• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Epoxy primer/Raptor liner

rjcruz27

How much primer should I get for my tub minus the top. I’m raptor lining the engine bay and inside the tub how much do you guys use to get it covered?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you priming the underside, inside, and exterior of the tub?

Or just the interior where the liner will be sprayed?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
When we shot mine with primer I bought a gallon. It was a little cheaper by the gallon. We used a little over half a gallon, shot the entire tub including underneath and all the body parts minus the top.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Bought a 4 liter kit and did the complete inside of my 87 Samuria ragtop. Had just a touch left over in the last bottle......

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_20180908_164524.jpg
    IMG_20180908_164524.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20180915_141404.jpg
    IMG_20180915_141404.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 83

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ideally I would buy a 1 quart kit which will make 2 quarts similar to the same color as your bed liner for the interior so incase you chip your bed liner it wont show.
I do 2 thicker coats to seal the rust after a degrease, light sand blast and then another degrease.

Then the tub exterior go with a quart epoxy kit similar to your paint color.

Don't just always go gray like I use to do as an amateur.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
How much primer should I get for my tub minus the top. I’m raptor lining the engine bay and inside the tub how much do you guys use to get it covered?

Be sure you get the primer that works with Raptor liner... without looking they recommended a self etching primer, I believe.

(Man, has it already been a year since I shot that stuff on my tub?)

destroyer000

i used omni epoxy on let it sit a day you have 24-72 hours before it needs to be scuffed and i did raptor right over it. no issues over a year later

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
raptor

It usually takes 4 bottles of raptor liner to do inside. You can usually do inside and bottom with 8 bottles. (4 to a kit). You may run over if you are doing engine compartment also.

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Buy the Upol epoxy primer. It's made compatible with their Raptor liner. shot my wheel wells with both products, turner out nice.

Bronco4x4

Epoxy Primer -
Body tub off frame took ~7/8 of 2 gallons of epoxy primer (inside/out and top/bottom including roll bar, engine compartment, and wheel wells. The tub was completely sand blasted. The primer needs to be direct over metal type.

Raptor Liner -
I sprayed the body tub underneath and sides with lower quarter panels off. This includes the front fender skirts, door posts, and wheel wells (no interior and no engine compartment). It took 7 liter bottles of Raptor liner. Only one good coat was applied with occasional touch up. I also added ceramic beads for insulation as mentioned in the other posts.

MidwestTexan

If you have bare metal, use epoxy primer. I think self etching will have too much acid. If you have a nice “foundation” of paint already, hit it with 150 and rock and roll! I
Super happy with the product. I did bottom, inside and engine bay. Took 10 liters.

2603db8d02359e6dcbb168c26401bd6c.jpg

3f9f10dddb67ebd27832242833693fcb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty

I looked at the videos linked from U-Pol's website.

They seem to show the 2K Raptor epoxy primer down on bare metal and then Raptor liner over it. U-Pol offers seam sealers, but I didn't notice any reference to it under the 2K (or over it?). Is there any need for sealer(s)?

Also, they offer varying VOC regulation-compliant mixtures. Does anyone here know if those different mixtures affect adhesion?

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am a little confused at which primer to use. One review said #8 etch primer and another said 2K epoxy primer and both reviews looked like they were happy with this as a base for the raptor liner. Th cost difference is big between the two.

Bronco4x4

Self etching primer is usually used for aluminum or white metal. Use epoxy primer made for direct on metal.