• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Dipstick & Oil Capacity

Dandesjar

This might be a stupid question but...

The aftermarket dipstick I have was installed by the previous owner and never has read accurately. It’s JB Welded in place so I’m going to be dropping the oil pan and reinstalling a new dipstick.

What I’m asking is: does a “FULL” reading on the dipstick correspond to 5 litres of oil in the pan alone? Or does FULL take into account what’s in the filter as well?

IE. To get an accurate reading on the dipstick do I just fill the pan with 5 litres of oil and set the dipstick so it reads full (with oil in the filter)? Or should I be changing out the filter and taking the oil measurement with 5 litres in the pan and a dry filter?

Maybe I’m over thinking it. Does it even matter?

Last edited:

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
well the pan holds 5 quarts and the filter 1 quart. so I would drain oil, change filter, fill with 6 quarts oil, run it, let sit for a bit then adjust your dipstick to read full.

OP
OP
D

Dandesjar

I guess that was sort of what I was getting at: does the filter hold a full quart?

And a 5.0 pan holds 5 qts PLUS whatever is in the filter... so actually closer to 6 qts?
Or is it 5 qts in total with 4 in the pan and 1 in the filter?

Just want to confirm so I don’t overfill it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Standard full size FL1A sized filter holds a quart. All the service manuals from the day lists the capacity difference as 1 quart depending on if you change the filter or not.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What m_m said. The official capacity per Ford is 6qts with a Bronco or 4wd pickup oil pan.
They claim it's a 5+1 in the filter, even though you can't put a full quart manually into the filter, so you have to take their word for it and use standard size filters instead of the small ones.

Which 5.0 pan do you have? Fox body, or something else? I think most people still use the 6-quart rule even with Fox body pans, but not 2wd or other unknown pans.

Paul

OP
OP
D

Dandesjar

Thanks. It’s the stock pan... I’ve been running K&N oil filters and I’m not sure what their capacity is. It sure doesn’t seem like 1 quart. I suppose I could just revert back to a more stock option on the oil filter and go with 6 quarts.
Thanks for the help

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s the stock pan.

Stock Bronco? Or stock something else?
You said 5.0, which is a term most people usually only use when talking about later engines being swapped in from more modern vehicles. But being from some part of Canada or another, you may have always been using the 5.0 name even back when they were just called 302's around here.
And your signature indicates a 347, so it's obviously no longer just a simple stock engine.
So, stock Bronco pan then? If so, just keep it at 6qts.

But just for discussion, there is nothing unsafe about using a little less oil. My engine ran fine with 70psi of oil pressure on less than 2qts(!) and had been running that low for nobody knew how long when I bought it.
We added 5qts right in the PO's driveway and it just registered about half a quart low still. Would not want to make a habit out of that! But hey, it worked and the engine lasted a long time.

The added quart for 4wd trucks was a bit of safety factor for "working" vehicles that might not be as well maintained, might find themselves at odd angles for extended periods, and might just be used under more harsh conditions than other vehicles. But running around even a quart low is not going to cause you trouble on the street.
If you don't have a high-volume pump, you should be safe even at regularly scheduled high rpm blasts too I would think.

I’ve been running K&N oil filters and I’m not sure what their capacity is.
It sure doesn’t seem like 1 quart.

The K&N filters I'm familiar with do use the larger case size, but I agree they don't look like full quart sizes. Very likely Ford was just using the filter AND the extra oil still up in the engine galleries and passages as being the full quart. Doubtful that full quart fits into the filter all by itself.

I suppose I could just revert back to a more stock option on the oil filter and go with 6 quarts.

If you like the K&N filters, just compare one to a regular supplier version sometime and see how they compare. I bet they're close enough to the same size that you won't be able to justify a different one just to potentially be more correct.

Paul

Readhead

I would do as the others say with the amount but do your self a favor drain the oil change the filter then start it up , let it settle check the oil , mark your dip stick , that will be the low level , add the extra quart wait till the oil settles again and then mark your full level

OP
OP
D

Dandesjar

Great info - thanks. Yeah, I realized I called it a 5 litre after I made my initial post... it’s a Canadian thing. I meant the stock 302 pan which I knew was 5 qts. The previous owner rebuilt the engine and made it a 347 Stroker but I’m pretty sure this is still the original pan.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I'm running a car pan from a 5.0. It takes only 5 quarts. If I put 6 in, the oil pressure starts to fluctuate at higher rpms. I put 5 quarts in with a filter, run it, let it settle, then mark your new dipstick for full. I measured another for the "add a quart" mark.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My Duff 351W pan is technically a stock oem Crown Vic 351W pan.
With the filter my dip stick reads full at 5.5 quarts.
6 quarts puts it a smidge over.
I do have a high volume oil pump and it is slightly larger than the stock style pump. Since it takes up more space I have less room for oil so that could be part of it.

Duff Windsor conversion pan and Duff dipstick circa 1991.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My Duff 351W pan is technically a stock oem Crown Vic 351W pan. With the filter my dip stick reads full at 5.5 quarts.
6 quarts puts it a smidge over.

Same as my original OE '71 engine. Half a quart over at 6.

Paul

OP
OP
D

Dandesjar

Okay, next question... my pan is absolutely glued onto the block with RTV. I’ve tried knocking it with a rubber mallet with no luck. I don’t really want to pry on it too hard or use anything on the seam that might damage the mating surface. Anyone have any good tricks for getting it off?

Been working on it for over an hour and haven’t even managed to loosened it up at all.
Yes... all the bolts are out.

OP
OP
D

Dandesjar

Haha - yup. I’ve been staring at this thing for an hour. Believe me- there’s nothing but RTV and a cork gasket holding it on.

I can literally hang from the dipstick tube with all my weight and it won’t even budge.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unless someone else has a from-direct-experience suggestion I would say start from the center of the pan if you're going to have to go at it with any prying methods.
This not only starts at the theoretically most flexible point (though they're pretty darn rigid for sheet metal!) it's also well away from the delicate aluminum front timing cover.

For that latter reason I almost suggested all the way back and the bell housing/transmission end. But seems like the center would be the most likely to give?

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and someone else just ran through this last week if I remember. See if you can find a thread about it. Sorry I don't remember the member or the subject.

Paul