• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Help With possible reason why bronco won't start

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good memory. Seems like that was discussed just about a month ago or so?
Was the test simply placing an aluminum shield vertically between the distributor and the throttle body? Or was it more involved than that?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I asked for a larger tank but I filled it up for the first time this week and it took a little over 11 gallons.

Was it for sure bone dry? Because 11gal is the total capacity of most of the stock rear tanks.
But if it was half-full (can't go by the gauges usually) then that 11gal would be consistent.
Fuel gauges on these often have to be tweaked to read properly with the gauges. The best way to tell what tank you have is to post up a pic of it and let us take a look.
Maybe a rear angle shot, and one of the side of the tank near the filler neck would be enough for us to tell you what you have.

Bronco 4 life

Loc.
Yakima
ya I want to say I had read a couple that had aluminum shields even to the point of wrapping stuff in aluminum foil like wires........ either the hei has messed with both FItech units making it repeatable now that we are at 2 no start conditions or it still could be something else but it seems plausible... Test spark and make sure there is fuel pressure at the throttle body not sure if there is a gage up there or not ?? Also check all the wiring to the FItech and dizzy.. If all they did last time was put a new fitech on and it worked (I see it’s a different version higher HP) and touched nothing els it’s not out of the question that the ecu is not loving having that HEI next to it. If the HEI is one of the Amazon eBay knock offs
Maybe it is less insulated than other name brands????

OP
OP
P

psehring

According to my fuel gage I rolled into the gas station on fumes. When I go over to the shop in a couple hours ill take a couple pictures. I have no problem changing the HEI I don't really want cheap parts in my bronco. I already found out FiTech was one of the cheaper systems but it was already installed and wired for that system and was trying to get the truck back as soon as possible.

OP
OP
P

psehring

I was able to run by the shop. Some how the bronco starts now that it is at the shop. I also took some picture of the hei system and it has no brand on it, I figure it is probably a cheap one so was thinking of replacing it with a nicer one with good reviews. They also were able to find the coolant leak from a hose and fixed that. I took a picture of the tank as well and it looks like an 11 gallon but I still haven't figured out how to upload the pictures to the tread. While its already at the shop I was going to add an electric fan as well. I will see what they think is causing it after they drive it around a little and see if it repeats my stalling/ not starting problem.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
To load pictures "go advanced" then follow instructions.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The better hei unit is the DUI. Davis unified ignition. I think they're in Tennessee or around there. They have real good tech service. I would ask em about your problem before ordering one. That also ask a list questions about your vehicle. Motor, cam specs, vehicle weight are a few I remember.

OP
OP
P

psehring

here a picture of my gas tank and what I believe is a cheap hei distributor. I will contact that other company and see if they can help

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 48

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Stock fuel tank with high pressure inline fuel pump??? So did it stop running when you were getting low but ran when you filled up the tank?
If so, welcome to the world of not allowing your tank to go below 1/4 (normal issue).
Solution is a in-tank fuel pump.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, stock tank that barely holds 11ga on a good day.

Also, didn't you say that was a 351? Looks like a 302 from this angle, but it's easy to be wrong with some angles.
Take another shot of the engine, just under the distributor area.

Or you can easily tell yourself by looking at the break between the intake manifold and the iron block (China rail, if spelling is correct) and see how high it is in relation to the base of the distributor.
If the gasket rail under the intake is maybe 3/8" above the distributor base flange, it's a 302. If it's roughly 1" above the distributor base flange, it's a 351 (Windsor in this case).

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And yes the FiTech is one of the "cheap" TBI setups, but so is a Holley Sniper and several others now that the heat is on the pricing. Hard to sell a $2200 setup when the competition is at $900, so lots of them are playing the game.
They all can have issues, and they can all run fantastic. So you're fine for now at least with the FiTech injection.
The name is not a deal-breaker. Lots of them out there running great.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I also see a front dipstick. That is not normal on a Bronco.
Confirmed you have a stock 11ish gallon rear/main fuel tank.

Do you have a list of work performed? Just the stuff claimed to be done, don't post what they charged or this will go off on a very ugly and unproductive tangent.

It may have died simply because it ran out of gas or was too low to be effective.

OP
OP
P

psehring

The gas tank was 90 percent full when it stopped running. Its a 351w or I have a serious problem cause thats what I paid for it was one of my few things I said I had to have when starting the build. This was the start of the contract tomorrow ill edit out the prices of final one that is more detailed but not by much.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
P

psehring

as I said there was really nothing detailed about what really went into the engine but tomorrow ill try and get it figured out. But even looking at the final bill its mostly dash, differential, LED, audio and brake upgrades rather then anything on the engine its self.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some other comments from the pictures so far.
It does look like a lot of new parts were used, so you did get at least some of the stuff.
What height is the suspension lift? If you said, I forgot, but the rear differential vent was not extended, nor does it look like the parking brake cables were.
But the cables might be due to trying to snake around the dual exhaust. Dual exhaust systems are a royal pain on Broncos.

As you can see, the left side exhaust is extremely close to all the goodies. Fuel lines, wiring, brake lines. All important things.
If the heat is effecting the fuel temperature and there is not a return line you could still get trouble from that I would think, depending too upon where the fuel pump was placed.

Most dual exhausts are like yours, but a clever installer could have kept the mufflers and pipes farther away from the frame rail and all the tubing. And the installer could have done something about the parking cables and vent line.
Wondering how the front and rear brake hoses were handled? Maybe they're stock length too, which would be too short for a lift of 3.5" or more.

So as you get time, and can crawl over, under and around the vehicle, keep the pics coming. So far they're telling us a lot. Just not the whole story yet.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
as I said there was really nothing detailed about what really went into the engine but tomorrow ill try and get it figured out. But even looking at the final bill its mostly dash, differential, LED, audio and brake upgrades rather then anything on the engine its self.

Good luck.. just hit one thing at a time