Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 01/16/20, 04:26 AM   #16
OX1
Bronco Guru

Jackson, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPB72 View Post
Not sure where the OP went ,but I read in his thread he wants to put a roller cam in a non roller early block..old iron heads????still think he should contact Ed Curtis..
Guess we all missed that. Does Ed do roller cam conversions?

70 Sport 302/T-18/D20-T, BB 31 spl LS 9" w/ yukons, MK VII rear disks, disk D44 w/ lockrite, 3.5" CAGE/Deaver lift, full length headers/duals, 78 col/steer box, stang HB
79 400/C6/205, Mog 404's, 43 SX stickies...
OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/20, 06:49 AM   #17
ksbronco75

Mojo Risin

Beattie, KS

My Gallery
Garage
I personally want to stay with the flat tappet cam and solid lifters but my brother is nervous since the timing is off and some new components (harmonic balancer, carb) are going on that we wont get the break in process correct and ruin the cam or a lifter. If i stay with a flat tappet cam what would be the best route to go in making sure i dont ruin the cam upon breaking it in??

If you build it, they will come
ksbronco75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/20, 04:04 PM   #18
nvrstuk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

20 gears forward...no reverse!

WA
Ed usually takes a day to respond a nd you are doing the right thing as he will ask you everything he needs to know to do what you want and safely... good luck

Strrroker powered...460 SBF cubes, dyno'd:597 HP, 710ft lbs, SEFI, EDIS, 20+ fwd gears...CB build:http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278607NWCBStroker/SEFI/EDIS/4r70W/KluneV/TrueHi9 build http://northwestclassicbroncos.com/s...n-to-SEFI-EDIS
nvrstuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/20, 06:28 AM   #19
bronkenn
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I believe you, thousands wouldn't

Southeast Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbronco75 View Post
I personally want to stay with the flat tappet cam and solid lifters but my brother is nervous since the timing is off and some new components (harmonic balancer, carb) are going on that we wont get the break in process correct and ruin the cam or a lifter. If i stay with a flat tappet cam what would be the best route to go in making sure i dont ruin the cam upon breaking it in??
When you start the break in process and the engine isn't running right, shut it down and do your adjustments. Just don't continue running the motor if you can't keep it at the proper RPM's. I broke mine in with a new Fitech and had some problems but shut down and adjusted and restarted the break in and it came out fine. Main thing is the motor needs to run continuously at the recommended RPM's but it won't hurt it if you do it in increments if you have to.
bronkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/20, 10:21 AM   #20
nvrstuk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

20 gears forward...no reverse!

WA
By not choosing a roller cam (unless its a monetary decision) your are choosing a significant decrease in potential throttle response, low end torque/hp and potential longevity of the cam...

Strrroker powered...460 SBF cubes, dyno'd:597 HP, 710ft lbs, SEFI, EDIS, 20+ fwd gears...CB build:http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278607NWCBStroker/SEFI/EDIS/4r70W/KluneV/TrueHi9 build http://northwestclassicbroncos.com/s...n-to-SEFI-EDIS
nvrstuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/20, 11:39 AM   #21
ksbronco75

Mojo Risin

Beattie, KS

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronkenn View Post
When you start the break in process and the engine isn't running right, shut it down and do your adjustments. Just don't continue running the motor if you can't keep it at the proper RPM's. I broke mine in with a new Fitech and had some problems but shut down and adjusted and restarted the break in and it came out fine. Main thing is the motor needs to run continuously at the recommended RPM's but it won't hurt it if you do it in increments if you have to.
this is something i was thinking about doing this time around. I did not break in the cam in this motor the first time. As for worrying about longevity and low throttle response, this bronco sees the road about a dozen times a year. she takes me to the gym and grocery shopping on nice days. other than that she just sits and looks pretty

If you build it, they will come
ksbronco75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/20, 05:54 PM   #22
Bruners4

68 5.0/4R70W swap

Lincoln, NE
Garage
Use a motor oil designed for new engine break-in with flat tappet camshafts. It is expensive but cheaper than having a lobe wiped off of a cam. The local performance engine builder keeps pallets of this stuff in stock. Link to some information.
https://blueprintengines.com/blogs/n...y-break-in-oil

'68 Bronco project
'96 Eddie Bauer - FSBI 2019
They call me Dave.
Bruners4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/20, 07:27 PM   #23
EPB72
Contributor

Pleasant Hill
My oil of choice is Valvoline vr1 ,,,joe gibbs driven racing oil as well ,all high in zinc and phosphorus ,,Valvoline easy to find locally,,

72,,69- 351w ,np 435...gm disk HB ,ps.3.5 lift 1 body.
EPB72 is online now   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech