Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 03/15/15, 10:38 PM   #16
rydog1130
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Bronco Math: time+money=bronco and if time=money then money+money=LOTS OF MONEY

Pentwater, MI

My Gallery
Garage
update

Well, before winter hit I was able to get the motor and trans out and that was about it. Now that winter is final dying and refund season is upon us I'll be getting back to tackling this project. Once I have everything stripped out my plan is to restore the body in basically three phases. I plan on squaring up the front clip and removing it. Then, squaring up the bed area and removing the door rear post. Once that is done I plan on dropping in the new pre assembled floor pan with the body bushings in place and then the front clip and then replacing the necessary parts in the bed area. Im doing this because the door post need to be replaced anyways and the inner rockers are included on the new floor pan and the only way its going in there that I can see is if the door post are outta there.My other plan is to POR 15 the rest of the frame when those sections are out. I don't have a body cradle/jig to do a body off resto but I do have a hoist and a kabota tractor to assist in lifting the portions of the body off the frame. Does this sound logical/feasible? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks heres a few photos of the latest progress!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6844.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	360110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6854.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	360111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6855.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	360112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6857.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	360113  

rydog1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/15, 06:11 AM   #17
stout22
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Athens, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydog1130 View Post
Lol, time and money is all it takes I hear, so if I got this figured out:
time+money = bronco and we all know that time = money so money +money = LOTS OF MONEY ....gotchya!
I like your math skills
Good luck with the build.
stout22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/15, 09:46 AM   #18
rydog1130
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Pentwater, MI

My Gallery
Garage
Thanks! I'm hoping to have the body done by end of summer which is pretty ambitious. I have all the parts and sheet metal I need and If Im lucky to be there by end of summer I can spend the winter putting everything back in!
Old 05/22/15, 11:08 AM   #19
rydog1130
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Pentwater, MI

My Gallery
Garage
Update - Need yur thoughts

Hey guys, would like a little input here. I basically need to replace ALL of the sheet metal except the fire cowel and front core....so inner fenders, wheel tubs, kick panels and door posts need to come out, I also have a pre-assembled floor pan that needs to go in. Just wondering the procces you would take besides throwing it all away. I have all the replacement parts from the grave yard ready to go
Old 05/22/15, 11:19 AM   #20
Bferrari

Nipomo, CA
Take a look at EnglewoodCowboy's thread, it sounds like your are doing what he has just completed and he did a very good job at documenting each step he took. His build is:

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums...d.php?t=237944

In addition, my recommendation is to brace up the front cowl/core area, do the front door posts and inner fenders first so you can have something substantial you can build from. Then start working from the firewall back. Be sure to take many measurements before cutting anything apart, see what works, where there are issues, etc so you have a reference to piece the thing back together. Good luck!
Bferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/22/15, 01:31 PM   #21
T4x4R
Contributor

Destin FL
Ry,

I was in the same exact position as you. I replaced everything except for the rear quarters and taillight housings.

Like everyone here has said, I would 100% keep what you have and then next door mock it up with sheet metal screws. then measure measure and measure again. Then brace it. and measure it about 5 more times. Alternate drivers side, passenger side as you move geometrically. The tub is flimsy and as you heat and cool it, it will flex and bend.

I made the mistake of cutting and throwing away. I should have kept it for reference even though i was replacing everything. Zip lock bag every nut washer bolt and label the bag. Then organize it in a tub based on where it came off. Then i would take your phone or a camera and take a picture every opportunity you can. I have gone back and referenced the pictures over and over again.

Im on year 3 of my frame off and have loved every minute....even though sometimes it was 25 minutes for the month. your gonna love that rig when your done with it. Your in a great place, everyone here is awesome and ready to help. Good Luck!
T4x4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/22/15, 05:52 PM   #22
rydog1130
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Pentwater, MI

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4x4R View Post
Ry,

I was in the same exact position as you. I replaced everything except for the rear quarters and taillight housings.

Like everyone here has said, I would 100% keep what you have and then next door mock it up with sheet metal screws. then measure measure and measure again. Then brace it. and measure it about 5 more times. Alternate drivers side, passenger side as you move geometrically. The tub is flimsy and as you heat and cool it, it will flex and bend.

I made the mistake of cutting and throwing away. I should have kept it for reference even though i was replacing everything. Zip lock bag every nut washer bolt and label the bag. Then organize it in a tub based on where it came off. Then i would take your phone or a camera and take a picture every opportunity you can. I have gone back and referenced the pictures over and over again.

