• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cost Building New Bronco From Scratch (Hint it’s in the 80’s)

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Good luck on the build. I will be watching!

Thanks. I’ll post part one of the cost sheet in a week or two. Rolling chassis I want done by the end of January. Body goes on and is primed/raptor lined and returned to me by May. Hope to be driving by end of June. Then spend 1 month to 2 years finishing the tiny things.

Mikesimp70

Shockingly my wife donated her indoor car space for this project, in Chicago, IN WINTER!!! She’s an Angel, or is planning to kill me. Possibly both.

I have complete confidence that this project will turn out completely different than I have planned! With a little luck that will be a good thing. First round is building the rear end, I bought a rebuilt front-end complete from TBP.

I have a very solid cost-sheet done through rolling chassis, body and paint. It’s all the other stuff, dash hardware, door hardware, AC-Heater system etc. . . That I have gone through but not completely itemized. I am also installing a used glovebox..

Suggest you have an auto start installed on your wifes car. Will help you a lot in about a month.

It will definitely have some changes but sounds like you have several big decisions made.

Couple items I didn’t see.

Are you keeping wing windows or going for the full window conversion.

Are you putting in a cage? This will drie a couple mods. Like position of that glove box. Seatbelts?

Hard top or soft top?

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Suggest you have an auto start installed on your wifes car. Will help you a lot in about a month.

It will definitely have some changes but sounds like you have several big decisions made.

Couple items I didn’t see.

Are you keeping wing windows or going for the full window conversion.

Are you putting in a cage? This will drie a couple mods. Like position of that glove box. Seatbelts?

Hard top or soft top?

Got the remote start working already!!! A must.

Haven’t decided on windows yet, been researching it.

I purchased the Krawlers Edge Family frame. A trade-off design, similar to what Jeeps use. Seatbelt attachements for 3 point are built into this frame.

Capt.junk&crap

Loc.
Bristol
I gave all the receipts to my insurance agent and told him I didn't want to know the total. I got most of the "do dads" that add up from Dennis Carpenter. They have 5 and 10 percent off sales from time to time. They used to do a Carlisle All Ford and Supercelebration deals. Anyway, get the catalog and order one of everything. They have flat rate shipping on everything that isn't big enough for freight. Good luck. I'm guessing mine cost 40k with a Bronco that was worth 10k to start with. But I did most of the work.

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Where did you find a 1.5" suspension lift?

Wild Horses just added it. This is a daily driver with a periodic fire road/mild trail vehicle. I was torn manual vs auto but went manual.

The 1” body lift is built into the frame.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
20k in new parts for a scratch self built roller (no tub) if you're lucky

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
$25,000 parts, then thousands in labor. Hours, not dollars.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i will also be following this thread. even though my build is in to double digit years (many years obviously not much has been done), it was bought at time when broncos were affordable for the average person. I will be happy when i do finally finish my bronco and will have less than 30K in it. Good luck on your build and hope it turns out the way you want.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Just watched a 66 thunderbird auction on Bring a Trailer

They had a shop built it and replaced or rebuilt every single thing on the car
Spent $155k total parts and labor

Sold it at a no reserve auction for $19k

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

buy high sell low, not a good plan.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware

I've lost money on a lot vehicles, but that's a real ass beating!:eek:

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Key RC Components
Frame $4,700 (Krawlers Edge)
Engine $4,400 (Blueprint 347 aluminum heads)
Eddlebrock Pro Flow 4 $1,600
Trans $2,400 (AX 15)
Atlas 2 $2,400

Misc Rolling Chassis (Total for this group at the bottom)
Stainless 23 Gallon Fuel Tank
Fuel Lines
Power Steering Quick Ratio
Bushings (body and suspension)
Brakes Disc
Brake lines/fuel lines
Master Cylinder
Hydroboost
Rear end Ford 9"(with LSD)
Front End DANA 44 (Open Diff) (Completely rebuilt DANA 44 upgraded hardware)
Radius Arms
Suspension (Bilstein, Variable rate coils, leaf springs)
Anti Sway Front and Rear
Ebrake cabling
Clutch
Adapter kit for AX 15
Water Pump/Pulley kit
B&M Short Shifter
Engine Mounts
Misc Rolling Chassis. $15,000
Rolling Chassis Total $30,500

