• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

67 Bronco Build

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
I will be getting ready to start work on the Bronco but I would like to get it running. Now I know the motor runs with a little creativeness but I want to put a new tank/sender in. There is nothing their right now. What else will I need to install a tank. Straps? Bolts etc? Anyone have any pictures?

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
you may need a new fuel line that runs along the inside of the driver side frame rail (alongside the brake line) depending on the condition of the one you have and your ability to clean it out....how long since it was run?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you have a tank, or are you going to buy a new one?
Any aftermarket "large" tank you buy should have everything you need. Even some stock types will have all the normal parts.
But if you have literally nothing in there now, including no mounting pads, you'll need those if you're staying with a stock tank.

Someone just posted pics of those the other day I think. Someone else also had a great shot of them on a frame only with no body in the way.
They're only needed for stock tanks though, as all the aftermarket ones have their own mounting scheme and even the strap types use their own strap and hardware.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
you may need a new fuel line that runs along the inside of the driver side frame rail (alongside the brake line) depending on the condition of the one you have and your ability to clean it out....how long since it was run?

yeah, probably should check it all...

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Someone just posted pics of those the other day I think. Someone else also had a great shot of them on a frame only with no body in the way.
Paul

My 66 has the body off with stock tank in place, let me know if you need specific pics RVZIO

OP
OP
R

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Do you have a tank, or are you going to buy a new one?
Any aftermarket "large" tank you buy should have everything you need. Even some stock types will have all the normal parts.
But if you have literally nothing in there now, including no mounting pads, you'll need those if you're staying with a stock tank.

They're only needed for stock tanks though, as all the aftermarket ones have their own mounting scheme and even the strap types use their own strap and hardware.

Paul

Paul I will take a look underneath and acess what it is I need. Hopfully over the weekend. Super hot here in Florida right know. I'll get back to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Took some picture of where I guess the gas tank goes. Still trying to figure it out. Nothing their except the hosees.

RVZIO

Attachments

• 20190720_135708.jpg
    20190720_135708.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 107
  • 20190720_135724.jpg
    20190720_135724.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 20190720_135735.jpg
    20190720_135735.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 98

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The hoses in pic #3 are for the front/side/auxiliary tank of about 7 gallons capacity. Most kits are going to have "almost" everything you need. But I don't think any of them will have the front anchor bracket that holds the straps in place.
Might be able to find them used, or perhaps new too and I have just not noticed them being reproduced.

Can't really tell by your other pics about the rear/main tank. It's roughly 10-13 gallons and sits between the frame rails, aft of the rear crossmeber and axle, and just up behind the rear bumper.
That section of frame, roughly a square, might have four curved mounting pads bolted to the frame.
Take another pic when you get the chance up in the area just in front of the rear bumper.

Paul

OP
OP
R

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
The hoses in pic #3 are for the front/side/auxiliary tank of about 7 gallons capacity. Most kits are going to have "almost" everything you need. But I don't think any of them will have the front anchor bracket that holds the straps in place.
Might be able to find them used, or perhaps new too and I have just not noticed them being reproduced.

Can't really tell by your other pics about the rear/main tank. It's roughly 10-13 gallons and sits between the frame rails, aft of the rear crossmeber and axle, and just up behind the rear bumper.
That section of frame, roughly a square, might have four curved mounting pads bolted to the frame.
Take another pic when you get the chance up in the area just in front of the rear bumper.

Paul

Will do Paul, I just assumed it would be where those hoses were, oops!

OP
OP
R

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Great, let me see if I can find your post and I will get back to you.

Awesome build with lots of pictures. I did see a glimpse in your early photos of the fuel line and a part of the tanl At least I can see where the main tank needs to be. Will take more pictures tomorrow.
Thank You

ZIO

OP
OP
R

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
I know once I get into this build stuff is going to pop up. It does with the C3 vettes all the time. Anyway one thing the bugs me a little is I see so many post and a lot of them show a v8 motor. Why do I have only a 6. I know I can change it out but were the 6's that unpopuler? Sucks, wish it had an 8. Oh well I'm done with my little hissy!

ZIO

OP
OP
R

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Okay, went out early and took a few more pictures hopefully in the right location. Right berfoe the rear bumper.

ZIO

Attachments

• 20190721_063101.jpg
    20190721_063101.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190721_063112.jpg
    20190721_063112.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190721_063054.jpg
    20190721_063054.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 76

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Awesome build with lots of pictures. I did see a glimpse in your early photos of the fuel line and a part of the tanl At least I can see where the main tank needs to be. Will take more pictures tomorrow.
Thank You

ZIO

Hey buddy no I was saying i have the chassis in my garage and can step out the door and take pics of whatever you need ;) -jeff

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
So here ya go

Pic #1 - so I also use the chassis to store parts (among other things %)) while awaiting the tub, local guy has had my tub for over 2 years...the price of my unwillingness to tackle body work, but he does great work and is relatively cheap. + i have another Bronco to play around in ;D

Pic #2 - This is where the rear tank will sit

Pic #3 - close-up of Pic 2, note the adjustable hook bolt on the end of the strap that supports the bottom of the tank. The other end of this strap will have a T shape and will go into a slotted hole in the opposite (passenger side) frame rail (I have a new strap in a box if you want a pic)

Pic #4 - in this pic I am holding the camera just above the tank and looking toward the front of the chassis, you'll see roughly how the fuel and brake lines run along the frame rail, you will need a set of 3 or 4?? clips that hold both lines together against the frame

NOTE in the last pic your rear shock mount may not be the same as mine, yours may be farther back, closer to the tank. Word on the street is this change was made shortly before the 67 model year.

Hope this helps! -jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
R

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
So here ya go

Pic #1 - so I also use the chassis to store parts (among other things %)) while awaiting the tub, local guy has had my tub for over 2 years...the price of my unwillingness to tackle body work, but he does great work and is relatively cheap. + i have another Bronco to play around in ;D

Pic #2 - This is where the rear tank will sit

Pic #3 - close-up of Pic 2, note the adjustable hook bolt on the end of the strap that supports the bottom of the tank. The other end of this strap will have a T shape and will go into a slotted hole in the opposite (passenger side) frame rail (I have a new strap in a box if you want a pic)

Pic #4 - in this pic I am holding the camera just above the tank and looking toward the front of the chassis, you'll see roughly how the fuel and brake lines run along the frame rail, you will need a set of 3 or 4?? clips that hold both lines together against the frame

NOTE in the last pic your rear shock mount may not be the same as mine, yours may be farther back, closer to the tank. Word on the street is this change was made shortly before the 67 model year.

Hope this helps! -jeff

Okay now I see whats going on. Thanks for the pictures Jeff. Going to go down and look for the spot on the frame you mentioned for the strap.

ZIO/ Roger

OP
OP
R

RVZIO

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Well it's been awhile since I was here but I was able to get under the bronco to see what I need to get a main gas tank installed. I see the 4 brackets with rubber on them but I don't see anywhere to strap the tank or how does it stay in.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The rear tank uses a flat metal strap with a funky end that locks into the outside of the frame on the passenger side and a J-bolt on the drivers side that supports about midway of the tank. I just took one out!

Your earlier pics of the front show a 5/8" (roughly) vent hose with the large fill hose beside it. The early Broncos, '67 included did not have a vented fill spout and would burp when filling. There may be a chance that your filling system is from a later EB or something else entirely. So, if you have the option, and want to run a front tank, pick one up from a newer version that had the vent hose so it fills easier.