• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which would you keep

brokehorse

So I have two Broncos that both need work. I need to sell one to help pay for some equipment for a new wood shop. Which would you keep?
First is a 1966 U13 uncut with a lot of original parts. It has the inline 6 and usual rust.
My second is a 74 with 3 1/2” lift, 4:11 gears, rear posi, a lot of rust and cut already. Disc brake conversion installed.
You can only keep one, pick which!

AC932

Contributor
If you're planning on restoring it, I'd keep the 66. If you wanna mod it up, I'd keep the 74.

I'd pick the 66

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The answer might start with more questions.....

What type of driving do you plan to do? Wheel it, mostly paved roads - mix of highway and local roads? ‘66 roadster is more rare, but are you OK with the 6 cyl fair weather ride? Sounds like you could replace the ‘74 relatively easier if/when ready. Any sentimental attachment to either?

Which could you get on the road first to stay involved and motivated in the process?

I’d keep the ‘66 now and build another when that shop is finished.

OP
OP
B

brokehorse

Well, I just turned 61 so I doubt I will do much off road. Just a driver to enjoy in the mountains most likely. I would not modify the 66, mostly original if I kept it. It’s a hard decision.

OP
OP
B

brokehorse

All good questions and to be honest, I was planning to build the 74 as a roadster and use it in good weather. I of course have an attachment to both. They both need a good bit of work to get on the road but the 74 has some work done.

What type of driving do you plan to do? Wheel it, mostly paved roads - mix of highway and local roads? ‘66 roadster is more rare, but are you OK with the 6 cyl fair weather ride? Sounds like you could replace the ‘74 relatively easier if/when ready. Any sentimental attachment to either?

Which could you get on the road first to stay involved and motivated in the process?

Cooper

Loc.
Northeast

... Sounds like you could replace the ‘74 relatively easier if/when ready. Any sentimental attachment to either?

This sums up your situation nicely. You can only have original once and your '66 is the very start; it will be much more difficult to replace; probably more expensive too. Your '74, or any other modified bronco, will be easier to replace should you want to at a later date. There are just a lot more of them. Picture yourself 1 or 2 years from now, if you are in a position to reverse sellers remorse, which bronco can you re-acquire and better work on in your new shop. The mods you list on the '74 are among the easier and common to do. You also say you are 61 and less likely to do much off-roading. If it were me (and it's not !!!), I'd keep the '66 get it running and cruising, keep it mostly original doing what is necessary to get it running safely, and not be tempted with endless modifications. Then indulge in the pleasure of using it :). We only have so many years on this earth and only so many bites at the apple regarding the builds we can do.

OP
OP
B

brokehorse

I'm thinking the same way now, even though I have more into the 74, The 66 will always have a better value if I choose later to get rid of it.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
keep the 1974 better front axle and power steering and a v-8 everything a much better set-up for a driver.

you said you need the money so sell the 66 much more demand much harder to keep period correct if missing any original parts. should be better return on investment at this period of time. prices more likely to drop soon so unload it. a stock 66 is a suckey driver compared to a 1974. 1974 is still smog inspection exempt in most places so a much better platform for you to work with. with a 74 no one is going to chide you for chopping up an original.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No contest. I'd keep the original 66.

Better yet, where are you? I'll come get the 66.

elan

Loc.
s
Many of the folks here like horsepower. I couldn't care less. Having driven 1966 Fords with sixes when new, I reckon I'm just used to them. And, I have a preference to the first three years of Broncos anyway.

People pay stupid money for these things no matter what year. Lets have a picture of that '66. I have an open space here in SoCal where it's popcorn dry. But, in order to post you need to spend $12.00 to join.

OP
OP
B

brokehorse

Yep, I’ve been here for several years but haven’t spend my $12 recently. Plan to ao I can post photos. Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate everyone’s views.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also love my 6's, but simple if you mod, 70's truck, if you keep 66, keep it stock.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yep, I’ve been here for several years but haven’t spend my $12 recently. Plan to ao I can post photos. Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate everyone’s views.

you just have to do what makes you happy...

def worth the contributor status and keeping the site alive :)

OP
OP
B

brokehorse

Keeping both would make me happy but I gotta be realistic. I've had both 15 years and have never found time to work on them. Life and responsibilities get in the way.
I'll sell the one I decide to let go.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Keeping both would make me happy but I gotta be realistic. I've had both 15 years and have never found time to work on them. Life and responsibilities get in the way.
I'll sell the one I decide to let go.

lol, can completely understand that...

good luck w/the decision