• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Real beadlocks...

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Not DOT approved but do you drive it on the highway?

why not legal? just asking...

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've driven with them quite a lot over the years in many western states with no issues as far as law enforcement goes. There's actually been some debate on weather they are actually illegal or not but I think the main point is that the bolts can come loose and cause issues I'm guessing.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'd heard they weren't dot approved due to lack of balancing. Thanks to all the fake beadlocks out there how's a cop to know. I thought some of the newer beadlocks were actually dot approved.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I run the Hutchinson rock monsters, and they are DOT approved.

The question of legality is far too simple. The question should never be:
"Are they street legal?" or "Does anyone enforce this?"

Aftermarket bead locks are not DOT approved. This means that if they fail, and they are found to contribute to a civil or criminal responsibility..then YOU have a higher level of liability, and it is easier to prove that you are negligent.

Look at it this way. You can replace your steering linkage with electrical conduit. Is it legal? Is it enforced?

The better question is: "Is it stupid?" and "Can you afford it?"

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I drive my Walker-Evans beadlocks on the street. Never had an issue with -getting pulled over or balancing. Mine are balanced with air soft pellets. Any cop who is familiar with beadlocks enough to tell the real from the fake is probably an off-road enthusiast and would probably not go after you.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I run the Hutchinson rock monsters, and they are DOT approved.

The question of legality is far too simple. The question should never be:
"Are they street legal?" or "Does anyone enforce this?"

Aftermarket bead locks are not DOT approved. This means that if they fail, and they are found to contribute to a civil or criminal responsibility..then YOU have a higher level of liability, and it is easier to prove that you are negligent.

Look at it this way. You can replace your steering linkage with electrical conduit. Is it legal? Is it enforced?

The better question is: "Is it stupid?" and "Can you afford it?"

^^^Wise..........

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
With all the aftermarket parts, all the modifications done by previous owners, yourself, the aftermarket steering box that isn't DOT approved for your Bronco, the T-bird calipers that aren't stock on a Bronco, the braided brake lines instead of hardlines, the aftermarket springs, shocks, strg upgrades, etc, etc ...

I've run beadlocks for close to 20 yrs, no issues for balancing. I've driven thousands of miles/month for decades. No issues. Cruise at 70+ for hours at a time- literally.

Hutchinson beadlocks are heavy. Tough but heavy...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Many of the cheap off-shore sourced wheels don't pass anything. Even if they have markings.

Back in the 60's when you bought wheel blanks, took the centers out of your steel wheels and welded them into the wide blanks you bought out of a magazine, do you think that has any approvals?

DOT replaced ICC. If you thinks of what ICC was about, it might make a little more sense. Interstate Commerce Commission. Regulating commercial traffic between states. It's about commercial traffic. Production vehicles as built by a manufacturer, are often used by businesses. The federal regulations on how safe new cars are built isn't even DOT, it is the FMVSS regs. It is a pretty heafty book covering a ton of safety specs. From braking, and brake system failures and still being able to stop. To window defrost performance.

For private use, most anything goes. Think of all the axle swaps, modified suspensions, etc. Running tires way larger on trucks way heavier than the brake package was ever engineered for. None of this stuff would ever pass any OEM testing, but is run on the street all the time.

Beadlocks unsafe? I've seen more issues with 3-piece wheels separating into 2-piece wheels. The centers unbolting from the rim. Do you ever hear anything about those wheels being illegal? Hint: they are not.

For years there was someone who had a bounty on someone why could actually prove beadlocks were illegal. Never heard of anyone claiming it. Just the urban legend.

Split rims scare me way more. Those are still legal. Just nobody will work on them nor will anyone accept the risk of making new ones. A few places will still work on them, but they are few and far between.

So a beadlock may not have a DOT stamp, where is it required to have a DOT marking on your wheel? There are the high end custom one off wheels churned out on a CNC mill, don't see those with any DOT markings. Nobody complains about them.

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
I run a set of champion beadlocks on the road. Just like any other aftermarket part you throw on your vehicle, it's up to you to check it and maintain your vehicle for usage.

bchesley

I drive my Method Bead locks on the street daily. I have antique tags so I don't get an inspection. Never an issue with the law or balancing. I actually don't have any balancing on them and my 37" MTRs roll true and no bounce. I rotate religiously too.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
As far as I’ve found urban myth. From everything I can find even in commifornia all that is required is a weight rating. All name brand headlocks I’ve found have a weight rating stamped on the back side. Driven tens of thousands of miles no issues, big thing is watch your air pressure, most limit to 30psi. Champion wheel used to have a really nice explanation on their site, not sure if they still do.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Its a "given" that you need to check the lock ring bolts.

You also need to check and see of the lock ring is "twisted" or not laying flat against the tire due to the sidewall being too thick to allow it.

Due some resesrch guys!!! Can't just bolt "cool" looking stuff on w/o understanding the ramifications of it.

They make nylon spacers which fit btw the ring and tire to make sure the fitment is correct.

Check your lock ring nuts. If they aren't sitting 100% flush with the ring you need the spacers!!!

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I drive my Walker-Evans beadlocks on the street. Never had an issue with -getting pulled over or balancing. Mine are balanced with air soft pellets. Any cop who is familiar with beadlocks enough to tell the real from the fake is probably an off-road enthusiast and would probably not go after you.

old azz MRW ones here... likely don't drive on the street as much as others though

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I saved this after it was posted by a respected member here numerus years ago - 2007. You never know when the opportunity to collect $500 might come about so saved for reference.

There is so much misinformation out there about this topic. First, the federal DOT doesn't "approve" any wheels. They put out standards that wheel manufacturers can choose to meet or not; those standards are not laws under which you can be ticketed. "DOT approved" wheels have been self-certified by the manufacturer that they meet the DOT's standards. There is NO law anywhere saying that you must run "DOT approved" wheels to be legal. Hence, they can't write you a ticket for them. So, why don't beadlock manufacturers choose to self-certifiy their wheels to DOT standards? Liability, liability, liability. Most of us who run beadlocks flog our rigs hard, and stuff breaks no matter what you do.

The bottom line is that DOT standards are not laws under which you can be ticketed. Unless there is a law that says wheels must be "DOT approved" to be legal (there isn't, but happy hunting) they are not illegal in any of the 50 states.

Scott, who owns Rockstomper, has had a standing offer on Pirate for several years now that he'll pay anyone $500 who can show him a law, or a valid ticket for running beadlocks. He hasn't had to pay it.