• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yeller's Broncno Build: New Adventures!

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Come on up here Monday and test cold weather capability….supposed to get down to 20 that night. It does have a heater, right? ;)
Bwaahhhhahhahahaha 🤣have gear for that, but need something to do besides look at Nebraska’s prime farm land to drag it out🤣…. Although getting to meet you face to face would probably be worth it 😃

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Bwaahhhhahhahahaha 🤣have gear for that, but need something to do besides look at Nebraska’s prime farm land to drag it out🤣…. Although getting to meet you face to face would probably be worth it 😃
We’ve got the three for the price of one “experience“ going on this week. Drive a semi, grain cart, and combine and check those off your bucket list. And if you master those you get to try this.

Attachments

• 0314171721_Burst04.jpg
    0314171721_Burst04.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
We’ve got the three for the price of one “experience“ going on this week. Drive a semi, grain cart, and combine and check those off your bucket list. And if you master those you get to try this.
Done 2 out of the three, never ran a combine. As for that old harvester, would be cool too see that old simple mechanical tech but I’m not man enough to run it 😂

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Buckets of rain, something we don't get here. :)

I do have a camping in a tent story and waking up with standing water in it! lol. Most tenters probably do!!

Can't wait to hear how it works out!
Oh, yeah. Calico Mountains, CA. SoKA brethen will recognize the location: Mule Canyon. After that I decreed that all future vehicles would have enough room inside them to comfortably sleep in them.

Never got to drive a Combine, but I've sure worked on a few of them. Balers too. Did get to drive a poppin' Johnnie pulling a rake around. That was fun until the sunburn set in....

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Done 2 out of the three, never ran a combine. As for that old harvester, would be cool too see that old simple mechanical tech but I’m not man enough to run it 😂
Well…real close then.

Yup…I believe this pic is my grandfather on a JD B with the mounted picker. He and dad like me were slender and hard to tell apart in old pics. I did drive a B a bit as a kid and they were definitely Armstrong steering. With a mounted picker you would get a workout. I wasn’t old enough to ever do that, just have memories of riding in the wagon behind a 630 with a picker sheller. No danger of getting buried with the amount of grain that came out of them! LOL. Stil do have the running gear from a couple wagons and a steel and aluminum box sitting out in the trees. Side note: The red box you can see on the right fender is likely a radio. I remember having one on the 630 that I actually did start out driving as a kid.

Last edited:

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Oh, yeah. Calico Mountains, CA. SoKA brethen will recognize the location: Mule Canyon. After that I decreed that all future vehicles would have enough room inside them to comfortably sleep in them.

Never got to drive a Combine, but I've sure worked on a few of them. Balers too. Did get to drive a poppin' Johnnie pulling a rake around. That was fun until the sunburn set in....
I once slept in the Bronco on the back seat with my head under the rear kicker bar. At 6‘ 3” it wasn’t a fun night. Was gonna sleep on the tramp of the Hobie 16 but thunderstorms with lightning popped up and with the mast still up wouldn’t have been a good idea. o_O

Ya really need ear protection on those big two cylinders. Kinda hard on ears, especially under heavy loads. Long sleeves and big straw hats were popular for a reason. :)

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
What?

LOL.....

When I had my '68 EB the plan was to fold the pass front fwd, and have a marine canvas place make a snap-in enclosure for the open tail gate and hatch. College forced the sale of that truck, so it never came to pass. Sleeping in the Bronc-up's bed would be fairly simple and sleeping in the rear of the FSB works well with the back seat removed.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Come on up here Monday and test cold weather capability….supposed to get down to 20 that night. It does have a heater, right? ;)

Brrr I need a damn heater upgrade before I do that.. lol

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I once slept in the Bronco on the back seat with my head under the rear kicker bar. At 6‘ 3” it wasn’t a fun night. Was gonna sleep on the tramp of the Hobie 16 but thunderstorms with lightning popped up and with the mast still up wouldn’t have been a good idea. o_O

