• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mint 400 Movie plus Vintage Stroppe Pics

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
HI Guys,

No more scans... but, I'll post this picture even though it's not a Bronco (or Ford). I think there are some better shots of this... I'll post them when I come across them.

Take Care,

Jeff

Attachments

• PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 173

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is one cool thread!!..Thanks so much Jeff!.....and Todd!

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Hi Half Cab,

I felt like a failure as a husband and father yesterday. I shared a couple of the pics when my son stopped by. All I got from both my wife and my son when I told them about how great I thought the picture was with Parnelli was... "Who's that?" And we live in Indianapolis. %)%)%)

I've go a lot of sharing left to do.

Jeff

Thank you for sharing all of this!!! When I was in Indy a couple of years ago Oly was at the Indy Speedway museum! How cool,to show your son YOUR pics and then take him to see it in the flesh!!!???

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Still a classic brother.....

HI Guys,
No more scans... but, I'll post this picture even though it's not a Bronco (or Ford). I think there are some better shots of this... I'll post them when I come across them.

Take Care,

Jeff

Evolkid

These are pretty damn cool!!

While working at Sway-A-Way, I got the chance a couple of times to dig through boxes of old race photos and magazines. The owner raced off road in the late 60s up into the early 80's. Seemed to know everyone and had some great stories of pre-running/racing south of the border.

I always wanted to digitize the collection at the shop, but never had time. Crazy thing was we had about 5-10 boxes of stuff and the owner said he had 4 times as much at his house.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Right on Jeff, thanks again. And thanks Todd for the backstory on a lot of those.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Guys,

Here are a few pics from the '71 Mint 400 (according to the slide box). I will post more later from that set of slides.

I don't know whose Bronco is shown with the large tank in the bed.

The fourth slide is the bank bracket being fitted up. I'll post more of that setup later.

(These probably mean more to propane fans than to anyone else.)

Take Care,

Jeff

Attachments

• PICT0040.jpg
    PICT0040.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 200
  • PICT0041.jpg
    PICT0041.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 199
  • PICT0042.jpg
    PICT0042.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 206
  • PICT0043.jpg
    PICT0043.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 193

House

Minutia Militia
It looks like Bill in pic 3 showing the rig to Larry Minor.
Todd can confirm, but I think Bill rode with Larry in that race..?
I do see another Minor truck in pic two though... Maybe that was Wayne Minor?
I am just jabbering... Todd knows.
I love the pics and the thread. Thanks again!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It looks like Bill in pic 3 showing the rig to Larry Minor.
Todd can confirm, but I think Bill rode with Larry in that race..?
I do see another Minor truck in pic two though... Maybe that was Wayne Minor?
I am just jabbering... Todd knows.
I love the pics and the thread. Thanks again!

All I do is jabber too. Yes, I think that's Bill talking to Larry in pic 3. And I think that's Rod Hall in the background looking at something too.

I would have to look at reference materials to know where Bill was in that race but riding with Larry sounds right.

In pic 3 you can also see a corner of Flippo, the Bronco half cab too.

Rod was in the soon-to-be-called Barstow Bronco in this race - the Bronco he races to this day.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hi Everyone,

I received some of my Dad's photos and slides earlier this week. (That's where the balloon pics surfaced.)

I also received one film reel. I have only tried reading the first few frames of the film. The title is the Mint 400. If I were to guess, I believe it's probably from the 1971 race.

I don't have a projector. (I'm asking around; but, so far I haven't come across anyone who has one.) I thought about having it digitally converted; but, I'm only interested in spending the money if there's some good content focusing on the Stroppe entries. (I've also looked at used projectors on Ebay.)

I was just wondering if anyone has knowledge of films that were produced about the Mint around that time frame.

There are a few slides (around 100, give or take) that my Dad took in the late 60s and early 70s. It looks like some were at races and some were at Bill Stroppe's shop. I quickly eye-balled most of them the other night. They motivated me enough to buy an inexpensive slide viewer that saves images. I've only converted four of the slides. I'm attaching one of the four. I thought it was pretty cool. I hope you enjoy it.

Take Care,

Jeff

Back to this picture - I learned today that the gentleman on the right, who is peeling the backing off the blue plastic for the wind deflector channel on Big Oly is Joe Fukushima, who was Parnelli's chief mechanic on the King Cobra when he won the Times Grand Prix at Riverside in 1964.

Todd Z.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Back to this picture - I learned today that the gentleman on the right, who is peeling the backing off the blue plastic for the wind deflector channel on Big Oly is Joe Fukushima, who was Parnelli's chief mechanic on the King Cobra when he won the Times Grand Prix at Riverside in 1964.

Todd Z.

Man I was wondering who that was.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Todd and House,

I hope to meet you both someday. I really enjoy everything that you're sharing.

Thank you so much.

Jeff

House

Minutia Militia
Cool Todd, I had "Is that Joe Fukushima?" typed out in one of my responses
but deleted it. I don't remember hearing of him associated with Stroppe
before, but you or Andrew may have mentioned it? I did know that he was
Parnelli's main mechanic for the whole Vel's Parnelli Jones race effort too...
Makes sense to have him come over to Bill's and have him work on "Crazy Colt" (Big Oly) too!

Jeff, I hope we do meet some time. I sure do wish I was in your shoes
sitting in that racer on the trailer and walking around the Stroppe shop, etc.
Awesome stuff! hahaha

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All I do is jabber too. Yes, I think that's Bill talking to Larry in pic 3. And I think that's Rod Hall in the background looking at something too.

I would have to look at reference materials to know where Bill was in that race but riding with Larry sounds right.

In pic 3 you can also see a corner of Flippo, the Bronco half cab too.

Rod was in the soon-to-be-called Barstow Bronco in this race - the Bronco he races to this day.

Todd Z.

Actually, I would say During this race, Rod Hall was in "the Bronco he races THESE days." He raced that "Caesars Palace" Bronco only this one time we know of, 71 Mint 400, and then didn't get back in it until 2015? Meantime, it won the 500 with Gary Scaramella and Wayne Minor and a few races with Fuentes before being sold to Bob Jackson who named it the "Barstow Bronco".

Andrew

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Actually, I would say During this race, Rod Hall was in "the Bronco he races THESE days." He raced that "Caesars Palace" Bronco only this one time we know of, 71 Mint 400, and then didn't get back in it until 2015? Meantime, it won the 500 with Gary Scaramella and Wayne Minor and a few races with Fuentes before being sold to Bob Jackson who named it the "Barstow Bronco".

Andrew

That's a much better way of saying it!

Todd Z.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup, Larry and Bill were indeed in Pony for that race.

Attachments

• mint4001971pic222.jpg
    mint4001971pic222.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 126