• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Changing from a Crawler to Speed Runner - Coyote Install

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Getting closer to having the roller done.

Attachments

• IMG_3178.jpg
    IMG_3178.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3179.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 93

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
By the time you upgrade and/or replace all of the wear parts in a D20 you're well on your way to an Atlas. Don't have to buy it with crazy low range gearing. I went with 3:1 on mine. Should I need more, which I highly doubt, I'll go with a doubler instead of changing the ratio. With a 130" WB that's an easy choice for me, a std WB might think differently.

Speed & HP favors bigger drive-line parts. I'd say 1330 min.

I agree ^^^^^ I'm also in the middle of a trans swap, and will drop my very very old D20 and put in an Atlas 3.8 or 4.3 and use 1330s...didn't think it made sense to drop $1k into a reconditioned D20 when one could have a modern atlas for $2,500....and you're set for a loooong time

landshark99

Bronco Guru
As ntsqd said it might be time to think about an atlas, but I upgraded all the gears in my D20 for about $1K (had a shop do it) and have been very satisfied. The D20 is a pretty bulletproof little t/c, and because it's short I get the extra travel (19" rear) because of the longer drive shaft length.
I would go 1350's with the torque that motor will put out.

I second the 1350 rear driveshaft without a doubt - HD output tail housing on the Dana20 would hold up pretty well and as Randy mentioned keep your drive train short.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Make your driveshaft the weak link and carry a spare. Easiest and cleanest park of the drivetrain to replace and usually the cheapest.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Honestly right now the D20 and driveshaft are going to stay stock right now just to get it running. Alot of other expensive things yet to get. I will decide what to upgrade this summer.

Got the chassis pretty much all together and plumbed. Hopefully put the body back on this weekend.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Though I understand it and why you might want it, I'm not a fan of the "Fuse" philosophy with regard to power-train parts.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Cut in new tube rock sliders this weekend and also mounted the body.

Attachments

• IMG_3208.jpg
    IMG_3208.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3206.jpg
    IMG_3206.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3207.jpg
    IMG_3207.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
It is a standard plate style tranny cooler. I just have it laying on top of the frame so I did not have to disconnect it. I will mount it in front of the radiator

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Here is the latest update.

Getting very close to starting this thing. To say it has gone over board is an understatement. I am using a Holley dual sync distributor with a top cap. I installed D585 LS coils for coil on plug.

I went with a Haltech 2000 ECU and harness. They also made the coil harness for me. I like the support from them and the options with the ECU. Also a local racer/tuner is a dealer and will be very helpful. Now I need to finish the harness install and exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG_3279.jpg
    IMG_3279.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3278.jpg
    IMG_3278.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 127

Montoya

Looks great! I need that throttle cable! Is that a Lokar? Do you know what length you went with?

Thanks and keep up the great work.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I used a Jegs branded 24" cable. I also used one from Wild Horses because of using ball studs on each end. If you dont use the Jegs aluminum throttle bracket I would suggest the one from Wild Horses.

Montoya

Good lookin out. You and I are like Bronco brothers. Big FI motors and plans to chuck our trucks over dunes till something breaks on them or we do. ;D

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Truck is out and running. It handles really nice on the road now and super smooth on rough trails on my land. SO much nicer at speed on bumps than before. Quite happy so far.

Best thing I did was to lower the truck as much as possible to keep the CG low. Rear sway bar also seemed to help quite a bit. Need some more seat time but like it so far.

Mufflers are way too loud so need to fix that.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now I see this motor is for sale. What are you going to build next?

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Not sure yet. Maybe Coyote, Maybe a different SBF. I seem to like building more than driving. This is alot of power. Maybe a 408 boosted or even smaller. Maybe just a real torque monster 408.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well keep us posted! Building is fun and creative. That's a great motor you built and a very fair price.