• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauge cluster refurbishing

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
How difficult is it to remove the cluster without removing the dash? I need to get mine refinished.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s not that hard. Well, it’s awkward…
It physically fits between all the junk and the dash lower lip, but you have to be careful to disconnect everything, and to be sure not to scratch the front of the bezel on the back of the dash as your lowering it.
The hardest part is getting under there and visually confirming that you’re disconnecting everything.
And in reality, you only really have to disconnect the speedometer cable to start the process. Then you can get it low enough to disconnect the wires.
Some of the wires are long enough to let the whole unit hang down below the dash. You just have to make sure that if any are too short, you disconnect them.

I suppose, putting a little tape on the back of the dash, or better yet, on the front edge of the bezel, before you lower it out of position, would protect the delicate paint.
It’s been awhile since I’ve done it, so can’t remember every detail. But I’ve never had to remove the dash.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Might help to pull fresh air box so you can get access thru the cowl.
I pulled my cluster decades ago without pulling air box, but the old guy can't get under the dash like the teenager could.

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
For our Bronco friends outside the USA here is an example of a very rare Kilometer per hour unit.