• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

u bolts too short

broncoboy67

77 bronco rear end. new 1330 universal. standard (according to parts store)
u bolt kit to fasten to yoke (spicer 2-94-28x) are too short - they clear the yoke by about 1/2 thread. parts store claim there are no longer ubolts for the 1330 (1.062) universal. yoke is about .91 thick. anyone have a suggestion for the longer u bolts?

thank you

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are the old ones too trashed to use in a pinch? Probably rusty, but might still be salvageable if not too bad.
Or are they too short as well, being the same as the replacements?
From langester's link, sounds like yo might have an up-rated yoke.

Is the 1330 something custom? Broncos should have a 1310 series from the factory. Even '77's unless I missed a change.
First time I've heard of there being an issue with the stock bolts being too short, but that makes sense with the thick yokes available nowadays. We've sold quite a few, including what comes on Atlas transfer cases and heavy duty rear 9" setups. Never had someone mention the issue.
At least not that I remember, which these days doesn't mean it didn't happen. Too much input, memory full!%)

Guess I better measure a set before I get caught up in installing my new 3rd member!

Thanks for the link langester.

Paul

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm looking at a set I just got from wh. Spicer part #8587 for 1310 stock u-joints. And should you need u-bolts for the housing the 77s are bigger diameter than the other ebs.

OP
OP
B

broncoboy67

turns out the driveshaft is not right either... so i ordered a 1330 to 1310 universal, one end fits the driveshaft and the other end fits the yoke. good call donk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And should you need u-bolts for the housing the 77s are bigger diameter than the other ebs.

Actually they should all be 3.25" tube diameter. Only the center section was larger on the '77.

Paul

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Actually they should all be 3.25" tube diameter. Only the center section was larger on the '77.

Paul

Hmmmmmm. When I upgraded my springs on the 72(with a 77 rear end in it) to 11 packs. The u-bolts I ordered didnt fit around the housing. When I called the vendor they told me 77s were larger diameter and exchanged my u-bolts and all was good. Now reading this I measured the 77 housing I have on the bench and it looks like 3.25. I'll have to get under the 72 and measure that one.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
turns out the driveshaft is not right either... so i ordered a 1330 to 1310 universal, one end fits the driveshaft and the other end fits the yoke. good call donk

Glad to worked finally right.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmmmmm. When I upgraded my springs on the 72(with a 77 rear end in it) to 11 packs. The u-bolts I ordered didnt fit around the housing. When I called the vendor they told me 77s were larger diameter and exchanged my u-bolts and all was good. Now reading this I measured the 77 housing I have on the bench and it looks like 3.25. I'll have to get under the 72 and measure that one.

Let us know. I was always under the impression that 9" axles in cars got the 3" diameter tubes and trucks got the 3.25" tubes. All trucks, which presumably included the F100/F150's as well.
Maybe there were some that got the larger 3.5" tubes after all. Never seen one myself, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Maybe the heavy half ton trucks, or perhaps the big muscle cars?
Or maybe they sent you the smaller 3" bolts by mistake and then had to send you 3.25's in their place.
Or were you trying to use your originals at first?

Are you sure that the u-bolts that you had to order were larger diameter and not just longer? Using our springs you definitely need longer u-bolts.

No more "new" 3.25" centers though. The current crop of aftermarket housings are ALL 3" diameter because apparently nobody has ever made the truck version as it turns out. Guess they were all hot-rod companies to begin with and so only worked on the smaller tube version of the housing center.
All the housings with the larger axle tube size centers you were able to buy up to about two or three years ago had to be salvaged from junkyards.
Now that those are so few and far between, it's not worth their time to hunt them down. So everybody just uses the 3" now because they can buy those new from manufacturers.

Luckily, if you don't have 3" u-bolts, the existing 3.25" u-bolts fit these smaller tubes just fine usualy. As they're torqued down they conform enough to encompass the smaller axle tubes. Even the big-boy 5/8" ones it seems.

Definitely curious what you find.
Be nice if you had an old receipt with a part number!

Paul