• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Overheating issue

junebug

Just swapped in a 98 explorer serpentine setup with a new aluminum radiator. The thermostat will not open correctly now. Its a 190 degree and at 215 is still closed and upper hose is cool to touch... it worked fine before what am I missing? Air in the system? Or just coincidence that it broke during the swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

junebug

Never mind purged it again.... it was air ...174 - 178 for the next ride.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good catch!
It's the small things sometimes...

Paul

OP
OP
J

junebug

Purged the air out of the system... bled it out again. Apparently had an air pocket somewhere.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What's your method junebug? Just open up a high point in, say a heater hose? Point the nose up on a steep drive (what I do), crack open a radiator hose?
None of the above?

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '95 Mustang V6 and all my Buick V6's have all had a bleeder valve at the top of the thermostat housing. That's not the high point in a Bronco, but being behind the thermostat might still have some function as a bleeder. Assuming you happen to have one in the manifold that is.
If you happen to have one of those in the t-stat cover a valve is outside the t-stat so might not have any value as a bleeder anyway.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My method is about 15 seconds at about 2500 RPM. That does a great job blowing the air bubbles out. Water pumps are a lot more effective as the RPM climbs.

OP
OP
J

junebug

Honestly I got lucky the second time. I let it idle until it puked... I was PO’ed. Let it sit for about 10-15 min to cool (and have a beer) so I could open the cap to refill but I felt upper hose and noticed that the Tstat had opened up. Apparently enough to syphon it over the hump of the high explorer hose. I filled it, cranked it, let it settle and filled again as it dropped. After about 10 min of straight 175 or so I closed it up and took it for a drive and it did great. After one cool off beer**** upon returning the next 3 were celebratory.