That don't sound like no fun lol

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have some planned upgrades. This will be slow and may not be done for some time, hopefully before next summer. Picked up some door shells. I’ve been wanting doors for a long time. Was lucky and in the right place at the right time, found some shells and a grill. Don’t really need a grill but do have a propensity of bending sheet metal lol. Doors will need a lot of work. Filling the exterior door handle holes and window channel. Stout22 is helping me with door hinges and hopefully some latches. Have to make up my mind on interior handles, really thinking 66/67 interior handles will make easy reaching over and opening. Also Need to cut almost 2” off the bottom of them to fit the modified door opening size.

Attachments

• D3C474CC-2BF8-44BF-91F0-094D67F3FD09.jpeg
    D3C474CC-2BF8-44BF-91F0-094D67F3FD09.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 30
  • C58D020F-C81E-4C36-85EA-D1550241DF4F.jpeg
    C58D020F-C81E-4C36-85EA-D1550241DF4F.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I had the opportunity today to put the bronco on some race scales. First vehicle I’ve ever been around that 10 years later is lighter. Not a lot lighter right at 100#, but lighter. It’s amazing how fast weight adds up. I really encourage everyone to weigh your truck, it probably weighs more than you think.

Attachments

• 8FA03FBD-6FE6-4063-9E5C-FF34C465155F.jpeg
    8FA03FBD-6FE6-4063-9E5C-FF34C465155F.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 21

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'm impressed!! That is an accomplishment!

Oh boy do I know how 46 yrs of ownership puts on WEIGHT! lol Personally I've done much better than my Bronco has, about 10 #'s but my Bronco in 46 yrs has gone from stock under 4,000# to 5350#.

I listed out all the weights once and I have probably added at at least 25 items that weigh 50# or more. Add up things like consoles, amps, empty tool boxes bolted to the floor, winch, rock skis, tire/wheel combos that weigh 125# each compared to under 50# and yeah.... middle age bulge!

Congrats Steve. I think I could cut out about 200# but that's about it for what I use it for. It's going to gain some more with DynaMat and heavy floor mats up front that won't blow out.

Little stuff like a 6r that weighs 213# compared to the stock RAN or RAT at about 70#. Atlas (115#)vrs D20 (80#).... like eating Christmas candy for the past 46 yrs!

BanditBronco

Pretty decent front to rear split their Yeller. For what it is, I think that is one of the reasons your rig tends to shine above similar rigs. Decently light, low, and balanced. Also, probably a little more unsprung weight than most Broncos.

We should really do a thread/raffle for a month where members post pics of their weights on scales (dump or rock yard would be fine) and we get a vendor to do a prize for lightest and heaviest. Would give people a really good widespread understanding of what this old iron actually weighs.

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I'm impressed!! That is an accomplishment!

Oh boy do I know how 46 yrs of ownership puts on WEIGHT! lol Personally I've done much better than my Bronco has, about 10 #'s but my Bronco in 46 yrs has gone from stock under 4,000# to 5350#.

I listed out all the weights once and I have probably added at at least 25 items that weigh 50# or more. Add up things like consoles, amps, empty tool boxes bolted to the floor, winch, rock skis, tire/wheel combos that weigh 125# each compared to under 50# and yeah.... middle age bulge!

Congrats Steve. I think I could cut out about 200# but that's about it for what I use it for. It's going to gain some more with DynaMat and heavy floor mats up front that won't blow out.

Little stuff like a 6r that weighs 213# compared to the stock RAN or RAT at about 70#. Atlas (115#)vrs D20 (80#).... like eating Christmas candy for the past 46 yrs!
There is so much truth in what you're saying. I could cut probably another 150# with some aluminum links and a revised skid plate but that is really about it. They just grow over time. mine lost weight with the aluminum block and atlas, but I've added a back seat, aluminum roof and roof rack.

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Pretty decent front to rear split their Yeller. For what it is, I think that is one of the reasons your rig tends to shine above similar rigs. Decently light, low, and balanced. Also, probably a little more unsprung weight than most Broncos.

We should really do a thread/raffle for a month where members post pics of their weights on scales (dump or rock yard would be fine) and we get a vendor to do a prize for lightest and heaviest. Would give people a really good widespread understanding of what this old iron actually weighs.
I'd love to do this, Maybe a few of us just need to start a thread.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
When I worked in the Vintage Touring & Racing shop my boss had the tools from a Teens era "Riding Mechanic"'s tool bag. In those days Indy cars had a mechanic that rode in/on the car during the race. These tools were amazing! Each had been very carefully profiled to have the least amount of metal needed to still do their job. Probably a hundred+ hours of careful drilling and grinding had gone into them. I recall one day in particular we were working on something weird (probably Whitworth) and none of the tools we had worked. He says "I know, I've got just the tool!" Goes over to that collection and pulls out a tool that looked like it was designed specifically for this job. Only time that I ever saw any of those tools get used. In a way that was kind of sad.

The tool bags alone in the Blanc-Oh are probably well over 250 lbs. They're race support tools, so short of grinding and drilling them I'm not sure how I can shed some of their weight, but I'd sure like to.

In my old dune buggy weigh was critical. I decided to work on it using only the tools in the tool box that I carried in it, and to start out with that being empty. As I needed a tool I added that specific tool only to the box. That made sure that I had only the tools that I needed. I will admit to having to borrow a few on a couple early runs because I hadn't yet needed those and they weren't in the box, but they got added when I got home.

BanditBronco

When I worked in the Vintage Touring & Racing shop my boss had the tools from a Teens era "Riding Mechanic"'s tool bag. In those days Indy cars had a mechanic that rode in/on the car during the race. These tools were amazing! Each had been very carefully profiled to have the least amount of metal needed to still do their job. Probably a hundred+ hours of careful drilling and grinding had gone into them. I recall one day in particular we were working on something weird (probably Whitworth) and none of the tools we had worked. He says "I know, I've got just the tool!" Goes over to that collection and pulls out a tool that looked like it was designed specifically for this job. Only time that I ever saw any of those tools get used. In a way that was kind of sad.

The tool bags alone in the Blanc-Oh are probably well over 250 lbs. They're race support tools, so short of grinding and drilling them I'm not sure how I can shed some of their weight, but I'd sure like to.

In my old dune buggy weigh was critical. I decided to work on it using only the tools in the tool box that I carried in it, and to start out with that being empty. As I needed a tool I added that specific tool only to the box. That made sure that I had only the tools that I needed. I will admit to having to borrow a few on a couple early runs because I hadn't yet needed those and they weren't in the box, but they got added when I got home.
I have friends that do something similar. They only work on their rigs with their tool bags that they carry, even while at home. That way they know only what they need is in them and they are more comfortable knowing what is where while out on the trail. Smart, but then what would I do with my nice fancy matco box?

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have friends that do something similar. They only work on their rigs with their tool bags that they carry, even while at home. That way they know only what they need is in them and they are more comfortable knowing what is where while out on the trail. Smart, but then what would I do with my nice fancy matco box?
I do that for a bit, for the same reasons, or at least compare with what I have out. been carrying the same bag for so long that I haven't even looked in it for several years. Going to though, I need to separate the "Rokit 00" tools out and put them in something separate, I don't need to carry them in the bronco, especially since Rokit 00 doesn't get housed at my house any longer, it is getting parked where it gets more love and a little more use, I just go get it when I want to drive like a drunk 2 year old LOL it was convenient when they rode together or separate and kept me from having 2 kits but that time has passed.

And no that’s not me driving lol. My best friend driving and Caleb Good riding shit gun

Attachments

• 2A57C66D-1A12-451A-80C2-C4F08183C01F.jpeg
    2A57C66D-1A12-451A-80C2-C4F08183C01F.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 38