• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

why a Bronco for you?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
was reading a nostalgic story over on Hemmings and they were talking about Grandparents cars and the effect it had on us growing up and what we remembered and why. Got me thinking....what made the Bronco the "one"?

I don't really remember anyone around us having one when I was a kid. I actually had one of the plastic Gay Bronco toys when I was real young, so I was aware of them but none of my neighbors had one, or really ever seeing one "downtown"....flash forward to high school and two of my classmates each had one. Gus had a '72 and Chuck had a '77. We would go out to the sand pits on the weekends and watch them both jump, race, wheel the crap out of those poor trucks (sure, they broke them) but they just kept coming back for more....Hence, I was in love. I was amazed at how tough yet cool those badass little rigs were! Been a lot of years ago when you look at the calendar, but thinking of those days take me right back to early teenage years. Sure, I have had many over the years and really can't get enough of them...I like to go and look at others and parts when ever I can, it's kind of a "high" for me....

So I ask you, what made you want the coolest off road vehicle ever made?

Attachments

• day1.jpg
    day1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The dad of my best friend through out school growing up had a 72' and a 74'. Both were used on the ranch, well maintained but were definitely used. Bryan started driving a few months before I did, and the 74' became his, and we went everywhere in that thing. We hunted, fished, trapped out of it. Dad found a good deal on a 71' for me, got my license, drove it for a few months and a girl in a brand new mustang pulled out in front of me on the high way and that was the end of the 71'. Found an 81' to replace it and drove it forever. Fast forward 25 years, a marriage, two kids and it was time for another 71', which led to the 66's as well lol.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I thought I was a Chevy guy before I got My first bronco. I had an Iroc z28 and my friend had a 74 Bronco. We were out in it one night and did some cross country wheeling. We went straight across a cut corn field and over a couple irrigation ditches to make our own shortcut back to the highway. I was sold immediately! A year later my friend got a VW and went to college. I bought that bronco from his dad and now I have it plus Two more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I cannot say there was a particular even that made me like them so much. Heck I had none around my house growing upon that I can remember. I grew up with bowties in the family and since we were so large a family my dads vehicle of choice was a Suburban. Always like 4x4's and wanted one forever. Back in the early 2000's I worked with someone who had a 74 (Roger) and I fell in love. Bought that one from him for some parts I had from a failed 78F150 restoration and been trucking ever since. Actually how I met tasker, trying to move the last of my project parts.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
it really is a small world Pete...thank goodness we did! As with many people I have met due to the Bronco...many I now consider life long friends.

bronco1017

The second vehicle I ever owned was a 72 Bronco. It was the only thing I could afford at the time. Sold it when my wife and I moved to Boston after getting married and I knew I would get another one some day. Sold the first one at 23 and got the second one at 50. When looking for my second Bronco a very wise man said "be patient and the right one will find you." Great advise Tasker. Thanks.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
it really is a small world Pete...thank goodness we did! As with many people I have met due to the Bronco...many I now consider life long friends.

Yes it is. I find it interesting that 10 some odd years later you are talking with the same Roger I got my start with.

Trappey74

Loc.
Cleveland
My dad had an old green EB when I was really young that he hunted out of. Don't know the year. Then he drove a 89 Eddie bauer edition for a while and a few years down the road my first vehicle was an 89 Eddie bauer from someone in town. Always remember that green EB and hve always thought they looked bada$$ and just have always wanted one. Now I'm trying to figure out when and how I can afford to get another one!

gbrew

Contributor
First 4x4

I live in Arkansas and we don't get a lot of snow. When I was 17(57 now) I wanted to go to my best friends house and there was a little snow and ice on the roads. My dad let me take the new toyota corolla that did a little better in those conditions than the other vehicles we had at the time but I didn't make it very far as we lived in the country and slid into the ditch. When I walked back home I called my friend and said I would have to call a wrecker to pull me out but he said his dad had bought a 4x4 and could get me out. Never having been around a 4x4 I didn't think that was possible nor could he make it over to my house with the road conditions what they were. When he showed up he was in a new Bronco probably a 76 and in just a bit I was out of the ditch. I was very impressed. About a year ago I had the opportunity to buy and bought a 77 and sent him pictures….he replied that brings back a lot of memories……Love it so far and really having a lot of fun doing a restomod. GB

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I originally wanted a flat fender Willys (CJ3A, CJ2A, M38), however being a musician dictated another direction. Think late '70's and early '80's and how big bass amps were then. I had a '78 Ford 2WD Pickup at the time and took it on many backroads, sometime getting stuck and hiking many miles out. I decided I wanted a smaller 4WD rig to help get me into the remote areas I was exploring.

I remember doing a gig in Reno NV and on a car lot was a CJ2A and a Bronco. So I stopped and asked if I could see how my bass gear would fit in each rig. I couldn't fit my gear in the back of the Willys, but I could fit it all in the Bronco. Couple of years later I bought my first Bronco (a 1966), and going to gigs was way more fun! I have taken my current Bronco wheeling and hauling music gear from Los Angeles to Nashville and all over the Northwest. I still have a soft spot for Flat Fenders and now that bass gear has shrunk in weight and size, I may pick up one someday to go with the Bronco. The picture shows the old school bass amp/cabinet on the left with the new modern rig in center. My music stills pays for Bronco parts, so there is a mutual benefit of Bass and Bronco.
IMG_2193.jpg

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Thats a cool story Warren! Please come back east sometime soon!

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I never grew up with them and don't ever recall knowing anyone that owned one either. I started off playing with cars from watching my brother doing tuneups and oil changes. A family friend that used to do odd jobs around the house bought the first "full size" in 78 and I used to ride around in it from time to time. I leaned my way towards loving the 60's Ford cars and owning a few of them along the way.

