• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

transfer case/transmission mount bushings

chris-nc

Bronco Apprentice
I'm slowly getting all of the old worn out bushings taken care of on my '66, and just finished up the radius arm/c-bushing replacement this weekend. My transfer case/transmission mount bushings are so worn, they just spin freely on the bolts. Can the bushings be replaced without removing the entire transmission and transfer case themselves? Like just held in place with a floor jack or something? Or is this a can of worms?

This is on an inline 6, with original 3 speed column shift and early Dana 20 transfer case, if it makes a difference.

If it can be done, any tips/tricks to make life easier?

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should be pretty straightforward. Easier than the radius arms I think.
Support the transmission and remove the crossmember and put in the new bushings. Reverse the steps.

The hard part is without a body lift those bolts are really close to the body and in an awkward postion.
Probably helps to support the trans with the jack, undo the crossmember, then lower the whole thing (trans and all) just enough to get a wrench on the bolt heads more easily.
You can only go so low with a V8 because the driver's valve cover hits the firewall. Not sure about a six-cylinder though. Maybe someone that's done one of those will know how much room there is.

Good luck.

Paul

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
They can be replaced without removing the transmission and transfer case.

Jack up from the transfer case. If you need to lower it down to get clearance for the bolts, unbolt the side mounts of the crossmember assembly that bolt to the frame. Then you can drop down below the frame mounting point slightly.

OP
OP
chris-nc

chris-nc

Bronco Apprentice
Awesome - thanks for the quick responses! One more thing added to the list...

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How are the body bushings?
If they need replaced, they might make trans/transfer case bushing change out easier.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would think about using rubber T case bushings, I know they might not last as long but they do cut out a lot more vibration than the polyurethane ones

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
They can be replaced without removing the transmission and transfer case.

Jack up from the transfer case. If you need to lower it down to get clearance for the bolts, unbolt the side mounts of the crossmember assembly that bolt to the frame. Then you can drop down below the frame mounting point slightly.

where there's a will, there's a way...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure you check the fan and radiator when your letting things down.

OP
OP
chris-nc

chris-nc

Bronco Apprentice
Make sure you check the fan and radiator when your letting things down.

Good call out, thanks. I know that the motor will be basically pivoting on the motor mounts and that could cause some issues. I just need to remember that when I'm under the truck and hyper-focused on dealing with the trans and t-case side.