• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Towing with Broncos

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I'll bet most Bronco's won't stop fast enough or stay in their own lane in a true emergency stop WITHOUT a trailer.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Way back in like '79 we had several hogs on a small cattle trailer going to the meat processing plant. 1ton broke down and I hooked my '66 half cab 170 and all. Pulled the trl. the 4 or 5 miles we lacked to the plant. I tell ya I never wanted to do nothing like that again.

I dropped the trailer in the parking of a close business after they unloaded the hogs and called the old man n said he come get the trailer when he got his truck fixed. If I had been older feller I would never have hooked up. Youth is stupid sometimes.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
BluBuck ..
Wow 900 miles I thinks you've found all the correct loading points.
... I'd hate to pull that. My Pucker factor must be higher than yours.
... My 3/4 2500 dodge diesel .. I had to drop down to about 30mph last time I pull my 18ft with an old 1989 diesel pickup ..on it but motor was to the back.. Only way it fit. so loading make a lot of difference.

The Mrs. got a little nervous at times , on the winding roads, and I slowed down for her, but we usually drive the speed limit (60-65) on the freeway.
The rig actually handles and stops very well. The surge brakes help a lot.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The first time we towed with our Bronco, we had rented a little 16' single axle camp trailer. We usually camped in a tent, but we had a new baby and thought a trailer would be easier.
I had installed the hitch too high on the Bronco, and didn't front load the trailer to get enough tongue weight onto the Bronco.
We were traveling down the freeway, at about 55 MPH, and got passed by an auto transport rig. The trailer started to sway. I slowed down and the sway just got worse. At one point the rear tires on the Bronco were squealing. I'm sure it would have rolled if I hadn't accelerated. That stopped the sway and I was able to slow down gradually.
A little experience and knowledge about towing is important.
I wish someone could have advised me.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Good thread. I have a lot of towing experience, and it looks like I may need to use a Bronco for short in-and-around hauls with an 18' car trailer.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Towing

Last night late I looked up a trailer hitch on my bronco but it’s just for pulling a pick up bed trailer around the property nothing else . Saw this picture on line big bronco towing a house trailer

Attachments

• 1F2F593C-CCD2-4BF2-B973-70CC14CCDDBA.jpeg
    1F2F593C-CCD2-4BF2-B973-70CC14CCDDBA.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 69

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I did meet a guy who flat-towed a Jeep behind a 5th wheel trailer in Minnesota. He had talked to a friend who was a highway patrol officer who said that he'd never pull you over for it. But by the letter of the law he was illegal, and no guarantee that the patrol officer you met would agree with his friend.

For sure you may catch that trooper on just the wrong day or something

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Here is a short video of this past weekend. The limits I am facing with this setup is outside temperature, anything above 80° and the bronco runs too hot for comfort at that, below that it manages well. As for actual towing, it is smooth and very controlled.

https://youtu.be/XjJtx6vtdSk

SHX669

Bronco Guru
With the onset of " Towing Season " and only in the realms of a Public Service Announcement - my '76 Owners Manual says it's rated to tow 2000# max with a max tongue weight of 200# --- if you're unfortunate enough to have an accident where Lawyers get involved they WILL ask you how much the trailer weighs and how much is your Bronco rated to tow.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
With the onset of " Towing Season " and only in the realms of a Public Service Announcement - my '76 Owners Manual says it's rated to tow 2000# max with a max tongue weight of 200# --- if you're unfortunate enough to have an accident where Lawyers get involved they WILL ask you how much the trailer weighs and how much is your Bronco rated to tow.

Yes and no, it doesn't hold up in court because federal regulations supersede that. It all comes down to what you have it registered for by your GCVW (which you can legally state to be whatever you want), axle capacity, tire carrying capacity etc. It is not something to take lightly by any stretch but spreading misinformation is not helping the issue. Bottom line if you are uncomfortable and not aware if the risks you should not tow anything period. If you understand the risks, have proper equipment and have taken the necessary precautions you can still do what you want.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Yes and no, it doesn't hold up in court because federal regulations supersede that. It all comes down to what you have it registered for by your GCVW (which you can legally state to be whatever you want), axle capacity, tire carrying capacity etc. It is not something to take lightly by any stretch but spreading misinformation is not helping the issue. Bottom line if you are uncomfortable and not aware if the risks you should not tow anything period. If you understand the risks, have proper equipment and have taken the necessary precautions you can still do what you want.

Did you ask you attorney about this or have previous knowledge experience with this issue? All I know is after someone crossed over the line and drove through my travel trailer then hit the guy behind me head on the State Cops asked me about it , my insurance asked me about it and at least one Lawyer and I think it was two asked me about it. So maybe it isn't an issue - but I don't plan on taking the chance in Court - to each his own.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Did you ask you attorney about this or have previous knowledge experience with this issue? All I know is after someone crossed over the line and drove through my travel trailer then hit the guy behind me head on the State Cops asked me about it , my insurance asked me about it and at least one Lawyer and I think it was two asked me about it. So maybe it isn't an issue - but I don't plan on taking the chance in Court - to each his own.

Personal knowledge when I had my trucking company, we had issues with this. It was stated to us that it doesn't matter what the truck is rated for as it is only an estimation based on the equipment used on that vehicle as it left the factory. You can have a 20,000 lb rated axle and put 5,000 lb rated tires on it and can only carry 10,000 lb at that time, change to 10,000 lb tires and you are now at the capacity of the axle. It is more of a focus on each individual component according to the source and the least rated weight carrying item sets the limit. GVW is all based on those components but it is scaleable because you can change that on your registration any time you wish so this is why it is not a set in stone item. I am by no means encouraging ppl to set their own, you have a lot of factors to take into consideration with it but your main limiting factor will always come down to the axle rated capacity as well as the tires and subtract the weight of your vehicle etc. Most automobiles can carry a lot more but the ability to do so, stop that mass and cool the engine are how the manufacturer sets limitations however you can upgrade readily most all of those components so again that limitation can be moved if that makes sense. If you plan to tow more you have to upgrade everything along the way to do so.