• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bent door hinges

MrT

Are bent door hinges common? It looks like all 4 of mine are bent. It does look like someone did it on purpose(dents in metal where it was pressed) any suggestions for straightening? I did one but it's not so nice. I thought about cutting one side and welding. At some point new hinges are best I guess. They are pretty expensive though.

Skinnyr1

They are probably bent on purpose to adjust for door gaps and alignment.

Jfryjfry

I would guess that there is no way, except in a crash, that they could be bent apart from on purpose

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
ford use to do it on assembly. That's why you never replace them or move them to different locations. If you replace them expect to do some shimming to get the door positioned properly. If you look inside of the hinge bend you will see long tooling marks from the press wedge. Out of the 7 Broncos I have worked on 2 of them have had modified hinges and no factory shims in any if the trucks hinges.

OP
OP
M

MrT

ford use to do it on assembly. That's why you never replace them or move them to different locations. If you replace them expect to do some shimming to get the door positioned properly. If you look inside of the hinge bend you will see long tooling marks from the press wedge. Out of the 7 Broncos I have worked on 2 of them have had modified hinges and no factory shims in any if the trucks hinges.

That's exactly what it appears to be, tooling marks from a press wedge. Hmmmm they don't bend easy and the look after isn't that good. I guess I need hinges.

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
I had to tweak one of mine a little bit, if you have a big press and know what you are trying to accomplish it isn't a big deal. I've also milled some off of the backside of hinges, many ways to skin a cat if you don't want a stack of shims.