• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"The Racing Bronco" Restoration

bbolander

Fantastic story and pictures Brian. I am thrilled that Andrew hooked us up and we're going to be seeing your family and this legendary Bronco at Fab Fords!

Keep up the good work!!! Your Dad must be happy to see your family doing all this!

And you're going to be in great company. Probably the best collection of legendary Broncos ever is planned to be at Fab Fords this year:

Your Charley Erikson/LeRoy Page sand drag racer
Big Oly
Todd and Andrew's Larry Minor/Rod Hall/Jim Fricker Baja Racer that won it's class in the NORRA 1000 last year
Duff's Balloon Chase Ambulance
Duff's Pony Express
Terry's Duff Catalog Silver Fox

Parnelli Jones and Willie Stroppe will probably be there and they really like looking at the Broncos, so chances are your family will get a chance to meet and talk to them.

This will be one not to miss!

Bruce

Last edited:
OP
OP
My69Pony

My69Pony

For today’s addition, how about a few looks closer.

1 Old school fuel set-up that work without a problem for how many years now
2 Real old school scatter shield made out of ½” or 5/8” reinforced rubber
3 Transmission mount and driveline to divorced chain drive. In all the years Dad owned and raced the Bronco, this driveline is the only one to ever fail. Just a side note for all the D30 unbelievers, it is still alive and kicking even after years of 7000rpm launches
4 One to One chain drive, no reduction

More to Come

Attachments

• 100_6443.jpg
    100_6443.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 100_6456.jpg
    100_6456.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 100_6457.jpg
    100_6457.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_6458.jpg
    100_6458.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 219
OP
OP
My69Pony

My69Pony

A few more picture for tonight

1 Sand left over from so many different places
2 Traction aid at its finest
3 Frame and trailing arm cut outs to save weight
4 Rollbar to Frame tie-in
5 A few of the parts taken off during teardown

Brian

Attachments

• 100_6462.jpg
    100_6462.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_6464.jpg
    100_6464.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_6469.jpg
    100_6469.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_6472.jpg
    100_6472.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_0512.jpg
    100_0512.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 159

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Interesting that the frame tie-in piece for the cage is almost identical to the ones in the Stroppe racing Bronco that Andrew and I own.

Please keep the photos coming - this is good stuff!

Have you invited Charlie to come down to the show?

Todd Z.

OP
OP
My69Pony

My69Pony

My understanding is that Charlie had ties with Stroppe. In fact, as the story goes, Charlie was called by Mr. Stroppe when the first five Broncos arrive at the shop. Charlie went down to the shop and picked this one out. I would say the ties may run deep, can anybody confirm if?
Brian

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
My understanding is that Charlie had ties with Stroppe. In fact, as the story goes, Charlie was called by Mr. Stroppe when the first five Broncos arrive at the shop. Charlie went down to the shop and picked this one out. I would say the ties may run deep, can anybody confirm if?
Brian

That is the story he told me too (although I think he told me Stroppe got six Broncos).

Todd Z.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The number varies from 3-12 depending on who you ask. The cage itself is early Stroppe competition cage. I have some old Ads showing it was available as a rear bar 4pt, and a 6 pt. '67 season Stroppe racers had the cage as pictured. From '68 and up the cages evolved from that basic comp cage you have there.

OP
OP
My69Pony

My69Pony

Just a quick update. On Saturday the frame went for a steam clean and the body went to the body shop. Hopefully on Monday the body will go to the sandblaster and we will begin taking apart the frame. We have made a list of parts that need to be ordered, so most if not all the parts will be on their way this week.
No new picture of the build, so I found a few more years gone by pictures.
Picture 1: This look is what we are shooting for in the restoration.
Picture 2: Another picture of the Snow Rally; the take off at the bottom of the hill.
Picture 3: After the shelf that produced the wheel stand, you can see the tire tracks from the previous climber
Picture 4: From flat towing to hauling, this was progress with a fun trip to Little Sierra 1974.
Picture 5: Easter 1975 preparing for a race.
Picture 6: Easter 1975 The Starting Line.
Picture 7: On our way to Little Sierra Sanddunes for a fun day, not sure what year, but a passenger seat has been added.

