• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 automatic shift linkage

Rusted1

I currently have a 2 inch body lift and swapped from a manual to an automatic transmission. I rebuilt my automatic steering column and have a new shift linkage rod and James Duff 2 inch rod extension due to the body lift. The trans also has a B&M shift lever which I found out is shorter than a stock lever making everything not Line up and attach properly.The original shift lever had been cut off by a PO. My question is, will the Lokar shift linkage be long enough to accommodate the body lift or should I just try and locate a stock shift lever
/shaft, and do it the correct way? Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure either way (not an automatic expert) but just for reference, is this a standard Bronco C4 auto, or some other type of transmission?

Paul

OP
OP
Rusted1

Rusted1

This is a standard c4 trans out of another running Bronco.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. Sorry can't help with the issue.
But the others have probably been down similar roads, so should be able to.

Good luck.

Paul

Bronco-Brian

Contributor
Loc.
Lake Oswego, OR
Been down this road when I installed a flaming river tilt column with my 4R70w auto trans. What I found is the arc length of the column shift lever hole needs to match the stroke length of the trans shifter at the linkage hole. E.g. If the column shift lever arc from Park to 1st is 3" (just guessing here), then the trans shift lever hole needs to sweep 3". If your trans arc length is shorter or longer, then the indicator and actual gear position won't match. You can weld an extension to your trans shift lever to achieve the stock length. Your 2" longer rod should then work out just fine. The rod just connects the two levers.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like you collected a bunch of correct parts. The shift arm on the transmission is what you are fighting right now. I recall that the shift arm is Bronco specific, and obsolete. Which will make finding one difficult.

But I think you will be good with the Lokar universal arm. Really you need to set 2 variables. The first one is the centerline of the shaft to the pivot point. The other is the angle. To get the stroke and the detents correct you have to have the correct angles as well as the correct length.

This is where it would be real nice to have a stock Bronco C4 as a reference point. Find someone with a stock C4, get an accurate arm length, and what it the angle (say in park and use the transmission pan as a reference point). Set that correct and then you can install the linkage and adjust for the body lift.

quic

Contributor
I had the same problem, added two inch body lift and tilt wheel, my arm was cut also I bolted on the lokar kit, it worked. the only noticeable thing is when I put it in first it reads in-between 1 and 2nd but park and drive are ok

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How did this all work out? I am doing the same thing with wildhorse ididit column. Trouble is, I have no idea where to start with clocking my column shift lever? 10 oclock when looking from front?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
How did this all work out? I am doing the same thing with wildhorse ididit column. Trouble is, I have no idea where to start with clocking my column shift lever? 10 oclock when looking from front?

pics always help too.. glad he got it worked out

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Shift arm

Viperwoolf1 made this shift arm for me and works great and it was cheap I didn’t want a lokar wanted NSW to work and back up lights to work

Attachments

• 95071C30-ECCD-4614-B676-35734EE72A4D.jpeg
    95071C30-ECCD-4614-B676-35734EE72A4D.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 56

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks 56. can you get me a picture looking at the column side of the linkage? Trying to clock the upper lever

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since the aftermarket column does not come with the PRNDL indicator already mounted, you don't have that reference point (put it straight up at the top and you're good) and have to use others. But I believe that it's not 100% critical to get it to just that perfect point either.
Seems like you could put the shift lever inside at a comfortable level. Basically where you like it.
Same goes for the turn signal lever I would think. Orient it so that the lever is elevated just slightly, or more precisely put it where it's comfortable to use when the steering wheel is straight ahead.

Seems like those reference points would put you in the ball park.
I take it that this is not a direct-fit column that has the cowl bracket already welded in place. Is this one with the more universal clamp with the hole in it?

Good luck.

Paul

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since the aftermarket column does not come with the PRNDL indicator already mounted, you don't have that reference point (put it straight up at the top and you're good) and have to use others. But I believe that it's not 100% critical to get it to just that perfect point either.
Seems like you could put the shift lever inside at a comfortable level. Basically where you like it.
Same goes for the turn signal lever I would think. Orient it so that the lever is elevated just slightly, or more precisely put it where it's comfortable to use when the steering wheel is straight ahead.

Seems like those reference points would put you in the ball park.
I take it that this is not a direct-fit column that has the cowl bracket already welded in place. Is this one with the more universal clamp with the hole in it?

Good luck.

Paul

The in the cab side of the column is not my concern. Its the under the hood side I am trying to get a visual of while in Park. On this aftermarket column (WH direct fit), the lever, arm or linkage connector (the one under the hood) can be clocked in 16 different ways. It is not in a set position like the stock column is. I never had one to reference in the past.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Auto linkage

Not sure if this is what you want I have original steering column with original linkage in park

Attachments

• D4F12B51-FDFB-4F44-A1DB-7F21450C2A3D.jpg
    D4F12B51-FDFB-4F44-A1DB-7F21450C2A3D.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 44

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ahh, ok. I misunderstood because I've never noticed that you had to clock your own! I've got one and though I have not installed it yet, I've taken it out of the box and am pretty sure that the under-hood shift lever was already installed.

Guess there has been a change that I did not get the memo on, or I was not paying close attention when I looked at the last few.
Maybe it's a way of letting those that want to, re-use their old stock C4 shift rod? Not sure since 90% of users seem to be using the universal fit rod instead.
Is it a splined interface? Or does it only give you a few clocking positions to choose from?
Seems to me that if it's got a large range of choices that you could get it pretty close and still be good. Would seem like there is at least a little bit of leeway for this type of linkage throw.

If you have not already called in to WH, let me know and I'll check into it and see what is going on.

Paul