Im on year 3 of my frame off and have loved every minute....even though sometimes it was 25 minutes for the month. your gonna love that rig when your done with it. Your in a great place, everyone here is awesome and ready to help. Good Luck!
Thanks I appreciate it, will do!
Old 05/22/15, 05:53 PM   #23
rydog1130
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Pentwater, MI

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bferrari View Post
Take a look at EnglewoodCowboy's thread, it sounds like your are doing what he has just completed and he did a very good job at documenting each step he took. His build is:

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums...d.php?t=237944

In addition, my recommendation is to brace up the front cowl/core area, do the front door posts and inner fenders first so you can have something substantial you can build from. Then start working from the firewall back. Be sure to take many measurements before cutting anything apart, see what works, where there are issues, etc so you have a reference to piece the thing back together. Good luck!
Thank you for the info, appreciate it big time
Old 05/22/15, 10:00 PM   #24
rydog1130
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Pentwater, MI

My Gallery
Garage
ok Guys heres the latest progress, basically have her all stripped down except few engine bay components and the dash. From there its all about getting the new panels in. My thought process is to take a shit ton of measurements, brace what I can and remove the floor panel, and cut away the lower portions of the front door post and kick panels so that it will fit. From there I think I can work on getting the upper cowel repaired, and new kick panels installed, and then the inner fenders/tubs. Thoughts on this process? Once that was done I would go on to replace the bed floor panels, tubs, door post and repair inner quarters, tail light housings....and then be finished with the body (yeah right) lol. I'll post more pics next week...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7995.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	367008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7991.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	367009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7998.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	367010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8005.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	367011  

Name:	IMG_7999.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	367012   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8007.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	367013   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8018.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	367014  
Old 05/22/15, 10:22 PM   #25
Bferrari

Nipomo, CA
The cowl replacement is where I would probably start as it provides a major structure to keeping everything aligned. I did mine a few months ago and found that the aftermarket pieces are a far shot from the factory and require some fitting/fabrication to get them in right. I did mine first then proceeded to the floor pans and it turned out great. Make sure to brace the doors while doing all of your surgery, one of the most important places to brace in my opinion. If you want to see what I did for my bracing, check my build thread.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234723
Bferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/15, 09:30 AM   #26
rydog1130
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Pentwater, MI

My Gallery
Garage
Ok so here are a few more photos! I would like to brace the door post but I feel like it may not make much of a difference. The door post are so deteriorated and is attached w/ bondo and a piece of nylon screen! You can also see the PO loved tar and tin as his method of patch work on this beauty! I'm afraid of what I'll find under that tin/tar after I remove the air intakes on the cowel. I will try to brace it the best I can then cut the floor pan, rockers, and lower sections of door post and plop the new pan in! Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	367041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8033.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	367056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8035.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	367057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8051.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	367058  

Name:	IMG_8048.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	367059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8046.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	367060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8042.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	367061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8039.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	367062  

Last edited by rydog1130; 05/23/15 at 01:34 PM..
Old 06/01/15, 04:09 PM   #27
rydog1130
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Pentwater, MI

My Gallery
Garage
Body Work

Ok, so this build is pretty much a rolling resto and I think it will be the most unique one on here since I'm basically trying to salvage a bucket of rust. Well, first step was the floor pan had to come out since the inner rockers are the inner most part of the body. We braced the doors with the bracing I've most commonly seen used on here. Then here's where things become unorthodox. The fire cowl was braced by leaving the brake/gas/clutch brackets and the steering column in place . I then created an upside down T out of 2x4's to brace the cowl and firewall from falling down once the floor pan was removed. Well once the floor pan was removed we had to grind the welds on the chunk of I-Beam the PO had welded in place to act as the floor channel support/body mount. Then the right body mount was cut out due to the mounting hole being so rusted you could slide a beer can through it. The top portion of the frame was sand blasted so I can weld the new body mount in place. Once that is welded in place, it will get POR-15'D then new body bushings and pre assembled floor pan will be dropped in and lined up with the tunnel. From there some slight cowl repair and replacement of all the front end body panels/parts besides the front core support. I was excited to find the VIN code on the frame which matches the title! I'll have more pics by next week!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8269.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	367938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8275.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	367939   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7726.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	367940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8298.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	367941  

Name:	IMG_8285.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	367942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8308.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	367943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8314.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	367944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8368.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	367945  

Old 06/01/15, 04:12 PM   #28
rydog1130
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Pentwater, MI

My Gallery
Garage
couple other pics, there were some other numbers stamped by the VIN, not sure what they mean!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8273.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	367946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8291.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	367947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8369.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	367948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8033.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	367949  

Name:	IMG_8035.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	367950  
Old 06/02/15, 06:05 AM   #29
sprdv1
Contributor
REBEL

Guess you better call the Whaaaambulance

Lees Summit-Missouri

My Gallery
Nice man. Congrats.

Just take it one step at a time, do what you can do when U can.

sprdv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/15, 08:02 AM   #30
rydog1130
Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Pentwater, MI

My Gallery
Garage
Thanks man! will do!

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat