Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 06/02/21, 08:56 PM   #1
MN 66 Roadster

My Gallery
Whatís a title worth?

My EB experience is limited to a frame-off restoration of a 66 Roadster, recently completed. Iím interested in another project and recently looked at a 68 Wagon here in Minnesota. It was very rusty. Frame was not repairable IMO. Floor, rockers, fenders were shot. I completed some rust repair on the 66 but feel this tub beyond repair. The owner has All the original sales paperwork and manuals along with the clean title. But itís a title to a vehicle thatís rusted away. So whatís a EB title worth?
MN 66 Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/21, 09:00 PM   #2
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Hey MN, welcome to classicbroncos!
No idea myself, so interested to hear what others say. I've seen glovebox and titles go for as little as $200 and as much as $1000 in recent years. I still think of them as the vehicle you're getting (when it's a complete-ish one like you're talking about) and would not pay more than $1,000 for a rusted out heap. However lots of people these days are falling all over themselves to pay more for the same.
Hate to think what some are actually paying, but I know the market is the market and so it's going to be hard to find a "deal" anymore.

Others might have more insight, having perhaps experienced it recently themselves.
Good luck. Hopefully the owner is reasonable about it.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/21, 09:18 PM   #3
RM70

Harvest, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 66 Roadster View Post
My EB experience is limited to a frame-off restoration of a 66 Roadster, recently completed. Iím interested in another project and recently looked at a 68 Wagon here in Minnesota. It was very rusty. Frame was not repairable IMO. Floor, rockers, fenders were shot. I completed some rust repair on the 66 but feel this tub beyond repair. The owner has All the original sales paperwork and manuals along with the clean title. But itís a title to a vehicle thatís rusted away. So whatís a EB title worth?
Unless they had the frame section with the vin to go along with the title I wouldn't pay anything for it.
RM70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/21, 09:27 PM   #4
okie4570
Contributor
Bronco Guru

NW OK
Garage
No pics of the 66 u13?

1971 U15 302/np435/twin sticks
1966 U14 Born 9/65'
1966 U15 Born 10/65'
1966 U14 Born 9/65'- SOLD
okie4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/21, 10:07 PM   #5
Rangerbj

Paul and RM70 are 100% correct. VIN on frame is the only thing that matters.

As to the "worth". If you have a good solid frame, you can build a Bronco with all the after market parts.

Title and matching frame are $1,000 easily in CA
Rangerbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/21, 06:46 AM   #6
Jax302
Contributor

Jacksonville, FL
Just curious, has anyone ever actually seen someone from the DMV climb under a car and look at the frame?
Jax302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/21, 06:56 AM   #7
Jax302
Contributor

Jacksonville, FL
What would your options be if you wanted to start your build with one of those sweet better than new frames or rolling chassis? Stamp you title VIN on the new frame? Cut the VIN section off the old frame and tack it to the new one?
Old 06/03/21, 07:45 AM   #8
pipeline010

SJ= cows+hot chicks
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax302 View Post
Just curious, has anyone ever actually seen someone from the DMV climb under a car and look at the frame?
I live in The Free People's Republic of New Jersey and all they want here is an EXTERIOR picture of the truck brought to the DMV. That was it.

The biggest things they look for? Spoilers and hood scoops. Hood Scoops will kill you in NJ.

"Ignorance is such a gift. It gives you the opportunity to learn something, if you're humble enough."

-Arian Foster, former NFL running back.
pipeline010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/21, 08:00 AM   #9
ngsd
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Tempe AZ
Garage
title

Quote:
I always chime in here as I hate when an unsuspecting buyer ends up with a nightmare. So many people will say it is OK and they never check the frame numbers. BS. I have had two very thorough inspections done recently that would not sign off until frame was verified in AZ with correct frame numbers. Either way, cars are now being sold non matching and entering the marketplace ready for the next person to find out they have a blemished title issue. Somewhere down the line there is financial liability for this especially with the prices now being paid for these gems. Cutting a frame and adding numbers might get you by but would you tell the next buyer that you did that? Probably not because it would hurt the value. Think about what you would pay for a highly restored vehicle that was VIN altered and take it from there. This is always a heated topic on here and social media. But I personally would NEVER buy a vehicle with a VIN issue.
ngsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/21, 08:23 AM   #10
ame

Bend
Garage
If the frame Vin is usable then I would say $2500 min on the west coast as I know some people looking and that is there starting price for one.

Have 1970 Bronco and a 1996 Explorer 5.0 just waiting to donate its engine!
ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/21, 08:31 AM   #11
56f100bbw
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Tucson
eBay: F100gary
A hot Rod builder friend in Tucson had a reproduction 1932 ford Chassis with a original 1932 Arizona title and the DVM would not let, dmv put their own sticker and vin # can’t transfer vin # from from another vehicle .
56f100bbw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/21, 08:33 AM   #12
chuckyb
Contributor

1968 Bronco U15 & 1964 1/2 Mustang Coupe

Mooresville

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
In NC, the DMV sends the county license and theft bureau out prior to titling an out of state vehicle or inoperable vehicle. When they came out to look at my Bronco, they had me pop the hood so they could take a picture of the frame VIN and also took a picture of the glove box VIN.

1968 Bronco U15 - Pebble Beige 289 V8, 3 speed manual w/ Rancho Overdrive, Sears Muzzler and 1Ē BL

Pebbles Build Thread: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278611
chuckyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/21, 08:35 AM   #13
76YETI
Contributor

KC METRO

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
What would your options be if you wanted to start your build with one of those sweet better than new frames or rolling chassis? Stamp you title VIN on the new frame? Cut the VIN section off the old frame and tack it to the new one?
Don't come to Kansas....They will inspect every inch of it...especially if it is coming from out of state.

76 Ranger U151, 33"BFG KO2 on Eagle 058s 15x10, 95 5.0 HO Motor, 96-01 Serp Conv, C4, 1" BL, New Stock Suspension. Fabbed rear tire carrier/bumper. Corbeau XRS Seats.
76YETI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/21, 08:59 AM   #14
Jax302
Contributor

Jacksonville, FL
DMV ladies in Florida are never going to lie on the ground or dive into an engine bay. I've never had them look beyond the door jam including for out of state vehicles. This last time the out of state seller had even written my name in incorrectly on the title. I crossed it out and wrote it in correctly which led them to make a sour face as they transferred the title.
Old 06/03/21, 09:32 AM   #15
mebco09
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerbj View Post
Paul and RM70 are 100% correct. VIN on frame is the only thing that matters.

As to the "worth". If you have a good solid frame, you can build a Bronco with all the after market parts.

Title and matching frame are $1,000 easily in CA
OK, serious question here:

What do you do with a Bronco with a replacement frame?

Either:
1. A non-matching frame from a donor Bronco, in which case you would have two vin #s on the same Bronco,
OR
2. A brand-new replacement frame from Kincer or others?

So often folks on this board take the absolute answer, lots of "Always" and "Never", when there is grey area all over in 50+ year old cars, and every state is different. Neither one of these scenarios proves that a car was stolen.

Here in WA state, all they want is your registration money and the taxes that go with it. Finding stolen cars is not something that the LEOs do here.
mebco09 is online now   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat