Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 02/13/19, 02:57 PM   #1
UTbronco

Weber/Davis Counties
Bronco dies when hot - fuel injector?

We did an motor swap to 5.0 with mustang computer, and had EFI installed. I believe the fuel pump is installed outside of the tank. When we drive it for more than just a few minutes the fuel pump quits working and the engine just dies. After it dies, it won't start back up until it's cooled off for a long time (i.e. overnight). It's worse in hot weather. We've also replaced the fuel pump after it burned totally up, but the new one does the same thing.

Would moving the fuel pump to inside the tank help, or anyone have other ideas we should consider?
UTbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/19, 03:04 PM   #2
Timmy390
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Conway, AR
What kind of pump?
Where is it mounted? (outside the tank but where)

Have you verified you have power to the pump once it shuts off?

I run an E2000 mounted just above the stock tank and have no issues. I feel it gets just as hot here in AR as anywhere.....

Tim

74 Half Cab 351w 3 speed, SN95 Mustang EFI, 2 1/2 SL, 1 inch BL, 33's, 4.09/4.11's P/S (Delphi box), All Ford disc conversion, Factory bench seat
Coming Soon, Ford ZF or NV3550 and grafted rear quarters
Timmy390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/19, 06:14 PM   #3
needsmoarturbo

Syracuse Utah
Moving it to the tank would probably help, but I ran for a lung time with a e2000 pump mounted on the frame rail without issue unless trail climbing in extreme heat I did encounter vapor lock, but don't remember the exact configuration at the time.
Where is your pump mounted?
Which pump is it. I have found some pumps are just garbage compared to other of seemingly the same design. Other things to consider are fuel filters clogging, routing of fuel lines, and placement of pump. Most high pressure pumps are good at pushing not as good at pulling, so mounting near the tank is best.
needsmoarturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/19, 06:23 PM   #4
needsmoarturbo

Syracuse Utah
Another thing to check would be the tfi ignition module thing that is mounted to the distributor base. Those will crap out when hot.
needsmoarturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/19, 06:23 PM   #5
Timmy390
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Conway, AR
Also what type of EFI? return or returnless?

You can check to see if the injectors are firing with a "noid light". Got my set at Harbor Freight.

Tim

74 Half Cab 351w 3 speed, SN95 Mustang EFI, 2 1/2 SL, 1 inch BL, 33's, 4.09/4.11's P/S (Delphi box), All Ford disc conversion, Factory bench seat
Coming Soon, Ford ZF or NV3550 and grafted rear quarters
Timmy390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/19, 06:39 PM   #6
suckerpunched
Contributor

Central Ca.
I am running an in tank pump and like that system better but I did an EFI conversion on my brothers CJ7 12 years ago and used a frame mounted pump. He has never had an issue.

Is there a fuel return hooked up from the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail back to the tank?

I would verify your fuel pressure when it is running and check it when it is not running too, although sounds like it will be zero at that point.

When you cycle the key off and on without cranking the starter, you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds and stop? If it runs constantly or not at all would tell us something. if it does not run at all, can you hear the fuel pump relay click when cycling the key? if so you should verify the fuel pump is getting power through the relay.
suckerpunched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/19, 11:36 AM   #7
JLBachs

Vincennes, IN

My Gallery
Garage
Any chance you could have a plugged fuel strainer in the tank causing the pump to work as hard as it possibly can?

1975 U15 explorer serp, 4x4x2ps conv., 1" WH b/l, 31-spline Yukons, traction-locks front and rear, F150 knuckles, roller 5.8L
JLBachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/19, 01:21 PM   #8
SHX669
Bronco Guru

Oregon
I had similar issues with a couple of electric fuel pumps , quit pumping after getting hot and or burn up . It turned out to be a problem with the PO wiring .
I'd use a relay and run 12V wiring directly to the pump - if you haven't done that already.
SHX669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/19, 01:30 PM   #9
ScanmanSteven
Contributor
Bronco Guru

New Florence, MO
Garage
Itís probably the computer. There are some capacitors on the board that go bad and cause this issue. Contact EFIguy, he can fill you in on how to fix it. Try running a hot wire through a switch to the fuel pump, switch it on when you turn the key on and my guess is you have found your problem. I had a similar problem, took forever to figure it out.

1976 Bronco 351W EFI Serpentine setup, ZF5 speed, Behemoth doubler, Twin sticked NP205, 3 linked Dana 60, 4.88 w/ARB, 35 spline inner and outer chrome moly axles, shaves 14 bolt w/Yukon grizzly locker, beadlocks w/ 39.5 TSL tires.
ScanmanSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/19, 02:37 PM   #10
PaveBronco
Contributor

Fort Worth, TX

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanmanSteven View Post
Itís probably the computer. There are some capacitors on the board that go bad and cause this issue. Contact EFIguy, he can fill you in on how to fix it. Try running a hot wire through a switch to the fuel pump, switch it on when you turn the key on and my guess is you have found your problem. I had a similar problem, took forever to figure it out.
He did a good UTube video on how to do it, I just followed it, easy...
PaveBronco is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Tags
efi, fuel pump, mustang computer