet keep my post short.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
65tuxedo, since you are a Contributor, why don't you just post the pictures on here. Should be easier to get help. I can't visualize the issue, and I had the Rampage soft top, but sold my Bronco a year and a half ago so I don't remember specifics.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Let me take a swipe at this... Here's what I think might be the issue, the rear corners where the side window top fabric overlap the rear window edge that tucks into the tailgate channel. Is this it? ?:?

Attachments

• Windowa.jpg
    Windowa.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Windowb.jpg
    Windowb.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 88

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
BronCowie, I think you got it!! zip the rear window shut then overlap the side corners. I could never get the plastic to tuck under the rear window when doing this though, but it was no problem for me. When the rear window is rolled up or removed, the plastic on the sides easily tucked in under the metal lip.

Hope this makes sense.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Hey Pops... I was checkin' out your Garage and see what you mean about just letting it hang there. Nice Bronco by the way!

I use a rubber mallet to "coerce" it into the track. It won't go all the way, but it does stay in place.

Attachments

• Hammer.jpg
    Hammer.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 71

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
^^ yep.

I have a 95 defender and they do a way better job on the soft tops .... but they are $2700.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Thanks, BronCowie.........But 'my' Bronco was sold in October of '18 and as far as I know is living in Alaska after a cross country journey for 6 months or so. The Buyer did join the site and chime in occasionally after he first bought it and started his travels. Haven't noticed him on here in well over a year.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Mount the bar a little higher up on the tailgate. That will create more space to tuck both layers because of the way the tailgate is curved at the top.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hey Pops... I was checkin' out your Garage and see what you mean about just letting it hang there. Nice Bronco by the way!

I use a rubber mallet to "coerce" it into the track. It won't go all the way, but it does stay in place.

nice trick my brother.. whatever it takes