• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flowmaster or Magnaflow?

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
What's up to all!

I have Flowmaster 60's and they are starting to fall apart. the 60's have been great but since I deleted the side exhaust and send it out the back, I feel its too quiet. So, I think I'd go to the 40 series if I stay with Flowmaster. But....I've always loved Magnaflow. Who has had both or either and what do you like? My Specs now are, 351W, WH Long Tubes, Flowmaster 60's. Nothing else will change but the Mufflers.
Thanks!
Mike

Attachments

• 071B1586-AB56-47F3-950D-B204C4555CB0.jpg
    071B1586-AB56-47F3-950D-B204C4555CB0.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 98
  • E82A15CA-917A-4DD3-B0F6-AF557A1058A1.jpg
    E82A15CA-917A-4DD3-B0F6-AF557A1058A1.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 102

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I've got dual 40 Flowmasters and headers, used to exit in front of the rear tires, loud, changed it to where it exits out behind the rear tires, still loud. I'm going back to manifolds and single exhaust at some point soon lol. Most of my driving is highway and the noise gets old.

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
I've got dual 40 Flowmasters and headers, used to exit in front of the rear tires, loud, changed it to where it exits out behind the rear tires, still loud. I'm going back to manifolds and single exhaust at some point soon lol. Most of my driving is highway and the noise gets old.

Hmmm, When you changed to the rear did it quiet it down a lot?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
In town it's still doable. 65-70mph on the highway between the exhaust and the wind noise it's pretty bad imo. No top and no doors on the trails it's still pretty loud imo also. I didn't realize how loud it was on the trails until I rode in another bronco and I could talk in a normal voice and visit with the driver lol. Maybe it's just me as I get older too.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I’ve found Flowmaster 50’s to be a good happy medium.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
That's a hell of a thing! Never knew there was a 50! That could be perfect! thx

Pretty sure that's what the other bronco I was riding in was running behind his 351 was two 50's.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Magnaflow unless you like drone. I've run Magnaflows and would never own a Flomaster unless it's at least a 60 series which are too quiet and restrictive.

I've ridden in and been on trails with Flowmaster equipped rigs and they get old ...fast. Quick run to the store but nothing for hours at a time.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had the Magnaflow, Flowmaster and Gibson.

My choice is the Round Gibson Superflow. I have a 2-into-1 exhaust with Dual 2 1/2" pipe inlets and 3" outlet with the Tailpipe exit at stock location.

The 758219 is a 7"x19" version and has a great V8 sound with NO drone inside.

The 759800 is a 7"x24" version that sounds the same, just a little quieter.

These two mufflers, I have found, not only sound great but they fit better than any other.

Many other configurations are available and all the Gibson Super Flow mufflers are reversible.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I’m running dual 50’s, with an H pipe and no drone.
Nice chambered sound without being annoying.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
No one has mentioned the Delta series Flowmasters.

Specifically made to stop all drone on the highway.
They are available in 40 and 50 series. An additional Chevron shaped chamber increases the vacuum that Flowmasters are known for but it also cancels the drone.

I have been running Delta 50's for a few years now.
Very quiet and absolutely zero drone.
A noticable bump in power over my restrictive Thrush turbo mufflers they replaced.

So I say it again....
Check out the Delta series Flowmasters
No drone

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256591

nvrstuk

Contributor
This is a great reference chart.

For stock or near stock engine output you have at least a dozen more options than high HP engines.

I couldn't find my old charts ...

http://www.exhaustsoundclips.com/cfm.pdf

One last thing- HP/engine flow makes ALL the difference in the world with the same muffler & exhaust system. So when comparing stockish 351 to a stroker or a totally stock 302 to hi-performance 351 you will not have similar exhaust tone or db levels. Night and day difference...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200212-074953_Dropbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20200212-074953_Dropbox.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Anyone try the Walker Quiet Flows?

Just put one on my Samurai along with header, no cat and 2 inch exhaust and it is slightly louder than stock and seems to flow well.......I know it's not a V8 but it sounds good....not like a ricer....

Tim

nvrstuk

Contributor
I've heard nothing but good the past few years about the Walker series in stock applications.

trekgurl

Porter's on mine. Sound a little more sedate than the 24" rd Magaflow's. Magaflow's did okay for 3-4 years, but started to sound "blown out". Porter's are all steel, including the packing so we'll see how that goes.

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
Another vote for flowmaster 50 Delta series. I'm running two into one with a single exit out the rear passenger.
No drone. Sounds healthy but certainly not obnoxious. Has that 'classic' flowmaster sound but way more refined and subtle than the 40's.
Personally, I think flowmasters fit the personality of my bronco better than the magnaflows. The magnaflows (again, to me) have more like a high revving, racier sound. They tend to be kinda poppy when you get on it.

I'd rather be driving my Bronco

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Hi Kane - I installed the Duffs 2 into 1 with Flowmaster delta 44 on my 351w. It sounds good, low rumble, no drone but it does sound slightly aggressive. PM me your phone # and I can shoot you a video if you want to hear it. I personally love it, my buddy at work commented “your Bronco sound sick!” Which gives me some personal satisfaction:). Even my 13 year old daughter loves the sound (I’m basically 13 in a 50 year old body). it’s classic muscle car for sure.

Last edited: