• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 Intermediate Shaft Assembly

Amitchla

Contributor
Hi guys,

I'm in process now of rebuilding the transfer case (long story that a few know parts of at this point) to solve a horrid vibration that begins around 30mph and goes up from there.

Got a great recommendation from @SteveL for a mechanic (South Bay 4x4/Frank) near LAX, and he is everything I want in a mechanic (thanks Steve). He deals with rear ends specifically, and after I took him the Bronco, he confirmed that he thinks it's the transfer case, not the rear end.

After removing the inspection cover and looking at the gears (which I discovered are Teraflex Low 20s, not Jack O'brien, like I was told when I bought the truck), it appears the gears are not properly meshing, as there is scouring on the contact areas on the RWD gears. There's also plenty of metal shavings in the (newly changed) oil, but I have no way to know how normal that is, as I don't know the age of the gears.

Anyway, LONG STORY SHORT, where do the 3 spacers go inside the intermediate shaft? The diagram seems to show one on each end and one in the middle between the needle bearings, but the space between the needle bearings is wide enough to house all 3 spacers, so I can't tell if my interpretation is correct.

I would think placing one spacer in the middle space would cause it to rattle around.

Thanks as always.

The Far Side

Contributor
Nope. Just went through this. One on each end and one between the bearings. Always keep your KY cold. ✌️��