The first time I can recall seeing one or at least the first time It caught my eye, I instantly fell in love (I was 26). Funny thing I wound up purchasing it some time later. I drove it for 5 years, sat for the next 20+ and now trying to get my resto done.
Although I'm dying waiting to drive it again some day and the enjoyment I have with building it, It cannot compare to the friendships I've made, the comradery and the brotherhood that came with it and becoming a part of this great hobby. Can't thank all of you enough..

tmacstickman

I can still remember the day........I was all of 12 years old and was cutting thru the woods on my way to a friends house, I just got onto the sidewalk and there it was coming down the road, a 76 Ranger. Dark Blue Poly, lifted with the quarters cut and the white fiberglass flares.

My best sexual experience at the time!

I knew I would have one, but didnt know it would be until I was 38.

Better late than never, I guess.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
My folks had one when I was four back in 1973. Always into cars so when I started looking for a project in my late thirties I couldn't afford a mustang so I went Bronco for the off-roading capabilities living in Colorado. Now I wouldn't trade it for a Mustang. I wouldn't turn down a good deal on a '67 fastback but the EB is really something different than the mainstream muscle car. I've owned plenty of jeeps over the years but have to say there is something really satisfying sitting at a stoplight next to a jeep...you know they have Bronco envy. �� Plus - the Bronco folks really are good people.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
you guys make me smile....great stories and just what i expected

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
My Dad bought a 66 and never looked back. He had at least a doz. Bronco's. I grew up hunting and fishing with him in his Bronco's. When I got my DL he helped me get my first vehicle. You got it, a 71 Bronco! Loved them and bought and traded for them my whole life. Had at least a doz. myself. I restored a 76 and a 77 and then got out of them for about 10 years. My Dad passed away and I immediately told my wife I had to have another Bronco for the memories I had with Dad. Both my kids argue about who is getting my Bronco when I'm gone! LOL
Probably going to get another before long so they will both have one!

Edit: Got two now, so they should both be happy!

Last edited:

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
When I started high school I was really more interested in muscle cars and fox bodied Mustang's. I had a friend with a high hood Willy's, and another with an early Jimmy. I loved the maneuverability of the Willy's, and the cargo capacity of the Jimmy. I saw an article in one of the off road magazines featuring a yellow EB lifted with 35" x 18" Dick Cepek tires, and I knew immediately that's what I wanted! I bought mine in January 1990, and still have it. I did not go quite as extreme in the tire department though. I realized it wasn't practical in my circumstance, and went with 33x12.50's instead.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I have always been a Ford guy. I drove a 64 Falcon Sprint convertible with an 11:1 260 in high school. I loved it. It came with load leveler shocks on all 4 corners & it sat a little high. It ran mostly on the streets, but I also used to take it on washed out dirt roads for fun. Until I trashed & had to rebuild the front end at great expense to my young self. No more "offroading" for it.

I went out 4wheeling in a friend's jeep a few times & had a blast. Being a Ford guy, I thought about getting a Ford 4wd, but life moved on & jobs, raising kids, coaching, & all didn't leave much time for automotive interests. So projects got parked. Family & work vehicles were bought. My automotive working was reduced to keeping DDs running instead of playing much.

When the time came to get my son a vehicle, a full size 4wd seemed like a good fit. He's always been a good sized guy. And of course we were looking for a Ford, & got him a 90 Bronco. It was a great choice. And every time I drove his, I loved the feel of the short wheelbase. It kept telling me it wanted to go out & play.

Eventually I got a full size Bronco of my own. Now the kids were grown & I got back into things automotive. I played with it a lot. It was fun. I still have it.

After awhile, I wanted something smaller, lighter, & narrower. I realized an EB was similar in size & drivetrain to my beloved 64 Sprint that spent so much time in the dirt. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how much they had in common. An EB would be the perfect vehicle in my book. Fits like a small 60s Ford, great lines, familiar Windsor engine, open to the outdoors, stick, plus improvements like a factory 9" rear, full frame, & built to offroad. What more could you ask for?

I looked for one to build that had been roughed up enough that I didn't have to worry about damaging a pristine vehicle while taking it out to play. And, imho, Broncos look so good cut & wanted one already opened up.

I sold my 56 f100 project to make room & provide funds. I searched craigslist for months & in all the cities within 2 days driving time. I finally found one that fit the bill. About 500 miles away. I took a shot, hoping the guy wasn't a craigslist flake who would sell it or change the deal while I was on the way. We grabbed truck & trailer & hit the road. It was still there.

It was a 3 on the floor instead of the advertised 4 speed. And eventually found to be a 400 instead of the advertised 351m. Not the Windsor I thought my Bronco would have, but the distributor was still on the correct end. The interior was full of snow. We had to scoop it out for the test drive. It was beat up bad. It had been "rode hard & put away wet". But the price matched its condition & I wanted to build my own. I never said I was bright, but I am having a lot of fun with it. I should have bought one years ago when first enjoying playing offroad.

Last edited:

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I was a subscriber to Petersens 4WD and Off Road, or something close to that. I had a 74 CJ5, thus my need for the magazine. Well, there were always several articles with early Broncos, and I loved those trucks. This was like 1986 thru about 1989. The love of the CJ5 faded, sold it for a 1984 Fullsize Blazer and went on my way. Always paid attention when I saw an early Bronco, but never went after buying one. Then in 2015, August, I lucked into my 1974 Bronco. CEO of the company I work for had one, I showed interest in it to our receptionist, word got back to him that I like his Bronco. He called me on a Saturday, asked me if I wanted to buy it. I said "hell no, I have no money for it". Well, he made me a screaming deal, I mean almost free! I couldn't say no! I flat out lucked into mine, and love that money pit that is a 1974 Ford Bronco.