• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rampage soft top

Mark850

Hey guys, I’m looking to put on a Rampage soft top and I haven’t dove too far into yet but I’m noticing the body aluminum that mounts on body sits on top of these openings at the top of my panels? Is this normal and am I just supposed to skip bolting them on that spot? Photo attached to show (bracket is being held backwards but I wanted to show the openings I’m talking about).

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Mkinkade850/p/70e571cd-353c-4a94-ac9d-8eb30baff747

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Its on backwards. the slide rail goes to the outside. I welded those pocket holes up on my Bronco, let me go outside and take a pic.

OP
OP
M

Mark850

Thanks, yeah I was just holding the bracket up to show what holes I was talking about on the body. Are those pockets used to mount hard tops or something?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 36B4B514-DE71-4C82-9DC2-D5066F6BAB40.jpg
    36B4B514-DE71-4C82-9DC2-D5066F6BAB40.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 75F4D9EC-ED5D-40C1-A03F-F55EB7256FA5.jpg
    75F4D9EC-ED5D-40C1-A03F-F55EB7256FA5.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 87

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Yes Sir, Those pockets are for the stakes that mount to the hard tops. They bolt to the top and inside that pocket.
I forgot to add that the instructions want you to put a self tapping screw in that last hole (if I remember correctly), I did not put one it and mine seems to work just fine.
Good luck with it!

Last edited:

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
It goes like this bro! My Rampage fits perfectly.

OBTW, DO NOT drill holes in your B pillars for the door/window frame posts where they are supposed to penetrate. You can fab up a simple bracket, and trim the top's post ~1/4" to accommodate the fit. There is an old post on here somewhere with details.

Attachments

• Rampage.jpg
    Rampage.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 64

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, stake pocket as a hold-over from the fact that it was also available as a pickup truck (half-cab to most of us) and as a bonus it was used to hold the hard top more rigidly.
Can also be utilized to accessories that have legs to insert into pockets.

But the downside for us soft top users is that the stake pockets go all the way to the great outdoors and let all sorts of dust and fumes (think, exhaust) back into the cabin when the top is up.
So it's a good practice to figure a way to block the holes off. Not just the top opening, but depending on the year of the Bronco, several bolt holes along it's vertical surface near the tailgate.

Does not have to be permanently welded, but that's probably the cleanest fix. Can be as simple as stuffing rags down into the chamber below. But it's a good thing to do no matter what.
Especially for those with dual exhaust, or exhaust pipes that come up short of the rear corner.

Paul