Paint $5,000
Body (tub, grill, hood, doors, lift gate, hinge) $20,000 (LAL Customs)
This includes putting RC on jig and figment, adjusting etc, priming, raptor lining)
Family Cage $900
Total $55,500
Stuff left, AC/Heat, Door hardware, hard top, dash
Seats, glass, exhaust, driveshaft, lights etc. etc. etc.
Shipping not included. I expect $5-7k total. Already have confirmed shipping for frame, engine, trans, transfer case and assorted rolling chassis items. Big shipping left is rolling Chassis to LAL Customs and then back.

I couldn’t do this without help of a key organizer at Wild Horses. Justin is using his experience to put the list together for me. The only outside labor I have planned is LAL and paint. There is some minor welding to do but I can cover that. I went with suspension, engine, trans etc that work well with stock set-up to simplify install and reduce cost.

Oh, no wheels and tires yet. Priced them out locally at $1,500 for all 4.

Last edited:

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
What neck of the woods are you in...one of your posts had paint work by Chicaqo...Im in Elgin.

Sounds like a nice rig and the cost is reasonable for what you have. I just was in the market and bought one done. Built a car from the ground up when I was young (still have it) and my company wants me to work on my off days. 12 hour shifts and I dont have any serious tinkering time.

I laughed when you first said you would be driving by summer but you are moving through it....good job.

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

What neck of the woods are you in...one of your posts had paint work by Chicaqo...Im in Elgin.

Sounds like a nice rig and the cost is reasonable for what you have. I just was in the market and bought one done. Built a car from the ground up when I was young (still have it) and my company wants me to work on my off days. 12 hour shifts and I dont have any serious tinkering time.

I laughed when you first said you would be driving by summer but you are moving through it....good job.

I’ll be driving something. That is motorcycle weather so I never feel bad breaking out my Tiger 800.

Elgin!! I’m just south of you in St Charles!!

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

Frame is supposed to be delivered by years end. During the Xmas break we will be assembling the rear end/front end and preparing the suspension components for when the frame arrives. All the “misc” stuff arrives next week. I already have the engine/front end/eddlebrock pro flo. A little out of order but Blueprint built that thing way faster than I thought they would.

OP
OP
T

T-7ToNewOldB

. Built a car from the ground up when I was young (still have it)

I’m building this with my 17 year old son, who is a car nut. We are in the process of finishing a ground up engine build on a 69 beetle, in addition to maintaining a 53 Chevy pickup and my beloved yet aging (read rusting) 2004 wrangler unlimited.

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL

I was at a show last month and the guy had 125,000 in the restoration of a Impala convertible. It was nice but nothing special. There was no emotional attachment like it was his parents car or his from high school. Wow.

Ive noticed the car guys and the Harley guys are getting older. Yeah there is some young guys replacing us but not at the rate it needs to be. Im looking at the crowds at the events....at the auctions...lots of gray hair.

My goal is to leave a trail of memories with my vehicles...my kids are grown and they can join me while im out and about.

In the car world, the Camaro game is different than the Bronco game. They are trying to get the Camaro as close to original as possible and the Bronco guys are headed as far as possible from original. I imagine there are guys that like the Bronco in its stock form so not trying to offend. You know thy have an electric step....could always invent the electric elevator step...wonder if it is possible to have the drivers seat deploy to the ground..get in and then lift into the driving position. Did see one for sale that said he was 70 and couldnt get in it anymore. Sorry, thinking toward the future. I just had a Rosanne, Rosanna Danna moment.

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
I’ll be driving something. That is motorcycle weather so I never feel bad breaking out my Tiger 800.

Elgin!! I’m just south of you in St Charles!!

I have some Harleys too. They are at Fox River Harley on Randal Road for the winter. I eat at Alley 64 during the daylight hours and like the fish fry at the Evergreen on Fridays. Im in St. Charles ALOT. Your not the guy i ran into at the Evergreen that was looking for one? He was very serious.

1st gens are like unicorns in IL. Im off to work.