• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Urgent Exhaust Advice Needed

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And make sure the muffler guy knows your displeasure at his misinformation and not being able to "read" his customer. And that now you have to pay someone else to fix his mistake.

Same thing 4-Wheel Parts guys do when selling truck accessories to a 50 year old. After all, you just gotta' have a lift so you can tow your boat to the lake, right?
"Yessir, you really do want the 6" lift instead of the 4" so you can fit the 35's instead of being stuck with the 33's and being unhappy."
And of course, who can forget the "Yessiree, you really need the 12" wide wheels for those 35's, because they improve traction and have that deep look you were asking about." Nothing at all about how "deep" looking wheels stick out past the fenders and make the steering on your IFS Chevy feel more vague. Or that larger tires with the wrong gearing make your truck a dog.
And for exhaust? "Yessir... You will love the 3 inch dual exhaust with Magnaflow 10" long round mufflers for that cool mellow sound."

Something along those lines anyway. To be fair, not all the stores were like that. Just most of them.
Maybe they're not that bad anymore? Yeah, and maybe someday that muffler guy will look up and listen when discussing needs with the customer. And acknowledge the fact that he likes louder exhaust sound than most, and that after years or working in a shop environment his hearing sucks anyway.
Maybe they'll try to make it right for you after all.

Good luck. Agree that the Delta-50's would have been better. Or Ultra-Flow stainless from Dynomax.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ok I was sold on the flowmaster 40s. Was told by the shop owner that they were not too loud. Big mistake. With the headers I bought at Wildhorses these mufflers are way too loud and obnoxious. Going to rip them out for something quieter ASAP. ��

lesson learned right.. Know better next time :)

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would suggest 2-into-1 exhaust with a Flowmaster Delta 50, Flowmaster Super 50 or a Gibson Superflow. My favorite being the Gibson Round Superflow. V8 sound with NO popping or feedback what so ever and the best fit.

The 3 listed above will be progressively quieter.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Go stand next to the new Shelby GT500, Plenty of power, not so much noise.

Mines not quiet........The new on comes with 3 exhaust settings......Turn of a dial and you get quiet to RACE LOUD ;D

Most all modern muscle cars have different sound options.

My vote is for Walker QuietFlows. I run one on my Samurai and will replace my "cherry bombs" with a Walker this winter

Tim

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Mines not quiet........The new on comes with 3 exhaust settings......Turn of a dial and you get quiet to RACE LOUD ;D

Most all modern muscle cars have different sound options.

My vote is for Walker QuietFlows. I run one on my Samurai and will replace my "cherry bombs" with a Walker this winter

Tim

Walker makes a Quiet Flow with dual in and dual out. I ran one on my '79 w/2-1/4 pipes. It's a good setup for someone who wants a single muffler but keep the true dual type of arrangement.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok I was sold on the flowmaster 40s. Was told by the shop owner that they were not too loud. Big mistake. With the headers I bought at Wildhorses these mufflers are way too loud and obnoxious. Going to rip them out for something quieter ASAP. ��

my advice is next time you ask the forum a question listen to their advice, best group of guys on the internet. they will not steer you wrong. don't take this the wrong way, it is not meant like that.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
We have the whole spectrum of stock to super wild. It takes something really off the wall for us to tell you that you need to seek advise from somewhere else.

Very often when someone asks for advise the first thing I do is ask more questions. Often a LOT of questions. Often asking the right question will make the problem really obvious.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Everybody's taste in db level and tone is different too!

Wonder if the OP will ever show up again on this thread??

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
my advice is next time you ask the forum a question listen to their advice, best group of guys on the internet. they will not steer you wrong. don't take this the wrong way, it is not meant like that.

ask me how i know about the above statement lol.

OP
OP
Jiujitsu Bronco

Jiujitsu Bronco

Update:
The shop agreed to change out the flowmaster 40’s for turbo mufflers at no cost. Truck sounds great now. Yes the advice here is better than some shops opinion on what I should buy...

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Thanks guys for the help. I went with the flow master 40s as they fit nicely. Opted for the 2 1/4 inch pipes instead of larger ones as they supposedly perform better at lower rpms. Picking the Bronco up now. Will let you know how it turns out.

If you find it too harsh, you can soften up the bark by adding an "H" pipe ahead of the mufflers. You could even gain some performance as well.
I did that to mine with the Magnaflows. I had the shop put a flange in the "H" pipe so the exhaust could be separated to remove the tranny. I have a steel block off plate I can slide into the flange for the times I want to separate the sides and make more noise. There really is quite a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
JJBronco
... really, we're all glad you like what youvegot now!

Enjoy your ride!!

Hazegray

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I would recommend anyone contemplating exhaust work should pass on their expectations to the shop of what their vehicle should sound like, not what sells the most. I too have the basic turbo mufflers and prefer that sound over the latest "fart traps"...but again, that's my preference in sound.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I would recommend anyone contemplating exhaust work should pass on their expectations to the shop of what their vehicle should sound like, not what sells the most. I too have the basic turbo mufflers and prefer that sound over the latest "fart traps"...but again, that's my preference in sound.

this is good advice. i shopped around a lot before i decided who / what to use. some shops threw out a price without even looking at it. others only wanted to install their in house / standard stuff. the guy i went to crawled under the bronco and looked around. he and i laid there throwing around options for over a half hour. it was clear who was interested in what i wanted versus what they wanted to install. when it came time to install, he had to push me out a day because his welding gas supplier had not delivered the right gas to weld with his stainless wire. in the end im very happy with the result and did not really overpay. Flowmaster 50, 2 in, two out

Hank