• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running the WH Tropical Breezer Bikini Top

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I tried the standard family cage bikini top and it didn't work out well. Ballooned up while traveling and eventually tore. Looking at the WH Tropical Breezer, but wanted some feedback before the purchase. Anyone used it? Got pictures?

Chuck

Toddpole

Contributor
Chuck,
This is what I have on my 72. I ran a vinyl bikini top for several yrs before I got this. I didn't realize how much heat the vinyl top trapped until I switched to the mesh. I went from a vinyl bikini to a full length family cage mesh top. The shade is great, it keeps light rain off and lets air through so it's cool. You'll love it.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Does it balloon up at all? Kind of looked goofy with this parachute above me while driving.

Toddpole

Contributor
Not that I've noticed. I always removed the bikini because I was afraid the ballooning would tear the straps out. I've hauled it with the mesh top a few hundred miles with no problem. It just kinda waves in the breeze but doesn't flap hard.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
you can make your own and custom size it and even add more straps or Velcro or snaps, or use gromits and them bungie balls like they have at harbor. A lot of guys use fabric from awnings.
Lots of colors...
http://www.lowes.com/Search=pfifer+...051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=pfifer+sun+screen#!
This is a popular one...#45067
http://www.lowes.com/pd_45067-55-3001975_0__?Ntt=45067&UserSearch=45067&productId=3033651&rpp=32

Like I always say....a "real" man can sew!

Being able to make it to fit your cage is a added bonus. And making it tight with some extra hold down along the sides sounds like what your after.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Yeah well, I bought that stuff from Lowes before and tried to make it work. I didn't like how it attached, so I took it back. If you're handy with a sewing machine, this would be a great route to go. I'm lazy and don't have that skill.

Thanks for the info Todd. I'm going to end up getting it.

bigjhoov

nobody
I had one made locally once at a place that makes tarps and such for landscapers to keep limbs and such inside their trailers. I hade it made to fit inside my cage and just held it on with the bumgees with the balls on them. Worked great.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Chief, if you're not in a super hurry, give us a call and see if you would rather have us do a custom size for you.
I'm not 100% sure we can do "anything you want" with that material, like we do with regular vinyl, but it's well worth a call to find out.
Just in case your cage or other appendages are a little different, it might make all the difference in how happy you are in the end.

And you could possibly add some additional strapping points(?) to keep the ballooning to a minimum.

Paul

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Cool...I may do that. Just installed the Titanium shorty headers. Look great, but will need new spark plug wires. Any recommendations for wires with these headers? Out for surgery next few weeks, so won't be able to fire her up for awhile.

Tram

Bronco Guru
you can make your own and custom size it and even add more straps or Velcro or snaps, or use gromits and them bungie balls like they have at harbor. A lot of guys use fabric from awnings.
Lots of colors...
http://www.lowes.com/Search=pfifer+...051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=pfifer+sun+screen#!
This is a popular one...#45067
http://www.lowes.com/pd_45067-55-3001975_0__?Ntt=45067&UserSearch=45067&productId=3033651&rpp=32

Like I always say....a "real" man can sew!

Being able to make it to fit your cage is a added bonus. And making it tight with some extra hold down along the sides sounds like what your after.

Any idea how hard this stuff is to sew? Will I destroy the wifes sewing machine on it?

Phil Munsterman

I have the WH one and it's great. Seems to strap on very tight and gives great shade and air flow. No movement that I have noticed on the hwy. Phil

jperry1290

When you drive on the highway does the airflow blow you away like there’s no top at all? Debating the breezer or the safari top, but I do mostly city driving. I don’t want the kids to freeze on cool nights

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
couple of ideas - if you are amibitious and want to make your own, Seattle Fabrics has the best material...https://www.seattlefabrics.com/54-PhiferTex-Plus-Mesh-1950-linear-yard_p_86.html you can take a gormmet machine and put in the grommets pretty fast and use those bungee ball thingies.

or, if you're not as amibitious, the head guy (Ron) at Mojo Shades has done a couple of EBs and just did a custom one for me based on the dimensions of my family roll cage. He can put just about anything you want silk screened onto the shade too...