• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

engine building professionals

oldiron

Bronco Guru
SLOWLY rebuilding the 302 in the '72 after the clutch disaster, and came up with a question that I can't find an answer to. Is there any real reason not to install the cam in the bare block first? i.e. before the crank and rotating assembly? It would make installing the cam carefully a lot easier if the crank wasn't in the way.
Greg

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, you can put the cam in first if you want. No problem. What many guys do is screw a long bolt into the cam to use as a handle to help guide the cam. Good luck

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
3/8" all thread rod about 12" long will help with a cam install regardless if the crank is in there or not.

OP
OP
oldiron

oldiron

Bronco Guru
I actually have a cam install handle. Every engine I've ever built, I've installed the crank first. I started asking why we always do the crank first and got no really solid answer other than " thats just the way we do it". One older machinist told me that it kept him from rotating the engine on the stand more than was absolutely necessary. i.e. finish the bottom, rotate it, then finish the top.
Greg

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
If you use a handle (long bolt), use assembly lube, and install carefully, you really don’t have to worry about damaging anything.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I stood the block up with bell housing end down and lowered the cam carefully in.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always did this^^^^ and installed before crank on engine stand.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that's a good idea! Much better way to drop the cam in rather than trying to hold it vertical and not nick cam bearings. Thanks for the tip.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Now that's a good idea! Much better way to drop the cam in rather than trying to hold it vertical and not nick cam bearings. Thanks for the tip.

I learned this method from an engine builder. Building an engine "on end" is lots easier on your back. They told me, engine stands are for amateurs. I have one, but find the bench easier.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Engine stands are where you store the engine... Or on an old tire