• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The surprises keep rolling in...

akforsyth

Contributor
Got a chance to work on the Bronco a little bit more today. I managed to get the inner rocker as drivers floor board out rather quickly, and then I stopped, a little puzzled at what I was looking at. At first I thought the the previous owner had once again fabricated something to make the Bronco rival a Sherman tank (he was a machinist/welder by trade and figured that everything could be made stronger using steel), but then I started looking deeper. Now a little background, when I bought the Bronco I knew it had a NP435 tranny, but the PO thought it was a Dana 20 attached to it and installed by the PO to him. Well a quick look after seeing the homemade bracket and I was able to figure out that there was no Dana 20 hiding between the rails.... Looks like I scored a Np205 to sit in the corner of the shop! Good thing I have 2 Dana 20's currently residing there.

Attachments

• IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 259

chris-nc

Contributor
Bronco Apprentice
That's not terrible! I thought based on the title it was going to be something along the lines of what I found in mine Sunday evening - a defroster duct hose fashioned out of an old hand cleaner bottle and a roll of duct tape! %)

Attachments

• IMG_9251.jpeg
    IMG_9251.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_9252.jpeg
    IMG_9252.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_9253.jpeg
    IMG_9253.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
akforsyth

akforsyth

Contributor
Why swap out the 205 for a 20? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
This one is just a daily driver with a mild Explorer 302 and M5OD for cruising during the sunny weather...

The other one will be for racing, but it's going to have a C4 built behind the "302"

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you happen to notice the crack in your floor channel? Ford put a reinforcing plate in there and both that plate and the channel were cracked on mine. I suspect you will find both cracked on yours as well. Having the floor out makes it an easy repair.

Attachments

• akforsyth floor crossmember.jpg
    akforsyth floor crossmember.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Drivers side floor channel.JPG
    Drivers side floor channel.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Drivers floor channel, reinforcement removed.JPG
    Drivers floor channel, reinforcement removed.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
What'd He Say?(aledsander2020)

will get it deleted.. appears to be spam

from google / translate

Room-to-door packages - Ho Chi Minh City-to-Ho Chi Minh City's rates include "full price for children for free Free £'Æ ° free premium discount offers a wide range of free images I send a low-priced student to a living price for a small amount of money.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
leave the 205 or you might also have to replace driveshafts. if its only a street driver its going to just stay in high range anyway. is the frame notched for it?

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was the 205 solid mounted to the frame? That frame bracket appeared to be spaced off the top of the frame, maybe for a bushing, but I thought I'd make sure it was mentioned. If it's solid mounted, there's gonna be problems somewhere in the future.

wizard12

Leave the 205 for the M5OD

I would leave the 205 as well. It will bolt up directly to the M5OD. The D20 to M5OD requires an adapter from what I can remember of my research.

You may have to do 5 minutes of grinding on the inside of the M5OD where the retainer on the front of the 205 counter sinks into the M5OD. But that should be it.

OP
OP
akforsyth

akforsyth

Contributor
Did you happen to notice the crack in your floor channel? Ford put a reinforcing plate in there and both that plate and the channel were cracked on mine. I suspect you will find both cracked on yours as well. Having the floor out makes it an easy repair.

That was't much of a surprise! The floor was in such bad shape that I expected at least one of the crossmember to be toast. I figure since I am this far in I was going to replace all three anyway.

Was the 205 solid mounted to the frame? That frame bracket appeared to be spaced off the top of the frame, maybe for a bushing, but I thought I'd make sure it was mentioned. If it's solid mounted, there's gonna be problems somewhere in the future.

Yeah the bracket is bolted through the frame and is then bolted directly to the 205! Going to have to look closely for stress fractures in that area, but not thinking there will be many as the truck was never really ran after the drivetrain was put in as it was in the middle of an engine rebuild.

I would leave the 205 as well. It will bolt up directly to the M5OD. The D20 to M5OD requires an adapter from what I can remember of my research.

You may have to do 5 minutes of grinding on the inside of the M5OD where the retainer on the front of the 205 counter sinks into the M5OD. But that should be it.

I actually have the AA kit for the ZF tranny which works for the M5OD as well. I have to admit that the more I think about it the more I am leaning toward keeping the 205, then I will have a spare 20 for the kids race truck...

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Meh, for a fair weather driver that mostly sees pavement I'd ditch the 205 in favor of something lighter that fits better. Bonus if it is also easier to shift.

Crawling on 40's with 500ci is whole different thing! And no way would it stay mounted like that!