Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 06/15/21, 09:13 AM   #1
madcrzydrmr
Contributor

Los Angeles
Detroit Locker Slipping

Did a search and couldnít find any definitive Q/A about a Detroit Locker getting sloppy after proper use.

I put the thing in around 5 years ago (28 spline, still stock small bearing axles) and after a weekend on difficult, exercising trails, there is now an engaging type slop/slip feel when I hop into first and go forward. Lift clutch and you feel a quick engage of the rear diff in the butt of your seat. It feels and drives fine afterward. I lifted the rear end up and did a hand turn of the drivetrain and felt the slip/engage when I rocked the axles back and forth. Dana 20 in neutral. My first thought was maybe some of the splines on the stock axles stripped, but they are fine.

Is this normal behavior of a Detroit after its been womped on or is this the start of a failing locker? Again 28 spline, stock axles so I reckoned they would break way before the Detroit would.

71 302 NV3550 Twin Stick 4.88ís Detroit Locker Rear Power Lock Front ChroMo Axles 2.5" Sus 2" Body 35x12.5x15
madcrzydrmr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/21, 11:42 AM   #2
gr8scott
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Great Scott!!

Maui, HI
Maybe perform the function check as described on page 8 of the manual.

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...tl-162c56a.pdf

'74 U152 | 302 | Comp Cams XE256H-10 | C4 | D20 Twin Sticked | PS | Front discs + Hydro | MSD 8479/Pertronix 510 HP | Centech Wiring | 3G 130A | Detroit Lockers | Edelbrock 1905 AVS 2 | TFS Twisted Wedge | 3.5" SL | 31x10.5x15 Dick Cepek MT's | US Wheel Indy Slots
gr8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/21, 12:47 PM   #3
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Garage
the old stand by function test was to put up one side just off the ground on a jack stand and try to carefully drive off with the wheel off the ground. if locked up it will drive off the stand. then check the other side. the Detroit gets clunky with different tire diameters on the same axle air one side down and not the other or a big difference in pressure sided to side. the Detroit has a big backlash in how far the driveshaft twists before getting tight in the pinion and ring gear. usually they either work or they don't. If you violently snap a axle shaft its pretty much 50/50 it takes out the Detroit too. My Detroit soft locker has been working flawlessly for over 30 years. My stock trac lock was wore out on 30,000 miles of street driving. My Trutrac up front been in there for 30 years to but it only works when in 4-wd.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/21, 01:17 PM   #4
madcrzydrmr
Contributor

Los Angeles
Thanks for the info. When it cools down outside, I’ll slap the 35’s back on and do more tests. It seems to lock and ran the rest of the trail just fine. Just now it has an inaudible pop feeling when taking off from a stop. It feels very similar to when I broke the original spider gears where it was missing some teeth and would slip a bit before it engaged.

71 302 NV3550 Twin Stick 4.88ís Detroit Locker Rear Power Lock Front ChroMo Axles 2.5" Sus 2" Body 35x12.5x15
Old 06/15/21, 06:22 PM   #5
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
There are other things that can do that to a Bronco as well. So make sure you're feeling the locker rather than the driveshaft slip joint, or loose u-bolts.
You're probably on the right track with the Detroit, but it would not hurt to rule out all the other stuff too.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/21, 07:54 PM   #6
broncogt

Phoenix
Make sure your nut holding the pinion in is tight while your checking the driveshaft
broncogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/21, 08:22 AM   #7
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Garage
pull the drive shaft and check the splines, u-joints and the centering ball in the double cardigan joint when that ball and its roller bearings fail things get really weird down there as the joint tries to do its job.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/21, 11:26 AM   #8
eb-nutt1

Alexander City, Al.
Unfortunately, Detroit lockers are a lunchbox locker in a machined case...I exploded one in my 44 about 15 years ago when a axle joint exploded. Took the locker apart and all 4 locking rings had shattered, parts to repair were just about the cost of a new locker. Since I was rockcrawling at the time, just installed a full spool and never looked back...the looking rings inside are not very robust in size.

Brian
eb-nutt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/21, 02:03 PM   #9
sprdv1
Contributor
REBEL

Guess you better call the Whaaaambulance

Lees Summit-Missouri

My Gallery
Did you ever sort it out..?

sprdv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/21, 03:23 PM   #10
madcrzydrmr
Contributor

Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdv1 View Post
Did you ever sort it out..?
I ran it through the locker paces per the manual and it locked/unlocked accordingly, although I could still feel a light/very brief slipping feeling once locked rotating the tires with my hands. This is what I think I might be feeling, but I haven’t had time yet to get back under and check the driveshaft splines, pinion nut, u-bolts, etc etc as mentioned above. I did however notice a minor rock mark on the driveshaft that looks like it got pinged from a large rock along with the muffler dented in... i rotated wheels watching the driveshaft I did see the pinion yoke wobble very slightly from side to side as it spun, so could be a loose nut, or something bent.

Last edited by madcrzydrmr; 06/21/21 at 03:58 PM..

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat