• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Won’t go into first

Thatbroncokid

Hey all,

I’ve got a 1970 with a 302 and 3 speed. Been driving the truck around for a few days now, and it will not go into first unless I’m basically completely stopped. Maybe this is normal, I’m not sure. The problem is if I’m say turning around in a culdesac, the engine starts bogging out and bucking Because it’s still in second. It goes thru all the gears while stopped with the engine running no problem.

pipeline010

According to original operators manual, first gear is only down shifted at 0 mph. I don't fight it, but can get it into first when rolling just a bit, so what you're saying regarding down shifting is normal. Generally speaking you should never down shift any stick to first unless stopped.

At real low speed in second give it a bit more throttle and slowly ease up on the clutch. If you do that and it bucks you've got a different issue.

Broncomt

You can always "double clutch ". What we did with trucks with no synchros.

OP
OP
T

Thatbroncokid

According to original operators manual, first gear is only down shifted at 0 mph. I don't fight it, but can get it into first when rolling just a bit, so what you're saying regarding down shifting is normal. Generally speaking you should never down shift any stick to first unless stopped.

At real low speed in second give it a bit more throttle and slowly ease up on the clutch. If you do that and it bucks you've got a different issue.

Awesome. Thanks so much!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they said basically. While it is a synchronized gear, it's just not set up for easy downshifts while rolling more than a couple of miles an hour.

It is doable though, as with just about any manual transmission you can double-clutch it after giving it a bit of a throttle blip.
Doing this with some of these transmissions will not let you downshift at 15mph or anything like that, but with some you can get quite good at downshifting maybe as high as 8-10mph when in need.
Just takes practice, like anything else.

In fact, if you don't know how to shift without the clutch you should learn. It's an acquired skill, but can come in very handy when your stock clutch rod snaps in the middle of your commute!

And speaking of general maintenance... When was the last time the transmission was gone through, or had the fluid replaced?
This can actually make a difference in some gearboxes. Didn't make a huge difference in mine (but mine was pretty well maintained anyway) but in some it's practically a shifting-miracle!

Paul

OP
OP
T

Thatbroncokid

Thanks for the input Paul. This is my first manual vehicle (I’m 18), so maybe shifting clutchless is just slightly out of reach still :p. I’ll give the double clutching a try tomorrow and see how she goes. Fluid was just replaced in both diffs, the transfer case, and the transmission.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Perfect! And there's no time like the present to learn.
Even though I "knew" how to do it, from watching and learning from the old-timers (my dad) I didn't really master the clutchless shifting until the day my linkage broke on the way to work!
Mainly because I just had not practiced. And the few times I did I did not like even light grinding (a little really does not hurt the trans. Just your senses!) when I messed up.
But after that I felt I could shift anything, any way, any time.

So don't rush it, but don't shy away from it when you have time to mess around.
You familiar with the double-clutching process for downshifting? If not let us know and I'm sure a bunch will chime in with their exploits over the years.

And don't go crazy with the Bronco either (says the old man to the young man%););D ) since you're still a "relatively" new driver of only a few years now, or maybe only a couple, these Broncos are not bad drivers for what they are, but they are still 50 year old technology that needs to be treated that way.
Especially when just learning about them!

What's the overall shape of yours? Good brakes? Not too high? Normal stuff is in good shape?

Have fun!

Paul

OP
OP
T

Thatbroncokid

You’re definitely right. Might as well learn now! Haha. My pops explained double clutching to me and when I told him y’all said the same, he was pretty happy with himself haha. I put in power steering, hydroboost, and a 2.5” lift. It’s on 33’s. Perfect height right where I want it. Any higher would be too much for me I think. I replaced a lot of the brake lines and did all new bushings up front. She rattles and shakes here and there but again, like you said, 50 years old! I made sure that the brakes and steering are perfect, and most other things are a work in progress.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if the clutch is grabbing to close to the floor, or to close to the top, it is out of adjustment.
The clutch should grab more in the middle.
If the clutch is out of adjustment it will magnify this issue.
Good luck

OP
OP
T

Thatbroncokid

hey guys quick update, turns out im a complete doofus and i had my shift rods hooked up wrong on my duff floor shifter. The whole bogging in second thing wasn't bogging in second because i was actually in third!! I've been driving around corners at 5 mph in 3rd gear for like 2 weeks. I never drive far so i never had a reason to put it into third until today. went to drop it into third and to my surprise, the engine revved way up, and i realized that im really not as smart as i thought i was haha!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Surprise! Well at least you found it. Do you have the instructions to get them sorted?
Thanks for the update.

Paul

OP
OP
T

Thatbroncokid

Surprise! Well at least you found it. Do you have the instructions to get them sorted?
Thanks for the update.

Paul

Yes I do thankfully! Should be an easy enough fix just gotta flip the bracket 180 where it attaches to the transmission.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Glad you figured it out.
& Another trick you can use. When your backing up & Need to start moving forward.. Shift it into 2nd gear & then back down into low.or 1st. You can even put a slight amount of pressure on it while it's in 2nd by letting out on the clutch just a SMIG .. ALL YOU DOING is stopping the guts of the trans from moving . But when you pull it back into 1st gear it should NOT grind at all.
... This too, takes a little learning curve..
Happy Trails to You......

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the input Paul. This is my first manual vehicle (I’m 18), so maybe shifting clutchless is just slightly out of reach still :p. I’ll give the double clutching a try tomorrow and see how she goes. Fluid was just replaced in both diffs, the transfer case, and the transmission.

Love this /\/\

18 and driving an eb

Good stuff right there.

I have had mine since I was 13.

I remember proudly driving mine at 18.
Felt like I was on top of the world and they weren't near as popular back then in the 80's.

Kudos to you Broncokid