Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 12/06/08, 10:07 AM   #1
Hurk

Best way to clean axel housing?

I picked up a D 44 with factory 4.56 gears for my 69. The housing had sat for a long time with no axels in it. The inner tubes are full of crud and are pretty nasty . The only thing thats not removed at this time is the third member . I have all new parts for the rebuild (chromolly axels, disk brakes new hubs, bearings, etc..) What is the best way to clean the inside of the housing?
Old 12/06/08, 10:12 AM   #2
Wyflyer
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Brighton, Colorado

My Gallery
Garage
Yank the 3rd member out and take the housing to the car wash and give it a good blasting. If necessary use an oil/grease solvent like Citrol to cut the grease, then wash it again.
The dirt is just stuck to the grease but will come out pretty easy once it's stripped down.

"not a project for dreamers it does take some work to build a car"-Craigslist Bronco for sale
Old 12/06/08, 10:17 AM   #3
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Grease Monkey

Our factory order

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
If it has sat for long without the axles, you can't know what has crawled into it.
Best way? Pull the carrier out, swab and pressure wash. That will give you a chance to replace the the inner seals.

'77 Ranger/cut F&R/PS/PB/Vintage Air/2" suspension lift/1" body lift/T tie rod conversion/33-1050-15 BFG K02 tires/ 302/ Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 bbl/Aero Tanks/ Hooker Headers/ dual ex/ NV3550/ B&M shifter/ JB FabTwin Sticks/ 4.11s/rear posi.
Old 12/06/08, 10:20 AM   #4
Hurk

Thanks..
Old 12/06/08, 10:24 AM   #5
Broncoholic1

My Gallery
Car wash won't get it, Not enough heat.
Get a buddies steam cleaner and some mineral spirits (paint thinner) you need the steam to cut the grease and get it into suspension with the mineral spirits. That will leave it squweeky clean. Have a blast

Do a job big or small do it right or not at all. Once the job has begun, do not stop till it's done,,, Or till the wife takes the visa card away
<br>
Old 12/06/08, 10:24 AM   #6
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Inside the tubes, long rod of all thread and a large fender washer. Use it as a rake to scrape the crud out.

You should still pull the cover and look inside. IF in doubt take it apart (keep track of everything and it's orientation, reference marks as needed), clean and reassamble. Sucks to trash $100's in parts due to lack of a few dollars and a little time preparing it.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
Why do people keep expecting "normal" from me?
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Old 12/06/08, 10:32 AM   #7
Hurk

I was thinking about an arb air locker would that not give me new pinion and carrier bearings too?
Old 12/06/08, 10:34 AM   #8
Wyflyer
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Brighton, Colorado

My Gallery
Garage
A car wash will clean it just fine. A steam cleaner will do it better.

"not a project for dreamers it does take some work to build a car"-Craigslist Bronco for sale
Old 12/06/08, 11:05 AM   #9
Broncoholic1

My Gallery
My FW were a mess the car wash laughed at the crud, I like the scraper method. The key is mineral spirits w/Heat

Do a job big or small do it right or not at all. Once the job has begun, do not stop till it's done,,, Or till the wife takes the visa card away
<br>
Old 12/06/08, 12:10 PM   #10
Rockin69er

Cottonwood, Az
I also bought a 44 in the same shape. After taking the gears and carrier out I figured I might as well change the ball joints. With no knuckles on the housing it JUST fit in my machinist's hot tank he uses for cleaning engine blocks, heads etc. A quick hand wash with soap and water when it came out and it was clean enough to eat off of.
Old 12/06/08, 12:27 PM   #11
Wyflyer
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Brighton, Colorado

My Gallery
Garage
Yeah this ain't brain surgery. Think of it like this: the stubborn stuff in the housing is the paraffins and asphaltine residues that came with the rear end grease and has now stuck to the metal. Think of it as wax and asphalt.
This stuff is usually (but not always) heat soluble but is more often chemical soluble.
In layman's terms this means chemicals will remove it better than heat and water. Water alone is the worst choice but with heat (hot water or steam) it will usually do some good.
The very best method would be some magic machine that sprays solvents at high pressure like a car wash, but heats it to steam cleaner temperatures. I sometimes am guilty of overcomplicating simple tasks. Anything that will cut the grease will work just dandy.
Heck, I bet you could pull a kitten through the axle tube with a rope and it would act much like swabbing your shotgun barrel with patches...

Old 12/06/08, 12:48 PM   #12
mr.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobowsher View Post
Inside the tubes, long rod of all thread and a large fender washer. Use it as a rake to scrape the crud out.
x2

Alltread to the center diff, add the washer there and pull out. Then scrape back and forth.
Next step soap & hot water.

After is clean as your getting it, paint the inside with oil base paint. (Not the diff, the tubes) Think Farm implement paint.

My basic notes on Dana 44 and other Dana axles -> http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html
Old 12/06/08, 06:25 PM   #13
Bronco Brian
Bronco Guru

No Money / No Time

Ukiah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyflyer View Post
I bet you could pull a kitten through the axle tube with a rope and it would act much like swabbing your shotgun barrel with patches...
Best Idea yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyflyer View Post
I bet you could pull a kitten through the axle tube with a rope and it would act much like swabbing your shotgun barrel with patches...
Old 12/06/08, 06:47 PM   #14
tdc_worm

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Brian View Post
Best Idea yet
agreed.

second best idea:

get a 3 or 4 foot long 1/4" rod from lowes cheap metal selection. grap a 3 inch wire wheel. weld it to the end of the rod. attach to drill. punch it through the tube. get real busy and it will get real clean...
Old 12/06/08, 11:06 PM   #15
sevenTseven

Is it time for your medication or mine?

Oklahoma City, OK

My Gallery
3rd best idea, get two kittens and do both axle tubes at once.

Hearing protection is highly encouraged for the two kitten method.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives