Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 02/13/19, 09:35 PM   #1
m_m70
Contributor

Bronco's Rule!

SF Bay Area
Garage
front passenger wheel tub

Hey all,
Has anyone got wheel tubs that were wider than stock?? my stock tubs were like 11.25" and the replacement is 12.5" across the top. It fits but really cuts down on the amount of room needed to get to spark plugs, headers etc.

'70 302, TFS 170s, Edelbrock 500 carb, weiand stealth intake, pertronix ignitor 3, LnL long tube headers, true duals, quick ratio power steering, power front disk, 2-1/2" suspension lift, Bilsteins on the corners, 1" body lift, 456 gears, 33 X 12.5 ATs
m_m70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/19, 09:49 PM   #2
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Interesting. Never heard that particular issue crop up that I remember. Since it's a '70 and not a '77 it won't have anything to do with the wheel well tilting downward to clear the brake booster.

Not sure what the difference is.
But it would not hurt to check with a couple of the vendors to make sure theirs are the same. Maybe others here will have that info and will answer.
Where did your new one(s) come from? If they're ours, I can maybe find out if they're all the same. Guessing they are, but it never hurts to verify.

Where are you measuring too by the way? Right at the top seam?

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/19, 10:29 PM   #3
m_m70
Contributor

Bronco's Rule!

SF Bay Area
Garage
Hey Paul,
Passenger side tub is the one with issues. It's only the top that's different. the bottom is at 14" where it has to be to clear the coils and shock mount. I did get this from you guys so I'll call in the am to see if this is a fluke or some change in design.

thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel well 2.jpg (50.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg wheel well 1.jpg (52.0 KB, 49 views)

'70 302, TFS 170s, Edelbrock 500 carb, weiand stealth intake, pertronix ignitor 3, LnL long tube headers, true duals, quick ratio power steering, power front disk, 2-1/2" suspension lift, Bilsteins on the corners, 1" body lift, 456 gears, 33 X 12.5 ATs
Old 02/14/19, 12:00 PM   #4
m_m70
Contributor

Bronco's Rule!

SF Bay Area
Garage
Verified with WH that their part is wider than stock and that is the only one they sell.

Went with other vendor for OEM size. Not ranting but would have been nice to know this.

Old 02/14/19, 02:25 PM   #5
kylakekevin
Contributor

Western KY
Garage
That should be in there description if it's not!

1967 sport, 351 Cleveland, top loader 4 speed, Dana 20
kylakekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/19, 03:42 PM   #6
m_m70
Contributor

Bronco's Rule!

SF Bay Area
Garage
yeah there's really no description whether it's OEM or not. I should have called to check I guess. I did leave a review stating the dimensions are different than stock so if someone is looking to do an OEM resto they can see it's not stock and make their decision off that.
Wouldn't be that big of deal but it affects the way my heater hose, dipstick and wiring is currently routed.

All good, got the OEM size ordered and should get tomorrow.

Old 02/14/19, 04:33 PM   #7
kylakekevin
Contributor

Western KY
Garage
I have a 351 C in mine and it's already tight, I would just hate to have it any tighter than what it already is.

1967 sport, 351 Cleveland, top loader 4 speed, Dana 20
kylakekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/19, 08:56 PM   #8
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_m70 View Post
Verified with WH that their part is wider than stock and that is the only one they sell.
That's crazy. I was not aware of that, and it's a tight enough fit in there already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylakekevin View Post
That should be in there description if it's not!
Agree 100% and I'll see if I can make that change.

[QUOTE=m_m70;3170704]yeah there's really no description whether it's OEM or not. I should have called to check I guess.

Not really. Unless specified otherwise, you would have no reason to expect it to be different. No reason to call and check then.

Quote:
I did leave a review stating the dimensions are different than stock so if someone is looking to do an OEM resto they can see it's not stock and make their decision off that.
Good. Thanks for doing that.
It's a good first step towards getting the description "accurized".

Quote:
I have a 351C in mine and it's already tight, I would just hate to have it any tighter than what it already is.
Even stock it's tight. Headers, heater hoses, larger engine swaps, just make it more so.

Thanks for bringing this up m_m. Now we'll see what's up at our end.
If anything, a narrower version would be a benefit!
Hmm, a wider top (for working and storage) that necks down just underneath to less than stock width. Makes more room for heater hoses, headers and all that cool stuff. Heck, the heater hoses could be mounted to the underside of the top overhang! There we go. The new classicbroncos.com high-clearance wheel house. Kind of like they do on pre-'69 Mustangs when they want to put wider engines in.

Thanks again m_m. And very sorry you had to go through this, and be the first to bring it up.
Let us know how the "regular" one works out.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/19, 10:47 AM   #9
m_m70
Contributor

Bronco's Rule!

SF Bay Area
Garage
No worries Paul. The reasoning I got from WH was they're wider to accommodate larger tire sizes.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech