• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Solenoid Clicking on 66 bronco

thomasgtracy

I have a 66 Bronco. The solenoid was clicking when I tried to start it. I tapped on the connections wiggle them and it worked. Then it stopped. Cleaned all the connections and tightened them on solenoid and battery. This didn't work. Replaced solenoid. I quickly checked it before putting all the tools away and it turned the starter and engine. Turned key off before engine fired up, put tools away, closed the hood and tried it again. Just the clicking (or really like a fast clicking and buzzing coming from the solenoid. I also used jumper cables to make sure the battery was not part of the problem. Any ideas?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Did you clean and tighten both ends of your negative battery cable? Sometimes the cables are loose or corroded inside the crimped connector at the engine block.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That clicking is the starter relay (solenoid) trying to pull all the way closed but having a hard time doing so. Almost always in my experience it's because of a weak battery, or poor connections. And I've seen a lot of jumper cables that are pretty worthless!

So, unless you are really sure they were good cables I'd still want to rule out the battery. If you live near an Advance Auto, Auto Zone, etc just take your battery up there and ask them to test it for you. If bad bring home a new one and you're good to go. If they say it's good, reinstall it and check every connection. Good luck and let us know!

Quick & Dirty

I just replaced a bad battery today. Had a dead cell, so it would quickly lose a recharge down to 10 volts. Wouldn't start the car even with a jump and charger booster on it. It's less than 3 years old, and had a 3 year replacement warranty, so I got a replacement for no charge. Batteries don't last like they used to.

Jfryjfry

I just had that happen, although it was on a fresh rebuild motor with a new (to me) c4 automatic trans and used starter that came with the trans. It was a battery that came with the truck that was new but from a used battery place. I’ve kept it on the charger for the two years I’ve been building it. All that to say:
Solenoid was good when last used, used starter that I’ve never heard or used, old battery that was fine 2 years ago, new wiring.

It started ok first time but didn’t crank fast and just sounded rough. Then it cranked a little slower the next time we tried and didn’t start. Then started clicking.

I went to Autozone and grabbed a mini starter that was factory on a 93 mustang gt (among many others). It fit the c4 fine. I had to run an extra wire and move the starter wire to the other side of the solenoid to get full power all the time. The new wire is the trigger. Super easy.

It cranks awesome now. And the sound the starter makes is amazing as well.

This replaced the starter and moved the heavy load from the original solenoid to the new one on the starter.

I did this because I wasn’t sure if it was a starter or solenoid or battery issue for me I was pretty sure it wasn’t battery as I used a small jump box and another battery in all possible combinations to move avail.