Enjoy,
Brian

Attachments

• 001 Racing Bronco.jpg
    001 Racing Bronco.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 005 Racing Bronco at Snow Rally.jpg
    005 Racing Bronco at Snow Rally.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 007 Racing Bronco at Snow Rally.jpg
    007 Racing Bronco at Snow Rally.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 1974 34.jpg
    1974 34.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 1975 20.jpg
    1975 20.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 1975 28.jpg
    1975 28.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 132
  • Not Labeled10.jpg
    Not Labeled10.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 144

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
That head and manifold setup is hot. Any info on it?

Who made it?
Modified stock head?
What carbs are in there?

Great build.

dead road

Loc.
Ridgefield WA
That head and manifold setup is hot. Any info on it?

Who made it?
Modified stock head?
What carbs are in there?

Great build.

The article that Todd Z scanned goes into the carbs, intake, and heads in pretty good detail. Custom built by Erickson. Looks like it would flow sweet, surely a heck of alot better than the old log intake. That intake is so cool someone should fab up some copies and sell them. Maybe the design is patented?

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Brian,

This thread is a great piece! Well documented through the years makes us live it through your story telling! Nice job. I was planning on FFF but will not be able to make it as I am in FL that week. And this year's line-up looks incredible! A fellow roadster owner has reminded me several times now and ask that I inquire about the vin. Of course, is it a roadster? U13FL.....? Is the vin visible on the frame for a picture? The time line, the body style and the ties to the early racing relationships with the legends involved used U13s for the modified racing broncos.

tim

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All the stories of the first 4-12 or however many Broncos were handed over to STroppe from Ford all reported that the trucks had no VINs, but from what I've discovered, some of the actual race trucks did have VINs, and as Tim wrote, they were U13s. I'm curious too. Of course, if the story is true that some were crash tested Broncos, then I'd imagine some frames were good and some were bad, so perhaps that was when a fresh Roadster was plucked from the lot for it's chassis....

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's a cool pin that shows the Erickson Bronco. I lost this pin about 10 years ago, and recently found it going through some stuff.
CharleyPin.jpg

OP
OP
My69Pony

My69Pony

Sorry it has been so long since my last post, been doing a lot of work. Updates will follow, but I will answer as best I can some of the questions.

1. The head is a one or two off piece, I believe Mr. Erickson built two engines at the time, one went in the Bronco and one was a spare. When Dad bought the Bronco he was offered the other engine, but declined, with much regret now.
2. The intake is something to be seen, I think it is one of the greatest features of the Bronco. It is indeed a piece of art.
3. According to the vin# the Bronco is a wagon, U15. It has all the holes for the top and still has the brackets for the hinges as well as the striker. The vin is stamped into the frame in two different spots, but I can’t remember what the vin actually is. I’ll have to get that to some of the vin gurus on the site and let them decipher it.
4. Andrew, that is a very cool pin. Dad came up with a 1971 Fairway Ford catalog the other day which has some pretty cool picture of the Bronco in it.
That’s it for this post, I’ve got some pictures I will try to post before the night is gone.

Brian

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Sorry it has been so long since my last post, been doing a lot of work. Updates will follow, but I will answer as best I can some of the questions.

1. The head is a one or two off piece, I believe Mr. Erickson built two engines at the time, one went in the Bronco and one was a spare. When Dad bought the Bronco he was offered the other engine, but declined, with much regret now.
2. The intake is something to be seen, I think it is one of the greatest features of the Bronco. It is indeed a piece of art.
3. According to the vin# the Bronco is a wagon, U15. It has all the holes for the top and still has the brackets for the hinges as well as the striker. The vin is stamped into the frame in two different spots, but I can’t remember what the vin actually is. I’ll have to get that to some of the vin gurus on the site and let them decipher it.
4. Andrew, that is a very cool pin. Dad came up with a 1971 Fairway Ford catalog the other day which has some pretty cool picture of the Bronco in it.
That’s it for this post, I’ve got some pictures I will try to post before the night is gone.

Brian

Brian:

That's very cool info that the truck has a VIN # on it since Charley claims this is one of the original crash test/engineering trucks that Stroppe received.

Can you bring that catalog along to FFF? We history geeks would love to see it!

And lastly, have you talked to Charley about coming down to the show?

Todd Z.