• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 T-Case shift pattern discrepancy???

mauibronco

hey guys...

wild horses t case shift knob is:

4L
2L
N
2H
4H

and Toms knob is:

4L
N
2H
4H

i noticed the stock shifter housing does not show the 2L either....i am totally confused???? can someone please explain to me which is right and what im missing??

mahalo!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
It's only going to be found in a T shift of course, and I've never tried to find or if it's even possible to find 2L on a stock 67-72 T shift handle. On the 66' which is just the stick and knob, it's easy to find 2L, also seems like I remember in the literature somewhere not to use it iirc.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The stock T-shift has 2LO. It is a false detent that is skipped over between N and 4LO.

If you go by feel and not the shift indicator there are 5 positions on the T-shift. 2LO is a halfway into or halfway out of 4LO. All T-shift cases are this way. Ford quit advertising it after '66 (probably some warranty claim issues)

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I used 2 lo frequently with my factory t shift Indicator. Now With my twin sticks it's easy to find 2 Lo

OP
OP
M

mauibronco

okay thanks a lot guys for all your input....i think maybe i kinda possibly understand now...lol

seriously though...mahalo guys!!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They're just saying that the actual position is viable there in the transfer case, but that Ford "left it out" of the detent lock-plate so that people would generally not use it.
The reasoning is that in low range there is a lot of torque multiplication after the transfer case, heading out to the axles. Spreading it out into both front and rear differentials is safer for things like the u-joints, than is putting it all into just the rear shaft.

It's still there, it's just not an "official" Ford shift position after '66.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
It's only going to be found in a T shift of course, and I've never tried to find or if it's even possible to find 2L on a stock 67-72 T shift handle. On the 66' which is just the stick and knob, it's easy to find 2L, also seems like I remember in the literature somewhere not to use it iirc.

Confused me back in the day as well when just starting to read up some

OP
OP
M

mauibronco

okay good sprdv1...thanks for making me feel better...im glad i wasn't the only one :)

thanks for chiming in DirtDonk...you've explained it in such a way that made my small brain understand..

as always, big mahalo to all you guys for helping me out!!!

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
I use 2L all the time in the 69. During hunting season on logging roads I can leave the hubs locked and only use 4 wheel drive when I need to. The only issue is that sometimes it can jump into neutral on a steep incline because there is no detent for 2L.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
okay good sprdv1...thanks for making me feel better...im glad i wasn't the only one :)

thanks for chiming in DirtDonk...you've explained it in such a way that made my small brain understand..

as always, big mahalo to all you guys for helping me out!!!

Maholo to you as well. Never too old to learn something right

Not much street driving so most times 4L was about all it saw. ;D

Deano

Bronco Guru
I would use it all the time I just took a file and added a notch so it would stay in it and not go to neutral on its own and you can get the bronco rolling and shift the transfer case into 2h if you needed a lower gear on a steep incline with a 3 on the tree with bigger tires