• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Scammed out of $11k by TheBroncoMan Michael Shasho

dr_brewer

Loc.
Monument
Please advise if I should be posting this in a different forum section.
I wanted to make everyone aware of what happened to me in hopes that it doesn’t happen to someone else and that hopefully this guy doesn’t get anymore business.

I bid on a bronco II listed on ebay a few weeks ago. The reserve wasn’t met, but I was the highest bidder and was contacted by the seller. He asked me if I wanted the vehicle at my bid and I stupidly took the bait. His ad said the “transmission shifts perfectly. It drives excellent and has a nice solid feel”. Below, you can find the listing that was on ebay.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=372803541388&category=6222&pm=1&ds=0&t=1572904921242&cspheader=1

The truck finally arrived yesterday and I met the transport truck at a local gas station. Of course, as I was headed on my way home, the bronco wouldn’t shift out of first. Initially, I was still giving the seller the benefit of the doubt and thought that maybe the vacuum to the transmission modulator was bad or somehow was disconnected during transport. That was not the case. Below is a picture of the transmission fluid.

https://imgur.com/a/JDkyOS0

Likewise, while investigating the transmission further today, I noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust. See video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maN-Yexdfjc&feature=youtu.be

As embarrassing as it is to admit, I lost $11k to this guy.
This was my first major purchase on ebay and I should have known better. Since I purchased the vehicle outside of ebay, I don’t have any recourse through them. Well understood that I am responsible for getting screwed as I did not go check out the vehicle nor have someone else local do it. Since this guy has been selling vehicles for 15 years (he claims) and deals only in broncos, I incorrectly believed I could trust this guy.

You can find this clown's dealership website at

https://thebroncoman.com/

My first course of action is to let everyone know that this is what this gentlemen did/does. If anybody has any suggestions on how to publicize this to a wider audience so nobody else makes the mistake, please advise.

Anywhere else I should post this? Other suggestions?

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Hate that this happened to you. But it appears this guy does not deal with Early Broncos. Just an FYI, this site is basically for Early Broncos only.. Those that are from 1966 to 1977. Most guys on here would not buy any vehicle sight unseen off Ebay. But thanks for sharing. Need to expose guys like this.

OP
OP
D

dr_brewer

Loc.
Monument
He just said it drove fine for him for 3 months.

Refuses to respond further to text or phone calls.

Hasn't given me any options.

OP
OP
D

dr_brewer

Loc.
Monument
Yes I understand. I own a '73 and a '77 as well. I'm going to post in every bronco website I can find.

OP
OP
D

dr_brewer

Loc.
Monument
Just saying "not to be a d_ck" doesn't mean you aren't. haha. J/K. But, yeah that's why I acknowledged the stupidity in my original post.

Since the guy does this for a living, I stupidly thought I was alright. I know. Dumb as can be.

Bronco II only because when i was in high school I had a buddy who had one and I could never afford one.

Apparently I'm not supposed to own one.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Im sure you bought it “as is” with no warranty. “As is” is not a defense for fraud. Find a good attorney that deals in consumer law and auto dealer fraud. He will want to see all your paperwork.....

rmk57

The white smoke looks like condensation. you can also see water dripping from the tailpipe. Whats it like when it warms up?

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Im sure you bought it “as is” with no warranty. “As is” is not a defense for fraud. Find a good attorney that deals in consumer law and auto dealer fraud. He will want to see all your paperwork.....

I think you would have a rough go of this. In his Ebay ad he clearly says he will bring it to any Ford Dealership or mechanic to have the vehicle checked out, at the potential buyers expense. If you don't take him up on this, and buy it as is, uninspected, then I think you are going to have a hard time. All of his comments and claims on the ad are very subjective. He is basically giving his opinion on the condition and function of the truck.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I agree with hyghlndr that 11k for a Bronco II was at least 50% too much, if not more. It does look to be in good shape so I don’t think you lost the whole 11k, just the extra cost to rebuild the transmission. I do feel he mislead any prospective buyer by his write up, social media is a very powerful tool, spread the word.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
FWIW it looks like a solid vehicle inside and out, hopefully the mechanicals can be brought up to snuff without much more expense, live and learn my friend...you rarely get your money back out of a vehicle anyway ;) unless of course it's an EB ;D

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I think you would have a rough go of this. In his Ebay ad he clearly says he will bring it to any Ford Dealership or mechanic to have the vehicle checked out, at the potential buyers expense. If you don't take him up on this, and buy it as is, uninspected, then I think you are going to have a hard time. All of his comments and claims on the ad are very subjective. He is basically giving his opinion on the condition and function of the truck.

He did say this in the ad “the transmission shifts perfectly. It drives excellent and has a nice solid feel.” Those are statements from a dealer. He is in the business of buying and selling cars. He should know how it is supposed to shift and drive....

I just went thru something with a dealer. Just the threat of legal action for breach of contract, fraud, and violations of the Fair Business Practices Act was enough to get me a nice settlement. They folded like a cheap lawn chair after a few certified letters from the attorney. He knew all of their tricks....

The first thing he told me was that people usually think they have no legal recourse at all if they buy a vehicle “as is”... I’m not saying there is a good case here, but I didn’t think I had one either.

I would definitely consult an attorney familiar with used car laws within the state.... I’m not one but, I learned a lot about what to do next time, and got a settlement.

Last edited:

chuckyb

Contributor
Sorry about the transmission. I bought an 88 bronco II several years back and the transmission crapped on the way home, so I feel your pain.

I agree you will have a difficult time seeking legal remedies and probably only spend more money and get angrier.

It’s a great looking rig. With what you’ve got into it I think I would pay for a trans rebuild and try to enjoy it.

OP
OP
D

dr_brewer

Loc.
Monument
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the feedback. I never thought I would get my money back but just didn't want anyone else to be the moron I was.

On a another note, I did get a really nice uncut '77 to drive while I work/learn on my '73. Really happy with it and will put up pictures soon.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sell me the '77 and use that money to fix up the II. It's a win win situation! ;D

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Yes I understand. I own a '73 and a '77 as well. I'm going to post in every bronco website I can find.

You ought to post it up on TheRangerStation.com as well. https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php They cover Ranger pickups & B2s & should be informed about a scammer selling their trucks. They also might be a resource in getting yours squared away if you end up keeping it.

ransil

Bronco Guru
change the tranny fluid and see what happens, worse case needs rebuilt.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
change the tranny fluid and see what happens, worse case needs rebuilt.

x2. Do a quick tranny service and see if that helps. If not, a rebuild shouldnt set you back too far. It looks solid otherwise.

I went through some issues with a lying dealership too and ended up eating a few thousand in repairs.