• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bias Ply

PickleJar

This is going to be up to the eye of the beholder, I know but....

I come from a younger generation and have never driven on bias ply tires. How bad are they?

My bronco will be used mainly for weekend joy rides, and light offroading and camping. Some 2 lane black top driving...

Also, does anyone have pictures of an uncut non lifted and/or lifted bronco with tires such as this? I would like to see 16". And are you happy with your decision?

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/sta-traxion-750-16.html

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Bias plus aren’t that bad. Ran them on my f100 back in the 70’s & early 80’s. The will flat spot if you let them sit for a long time. The flat pots go away once you drive it some and get some heat in the tire. Definitely not a high performance radial but then again a bronco was never intended to go around corners at 60 mph either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbruz

Contributor
I'm currently running those exact tires on my bone stock 1975 F250 highboy. They do flat spot as already suggested and are fairly loud.
If you thought a Bronco was a low performance vehicle on turns, try a stock highboy......
Id post a pic if I knew how to.
Tbruz

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Well, I will tell you that bias ply tires were obviously what the Bronco was designed to use. I had D-rated (6 ply) bias tires in the 70' s and I greatly lamented the day I had to go to radials. The bias tires were far better handling in my opinion. I don't know about cornering, but just steering down the road they were way, way more directionally stable. Tough as absolute nails, literally. I never enjoyed driving the 71 quite as much after I had to move to radials. Too soft and squishy.

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Not to be taken too seriously....

Bias ply tires flat spot.
Bias ply tires don't age well
Bias ply tires don't deal with with temperature swings well.
Bias ply tires track grooves in the road and paint lines causing your steering to feel wrong.

They are strong, tough, and available in traditional sizes. You can run them at like 2 lbs of air pressure and they eat rocks and mud all day long.
They come in patterns that are era correct.
They are a perfect middle finger to the idea that Broncos are a $60,000 trendy, luxury vehicle. True to the cause.
Run 'em. When new, they are great. I'll take sx's or boggers over bfg's any day on a bush truck, but they can be tough leaving for work at 5:30 am on a cold morning after the novelty wears off. Or explaining to the old lady why she has to hold the steering wheel with both hands while driving on a side street to keep from being pulled into a telephone pole.
If you can manage, and if you like your life to include a healthy dose of hillbillery....get some, and don't look back.
Currently running 37" boggers. Next tires will be 38 sx's. Not my daily driver tho.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I ran 6.50X16s on my Willys M38 Jeep and loved them. They were easy to steer with no power steering and worked great on snow and soft dry sand. On wet pavement traction wasn't good however. They had the military none directional tread pattern, so the center is like a slick. I now use a 7.00X16 for spare on the '77 EB. They're the same diameter as my 10.50X15 BFG ATs, just a lot narrower. Kind of a space saver full diameter spare that can get you back from anywhere.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
What I really liked was the fact that you could get 9.00x 31. Fit the stock rim and fit under the uncut fenders. And, yes, no power steering required. No wonder power steering suddenly became necessary. Radials are just too squishy and turning them became more difficult..

snoddas

love them also.
May sometimes when sitting long feels a little bumpy but after half mile or less as usually again - totally okay! 7.00-15LT Super traxion. Love the look.

Have Bias ply on my 1965 Dodge Hemi SS (tribute) also. 7.10 in front and L78 rear. Radir Dragster 8.20-15 on raceway.

Thanks/Anders

Attachments

• gran.jpg
    gran.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 83

stoker

I ran BF Goodrich Silvertown tires (7.50 X 16) on my 73. I replaced them with radials. The radials behave better but the old tires worked well for what I use the Bronco for.......I love the classic look of the old bias ply tires. When these radials wear down I'll probabaly get another set of bias ply.

Nothing Special

True that Broncos don't corner well. But they do corner better on radials than they do on bias ply tires. I out a lot of miles on an older Suburban with bias ply tires. I always thought it was pretty good until I drove on radials.

So if you want bias ply tires for any of a number of good reasons, go for it. They will handle worse than comparable radials. But as long as you're careful about it they aren't so bad that they'll get you in trouble.

OP
OP
P

PickleJar

love them also.
May sometimes when sitting long feels a little bumpy but after half mile or less as usually again - totally okay! 7.00-15LT Super traxion. Love the look.

Have Bias ply on my 1965 Dodge Hemi SS (tribute) also. 7.10 in front and L78 rear. Radir Dragster 8.20-15 on raceway.

Thanks/Anders

Yours is perfect, what suspension do you have? Stock?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I have the 9.50x32x15 Bias tire for my truck and I like the look and they drive nice. The only problem I have with the Swampers is they will pick up a 2 inch stone and chuck it at the under side of the truck.

Attachments

• assm body 1.jpg
    assm body 1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 60
  • complete1.jpg
    complete1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 59
  • vanity 3.jpg
    vanity 3.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 52

snoddas

Ken, I probably get kicked out of the forum for posting this.
Its a non truck :-(

/Anders

Attachments

• FF542B24-893A-42DA-A54F-9C257A987ECF.jpg
    FF542B24-893A-42DA-A54F-9C257A987ECF.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 65

skinner

Contributor
Bias

They bounce as they all say above... love them though... 7x15 stock ride height.

Attachments

• D724FFB9-B915-42BB-8A4F-C1572F6436D9.jpg
    D724FFB9-B915-42BB-8A4F-C1572F6436D9.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 53

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I run 15 x 36 bias fun country (very old) on mine and have had no trouble and it cornered fine on tail of the dragon